PDA

View Full Version : Coke cans go white

drpep
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Starting Nov. 1st thru February Coke's cans will be all white with the polar bears on the can. This is a tie in with some wildlife organization.

XLS_04
10-25-2011, 11:58 PM
I seen this on the news today. Thanks for letting us know though. The thing I noticed with Coke though is their graphics have really become boring looking the last few years. The white cans will also have that horizontal oversized "Coca-Cola" logo with no dynamic ribbon.

The Caffeine Free Coke logo still has the word "classic" on it even though they said they were going to drop the word 2 years ago.

SamC
10-27-2011, 08:20 AM
KO is again developing a bad case of being out of touch with its market.

1 - Remember the first diet Coke can? You know why it was not a simple reversal of the Coke can of the era (red on white, rather than white on red), but rather had thin silver stripes? And why KO abandoned that and went silver? Because market research shows that a segment of the population associated white with dairy products and another segment with beer cans. So now KO is doing the opposite.

2 - Remember the original diet Coke? Or the dozens of current products for which the visual cue for Diet is a reverse color can of the base color on white (Dr Pepper, Sprite, A&W, etc). So confuse the customer with a white standard product.

3 - YOU INVENTED SANTA CLAUS!!! At least the modern western image of him. So, after 80 years, this year's Christmas can has a bear, and no mention of Christmas.

4 - Indeed tied up with "some wildlife group". In other words, forgetting that the ONLY duty of a corporation is to maxmize profit. And it does that by agreeing that the customer, every single one, is always right. Leaving politics (which is different from regulatory capture) to individuals. KO is the prototype multi-national corporation. Wisely having NO OPINION on any issue other than "buy more Coca-Cola" in 200 countries. Now tied up with the global warming fanatics. An issue that billions of people disagree with or simply do not care about.

They are losing their way, again.

drpep
10-27-2011, 05:13 PM
It's not a Christmas can. It is tie in with the World Wildlife Fund to raise funds to protect the polar bear's habitat. There will also be white bottle caps on several Coke products. The white packaging will contain a code that people can text to donate a dollar to the WWF. The cans come out next week and continue until February 2012.

popologist
10-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I think SamC is disappointed that Coke is ignoring the Christmas holiday this year. I imagine that a lot of people will. In fact, it will probably cost them some sales.

SamC
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
It is tie in with the World Wildlife Fund to raise funds to protect the polar bear's habitat.

And there are billions of people on this earth who either disagree with the theory that the polar bear's hibitat is in any danger, with the theory that what the WWF is going to do is the right thing to do, or who simply could not care less about a polar bear.

KO's job is to sell Coca-Cola. It does that, whether its customer be an American, a Mexican, a Vietnamese, a Chinese, a Taiwanese, a Russian, a Israeli, a Jordanian, or any other person, by having an opinion on only one subject:

"Its the Real Thing".

ATownAndrew
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
^Dude, chill out. It's a soda can.

I'm sure a lot of people will think its cool and its a good theme for winter (Nov-Feb). The polar bears have become one of the most beloved icons for Coca-Cola and the tie-in with WWF works well with that. Coca-Cola is doing this for their PR image to show "hey we're not just a heartless corporation, we care about the environment that surrounds us". Its a win-win for Coke and WWF, Coke gets a good image (at least in the short term) and possibly increased sales and WWF gets a fundraiser to its cause. And you're exaggerating saying billions don't believe that Global warning doesn't exist or that polar bears aren't in danger (did you mean millions?). 98% of scientists and the majority of the World's population believe in Global Warming or Global Climate Change, but that's a whole another argument. I'm looking forward for these polar bear cans to come out.

fusion
11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Polar bears have been used in Coca-Cola holiday advertising for years now. They have also had polar bear plush toys, ornaments, and so on. To take that awareness and use it for something positive (creating a polar bear refuge) is a good step, and shows the company is committed to environmental efforts, plus there is the halo effect with consumers.

You're complaining about the lack of Santa, but then go to say that it's Coke's job to sell soda to people all across the world? How many of them celebrate Christmas? How many of them believe in Santa?

Santa will be prominently featured on the 8 ounce glass bottle packages, as well as (if I remember correctly) the 4 pack of Hutchinson bottles that will be sold at Walmart.

The white cans will be sold inside of 12 and 24 packs, as well as ringed 6 pack 12oz cans, and 8 pack 7.5oz cans. I just hope there is enough media coverage as to not confuse consumers into thinking it's another flavor.

