PDA

View Full Version : Starting up Bottled Water company

ontario
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi, hows everyone doing? I am new to these forums and just had a few question on starting up a bottled water company.

1.) I have found a supplier for the bottle and water costing around 0.25 cents per bottle.

2.) I was wondering how can I get this to as many shelves as possible? Will distributors get the product to the shelves or will I have to contact stores and ask them to carry my product? I was told by a company that the distributors will find the stores, price the bottled water, and pay me.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention that the bottle including water is from a Canadian source and I would be based in Canada wanting to distribute the product starting from Canada and then moving internationally.

Please do let me know.

Thanks!

boodoo
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I would be very careful investing my time and assets in a bottled water product. The grocery, mass-merch, drug and c-store channels are full of brands that they buy for much less than $0.25 per unit, typically in the 0.5L PET bottle. It is very common to see major brands here in the states retail for under $5.00/case of 24. Unless of course you can justify to the consumer why your brand is a "premium" and worth a much higher retail (FIJI, Evian.....).

ontario
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi, thanks a lot for the info!

Do you know how these other companies produce units for much less then 0.25 cents? Currently for me it takes 0.25 cents just for me to produce it so selling it will need to be much higher then that.

The water is from a natural spring and its estimated that it takes 100 years to achieve this natural level of purity for the water. Everything is done onsite.

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated! :)

ATownAndrew
07-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Bottled water is so overpriced. I don't know why people would pay more than $1 for a bottle of water unless they're in a tourist destination. I drink Brita filtered tap water at the house and fill up reusable water bottles for being on the go whenever I can. I think the bottled water market in the US is pretty much tapped out (pun intended). They are so many brands out there (store, low end, mid range, high end) and any new brands not from one of the big companies is going to have a hard time finding shelf space.

ontario
07-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi, I was told that distributors take possession of the water and sell it for you. Is this true?