PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi test marketing Dr. Wham

CitrusCola
05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I heard recently of Dr. Wham being spotted at some stores in eastern NC. It seems that Minges Bottling Group is selling Dr. Wham for a limited time:

Dr. Wham, Pepsi (http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/lifestyles/dr-wham-pepsi-s-dr-pepper-1.1980493)

Interesting. Dr. Wham is probably the best of the Dr Pepper clones.

SodaFan16
05-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Never tried it before. Is it better than Pibb?

Mr Zabe
05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Dr. Wham by far is the best Dr.Pepper clone that I have ever tasted. It would be super cool
if the Chicago market gets it.

SamC
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Dr Wham belongs to Pepsi's Alabama, west Gerorgia, Florida panhandle bottler, Buffalo Rock, under its "Sunfresh Beverages" DBA. Sold in the parts of its territory where it does not have a Dr Pepper contract. Not to Pepsi.

Wonder if this is a deal Buffalo Rock is making with other similarly situated Pepsi bottlers directly, as opposed to through PepsiCo?

CitrusCola
05-30-2011, 08:34 AM
It appears that Carolina Canners in SC is producing Dr. Wham now.

Carolina Canners, Inc. (http://www.carolinacanners.com/)

drpep
05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
On the Dr. Wham facebook page one person reports they found diet in Luray, Virginia which is in the northwest part of the state off I-81. Pepsi would not have Dr Pepper in this area.

lordmadone
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Virginia beach beverages is distroing it in Hampton Roads area..tried it..not a fan.

drpep
06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Found it in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Kind of weird. I found it in the front of the store in a large display of Pepsi 12 packs yet on the other side of the store Dr Pepper and Pepsi 24 packs were on display

halloaaryn
06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Pepsi needs to forget about Dr Frankie Goes to Hollywood and bring back Dr. Slice. That stuff was GOOD.

fusion
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Harrisonburg = Dr Pepper Staunton territory.

With the cubes, it's probably that the store groups Dr Pepper in with the Pepsi products by default, even though Pepsi doesn't sell it (or Dew, in that area).

Like with the ShopRite stores in Maryland - Dr Pepper goes on sale with the Coke products, even though Pepsi distributes it. I think it's that way because Coke distributes Dr Pepper in areas where most of the other ShopRite stores are, so it falls in by default.

drpep
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Plant code on ther cans is CH, Carolina Canners? Can does say "packed by Buffalo Rock Co., Inc" so maybe CH is one of Buffalo Rock's codes. The code on the bottle was unreadable but the cap had the Buffalo Rock logo printed on it.

Dewman1979
06-14-2011, 02:30 AM
Pepsi needs to forget about Dr Frankie Goes to Hollywood and bring back Dr. Slice. That stuff was GOOD.

I think they want to call it Dr. Flock of Seagulls to avoid using the brand name "Slice".

halloaaryn
06-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I think they want to call it Dr. Flock of Seagulls to avoid using the brand name "Slice".

I would totally drink something called Dr. Duran Duran.

HA!

fusion
06-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Plant code on ther cans is CH, Carolina Canners? Can does say "packed by Buffalo Rock Co., Inc" so maybe CH is one of Buffalo Rock's codes. The code on the bottle was unreadable but the cap had the Buffalo Rock logo printed on it.

Buffalo Rock only has one code - BR. They used to have a second plant in Georgia, under the name Sunfresh (code was GA, I believe), but they shut it down a few years ago.

CH is Carolina Canners, Cheraw, SC. My guess is that Buffalo Rock is contracting out the packing to Carolina Canners, but just using the same cans that they use.

Dewman1979
06-15-2011, 05:03 AM
I would totally drink something called Dr. Duran Duran.

HA!

I wouldn't. Since it would probably taste like bubble gum crap.

Mr Zabe
06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
LMAO
Ditto

danielh
07-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Found it in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Kind of weird. I found it in the front of the store in a large display of Pepsi 12 packs yet on the other side of the store Dr Pepper and Pepsi 24 packs were on display

Harrisonburg is Dr Pepper Staunton territory. However, they buy their product from Pepsi's Roanoke plant (code GE). This is what amounts to the confusion, so there's cubes of Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew everywhere. They also buy from RC Winchester.

In the case of Martin's/Giant, they tend to lump Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew in with Pepsi sales because it's included in most of Western MD and Central PA.

Pepsi Shenandoah there has always had weird stuff. They still have Sun Drop and Cheerwine, and they used to have 7Up (dropped for Sierra Mist), NuGrape (dropped for Crush), so it doesn't surprise me they'd pick up Dr. Wham.

Dewman1979
07-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Alert me up, before it show shows, so I can see if it is a go go. Alert me up, before it show shows, since I'd like to be in the know know.

Somebody tell me,(somebody tell me if) If it taste any good, (or is it a copy, just another copy) OOh!

thejax
07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
All I have to say is I hope this Dr Wham stirs up the competition and make Coke bring back the original formula of Mr PiBB. It has been 10 years now. Whose ever idea it was in Coke Corporate to change the formula I hope was fired. And I am trying to be nice about that.

CitrusCola
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I came across some 20-oz. Dr Wham (both regular & diet) at a convenience store near Danville, VA today. The same store also had several Tru-Ade flavors in 20-oz. plastic bottles.

CitrusCola
08-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Buffalo Rock has listed several new Dr. Wham distributors on their website:

Buffalo Rock - Beverages and Food Services (http://buffalorock.com/products/dr_wham.html)

Mr Zabe
08-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Buffalo Rock has a very good $10 per case pluse shipping e-store cost.

Dr Wham Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Wham/155852481115706#!/pages/Dr-Wham/155852481115706?sk=info)

CitrusCola
09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
I was in the Morehead City, NC area over the weekend, and I was surprised to see how strongly the Pepsi distributor there was pushing Dr. Wham. I even saw a Dr. Wham machine in front of a convenience store:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/cced5.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/cced5)