I've seen the polar bear wraps on 20oz bottles, I like them. I never cared for the cartoonish polar bears used in the advertising, but I like the regular bears just fine.

sublimecitrus
11-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Saw some today here in Canada (Saskatchewan) at Zellers.

I can't be bothered to buy Coke in general (unless it's cherry coke/cherry coke zero), so a white can isn't going to change my mind.

hitokage
11-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Santa will be prominently featured on the 8 ounce glass bottle packages, as well as (if I remember correctly)
You are correct in that - I saw them yesterday at Walmart, although I didn't think it was too prominent, but then again the packaging is smaller.

There is also the possibility that perhaps they will do both somehow. I seem to remember people complaining when they didn't have Santa Claus on the cans/bottles one year (2005 from a Wikipedia article), so he's been back every year since. I'm not sure if only having him on the 8oz bottles will make people happy, as they seem a bit pricey.

fusion
11-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure if only having him on the 8oz bottles will make people happy, as they seem a bit pricey.

A lot of people collect the glass bottles, so this is something new for them to add to their collection. Plus, the retail price of the 6 pack glass bottles dropped across the board in most stores, down about a dollar from before. The 8 packs of cans also dropped in retail.

hitokage
11-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes there are the collectors, but then there are the regular people/average consumers that want Santa on the cans and/or 2-liter bottles for their holiday get-togethers/parties or just because - they may be disappointed. I guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

I'd like to get the 8oz bottles myself, but I always think of how much they cost in comparison to cans and 2-liter bottles and end-up not buying them.

This brings up something you may be able to answer for me. What is the reason the 12oz PET bottles retail for more than cans? I would think the aluminum would cause the cans to cost more, but I've never worked directly for the beverage industry (I have worked in retail).

popologist
11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
They should've given customers a choice. Instead, they're forcing half of the population to support an organization (WWF) that many view as too political... and some people, like Rush Limbaugh are already making noise about it. Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant. He has a right to his opinion, and Coke should've steered clear of this type of controversy... or at least given people a choice... by still producing holiday-themed packaging for those who want it. I actually think this will hurt their sales. The reality is that the people most critical of Coca-Cola over the years generally fall on the political left. Putting a polar bear on the can is not going to change their minds... just like it's not going to change Rush Limbaugh's mind.

They should've avoided politics altogether. It's a mistake.

hitokage
11-09-2011, 02:44 AM
You are correct in that - I saw them yesterday at Walmart, although I didn't think it was too prominent, but then again the packaging is smaller.
I saw these again today, and now I'm trying to figure out why I thought the Santa graphic on the cardboard container were small. Maybe I saw the backside, or it was just because I didn't pay too much attention and was distracted looking for other products.

ATownAndrew
11-11-2011, 04:53 AM
They should've given customers a choice. Instead, they're forcing half of the population to support an organization (WWF) that many view as too political... and some people, like Rush Limbaugh are already making noise about it. Whether you agree with him or not is irrelevant. He has a right to his opinion, and Coke should've steered clear of this type of controversy... or at least given people a choice... by still producing holiday-themed packaging for those who want it. I actually think this will hurt their sales. The reality is that the people most critical of Coca-Cola over the years generally fall on the political left. Putting a polar bear on the can is not going to change their minds... just like it's not going to change Rush Limbaugh's mind.

They should've avoided politics altogether. It's a mistake.

A small amount of people on the extreme right (like Boss Limbaugh) may find a polar bear and a WWF logo on a Coke can too political, but most people will find it cute and for a good cause. I think these cans will sell well and the only problem that may arise is the white color of the cans might confuse some people to thinking its Diet Coke or Coke Zero or another Coke flavor. Pepsi Throwback has been the cola of choice at my household lately but I will be buying Coke for the holidays thanks to the white cans and the fundraiser with WWF.

drpep
11-11-2011, 06:56 PM
They should've given customers a choice. Instead, they're forcing half of the population to support an organization (WWF)

No one is being forced, it's up to the buyer to text the code to make a donation.

fusion
11-12-2011, 01:00 AM
If you're disappointed with the 6 pack bottles, wait for the Hutch 4 packs to hit Walmart in the next week or so. The Santa is a lot bigger.

And drpep is right, the donation is made when you enter the code.

Themaster73
11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
World Wildlife Fund is the reason why the World Wrestling Federation (or World Wrestling Federation Entertainment) became World Wrestling Entertainment

popologist
11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Is it just the cans? I saw 2-liters of Coke today that still had red packaging... but also the polar bears.

