PDA

View Full Version : 1.25 liter Coke. Why?

drpep
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Billboards and Sunday coupon inserts in the Roanoke, Va area are promoting 1.25 liter bottles of Coke for .99c

ThePieHole
06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
A cute, but ridiculous, reason:

New 1.25 Liter Coca-Cola Package Rolls Out as Part of Brand?s 125th Anniversary Celebration : BevNET.com (http://www.bevnet.com/news/newswire/2011/new-1-25-liter-coca-cola-package-rolls-out-as-part-of-brands-125th-anniversary-celebration/)

ATLANTA–(BUSINESS WIRE)–As part of Coca-Cola’s continuous drive to provide fans with more ways to enjoy the brand they love, a new 1.25 liter package, featuring Coca-Cola’s signature contour shape, will begin rolling out this month.

Just in time for the celebration of the 125th anniversary of Coca-Cola, the new package is hitting store shelves across the southeast, with additional rollouts planned across the U.S. this summer. The perfect take-home size for smaller households, the 1.25-liter bottle, which will be available for less than $1.00, extends the growing stable of Coca-Cola packages designed to provide people with more ways to enjoy the beverages they love.

“The new Coca-Cola 1.25 liter package gives families a new way to take home their favorite brand and share some happiness, for less than $1.00 every time,” said Katie Bayne, President and General Manager, Sparkling Beverages, Coca-Cola North America. “Households come in all shapes and sizes today, so we’re continuing to expand our packaging roster to offer something for everyone at a price that’s right for them. When people reach for our products we want them to have choices.”

Coca-Cola drinkers value variety and want just the right sizes to fit their needs. In recent years, new packaging introductions, including the 90-calorie mini can and the 16-ounce single serve bottle, have expanded the choices that consumers have both in the store and in the home when choosing their favorite beverages.

The launch of the 1.25 liter bottle provides people with yet another option when it comes to take-home beverages for sharing, and complements the current 2-liter package. For larger families and special gatherings, the 2-liter bottle is still a perfect choice. But for many smaller households, the new 1.25-liter package will be the perfect size.

In addition to Coca-Cola, a variety of other brands, including Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite and Fanta, will also be available in the new 1.25 liter bottle.

The Coca-Cola Company

The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, the Company’s portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply and Georgia. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, juices and juice drinks and ready-to-drink teas and coffees. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company’s beverages at a rate of 1.7 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. For more information about our Company, please visit our website at Coca-Cola: The Coca-Cola Company (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com).

fusion
06-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Without being too wordy and getting into the semantics of it all, basically it boils down to this - the price. 99? at all times.

Eventually they'll be out in the whole US, but on a staggered timetable. We were supposed to have them last week, but they pushed the rollout back, now I think it's August.

drpep
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
It's kind of selling less for more. For years 2 liters were .99c on sale for extended periods of time. They'd go off sale for a few weeks then go back on for .99c. Now you get almost a half liter less for the same price that 2 liters were.

I like the idea though. Most every week I have dinner at my parents on Friday. There is usually a two liter bottle of Pepsi or Coke that was probably purchased for $1.25 or $1.49. After dinner at least .75 liters is left which usually goes down the drain. .99c for about the exact amount of soda that was consumed seems decent compared to @.40c being poured down the drain.

SavageHenry
07-02-2011, 10:23 AM
We have the 1 liter, 1.5, and 2 liter's here. The 1 liters and 1.5's don't sell anywhere near as much as the 2's. All of them are a pain to deal with.

ATownAndrew
07-06-2011, 07:43 PM
If this is sold chilled for 99 cents then it will be a good deal, otherwise I'll pass.

drpep
07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I've yet to see either Pepsi's 1.5 liter or Coke's 1.25 liter sold chilled.

ATownAndrew
07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm guessing some independents will sell it chilled but if chain stores are told not to sell it chilled they probably won't - haven't seen 1.25 L Coke here in CA yet though. I did see 1.5 L Pepsi for 99 cents at my local Food 4 Less (not chilled) along with the 2 L going for $1.59 I think. Food 4 Less is only store I've seen 1.5 L Pepsi though. Food 4 Less also had glass bottle Mexican Coke, Sprite, and Fanta Orange in the Coke Cooler near the front registers for 88 cents :) (plus tax and CRV) along with 20 Coke products for $1.39 - $1.49 I think. Hmm 88 cents for a real sugar, 12 oz glass bottle soda, or $1.39 for a HFCS, plastic 20 oz bottle. That's any easy one, can you guess which one I bought several bottles of:)

lordmadone
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
1.25 liter cokes spotted at two different Farm Fresh(es) in my area..retailing at 99cents. We rolled out 1.5 liters months ago and are doing great with them retailed everyday at 99cents..so coke in a sense is kind of jerking the consumer..

XLS_04
09-04-2011, 11:49 PM
The 1.25 liter and 1.5 liter Coke bottles are pointless and a waste of shelf space in my opinion.

Mr Zabe
09-05-2011, 09:35 AM
The 1.25 ltr Sprite is working out well for me. I have been cutting my soda pop drinking down. I can make a 1.25 ltr last for two days. The carbonation keeps strong. I really like the shape of the bottle too. For a $.99 price point, I must give Coke some thanks. I have lowered my Pepsi addiction to one or two cans a day and use the 1.25 ltr Sprite for those quick soda pop fixes. The 1.25 ltr works for me.

Themaster73
09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
In some NYC area stores 1.25 liter Coke for the 125th Anniversary costs $1.25, others can be 1.09

Looks like a waste of space (may even do worse than the 1.5 liter), they should just fill the space with Mexican real sugar drinks: Coke, Fanta (various flavors), Sprite, and Fresca (sugar, no aspartame).

ATownAndrew
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks like a waste of space (may even do worse than the 1.5 liter), they should just fill the space with Mexican real sugar drinks: Coke, Fanta (various flavors), Sprite, and Fresca (sugar, no aspartame).
Totally agree

joshal1980
09-10-2011, 05:00 PM
We are selling these 1.25 Liters for $0.99 here in Wisconsin. When you look at it compared to Two 020 oz bottles it is a great deal. Two (20 oz) bottles which would cost you about $3.18 is a little over a 1.25 Liter.

Themaster73
09-11-2011, 02:24 AM
If you are a member of My Coke Rewards the overpriced 20 oz bottles are cheap (tax + deposit only) with the free 20 oz Coca Cola product coupon (the only worthwhile way to buy a 20 oz product).

Mr Zabe
09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I spoke with the Coke merchandiser at a local grocery store yesterday.
He said that his chain stores move the 1.25 liters good. IMO..the 1.25's and the
1.50's are going to be the "loss leaders" with the 2lts ending up not being
put on "hot sale" as much.

I found Pepsi 1.5 ltrs on sale for $1. Is it me or are the 1.25's and the 1.5's bottles made with a thicker material?

XLS_04
09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
The 1.25 liters and 1.5 liters might be a way for the soda companies to keep the prices the same and raise the price of the 2 liters. Although the 2 liter bottle has always been the best bargain compared to other sizes.

Hacksaw
09-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Lucky had those 1.25L, as well as glass bottle Mexican Coke, Sprite, and Fanta Orange.

BluejacketT
11-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Found the 1.25 liter Coke at Dollar General. I bought one for $1 & enjoyed it.