Diet Coke, Sprite & Coke Zero all have the same snowflake design. I haven't seen any Santas.

fusion
11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Yep, just 12oz and 7.5oz cans will be white. All other Coke packages will have bears with a red background. Sprite, Fanta Orange, Diet Coke and CF Diet Coke will also have holiday packaging.

Santa will only be on glass bottle packages this year. 8oz glass (everywhere) and 4pk 9.3oz Hutchinson (Walmart).

fusion
11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Update: The cans will be going back to red next month. Beverage Digest posted a picture of the can, which features the same graphics as the bottles.

Twitter (http://twitter.com/?photo_id=1#!/BeverageDigest/status/138686785709547521/photo/1)

XLS_04
11-21-2011, 06:13 PM
why? the white cans stood out.

XLS_04
11-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Aside from these graphics Coke has not really done anything the last 4-5 years with their sodas, are they getting lazy? Whats the story there? Please don't say Mello Yello because re-introducing Mello Yello is not really anything people notice or care about.

Will Coke atleast come out with new graphics on the cans and bottles? People get bored with the same thing too long. Atleast Pepsi keeps coming out with stuff, even though I don't like their logo anymore.

Suprised people have not talked much about this on here, it's almost as though it's ignored just because it's Coca-Cola.

fusion
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Seagram's went retro this year.
Diet Coke became the #2 soda.
Sprite graphics were updated with a more retro feel.

They've also tweaked some of the other graphics, giving them a cleaner, less cluttered look. I noticed recently that the bucket part of the fridgepack on some flavors isn't easily identifiable, as they have extended the graphics right over it.

Soda sales are basically flat in this country (no pun intended). The growth is in other areas, like energy drinks, tea, water, and so on. Coke has been putting their focus on those areas. They've brought a lot of new Monster products to market, bought out the remaining portion of Honest Tea (which is currently rolling out new graphics), and Gold Peak is seeing explosive sales growth. Minute Maid pure squeezed was launched a few months ago, Powerade numbers are up, especially Zero, which is through the roof. White Cherry is finally going national, with a Zero planned for next year. They've brought out a few new NOS flavors, with more to come.

And actually, most people don't get bored with the same thing. When we have stock up sales, people often buy 3,4,5,10, etc of the same exact flavor. And even with the Freestyle, the #1 dispensed beverage is regular Coke.

It is actually very expensive to bring a new product to market, and failures are even more costly. PepsiCo is smart in that they innovate with strong brands like Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Coke seems more about diversifying their packaging offering, like 12oz bottles, 16oz bottles, 14oz bottles, 7.5oz cans, 1.25Ls, 12.5oz bottles, and so on.

XLS_04
11-23-2011, 01:16 AM
I agree with you about soda sales being flat but if Diet Coke is the #2 soda in the US then that means either less people are drinking regular Coke now, or less people are drinking Pepsi and switching to diet Coke. So there is a decline in sales for one of those products.

As far as the Freestyle machine, I think alot of people don't know how to use it correctly so they just chose what they know easiest. For the multiple sizes of these products there are just far too many sizes. The 7oz and 1.25 liters and 12.5oz six pack plastic bottles usually don't sell as well as the other sizes. So I think they are wasting time with those sizes.

XLS_04
11-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Why are they changing the white cans to red after less than one month?

Themaster73
11-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Coke needs to at least make Orange Coke (20 oz, 12 pack) for a while if it does well at the Freestyle.

RayGlow
11-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a different take on the White can.... either my taste buds are misled by the color change or Coke changed the formula. it tastes sweeter and less fizzy to me. I can hardly stand to drink it now. I actually prefer Pepsi to Coke in this new can, and I never did before. I still taste other foods the same so I knoe I haven't lost my sense of taste. What is it ???

jl1718
12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Why are they changing the white cans to red after less than one month?
People b!tched and moaned it looked too much like diet coke.

PepsiBlue
12-03-2011, 12:01 AM
You tellin me more people bitched it looked like diet than people complained about no santa?
LIES! Santa should be on the bottles and cans!

drpep
12-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Let's not forget the morons who claim the Coke in the white cans tastes different than the Coke in the standard can.

CitrusCola
12-03-2011, 07:34 AM
This article gives a good summary of the situation:

Coca-Cola Holiday Cans - Coke Can Change - Delish.com (http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/white-holiday-coke-cans-replaced-due-to-consumer-outrage)

SamC
12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
KO looks foolish, and has to get proper red cans ramped up on short notice.

Lessons learned?

- White means "diet".

This is the easy one. KO's too many MBAs could not learn that.

But the other lessons are valid as well.

- Stay out of politics.

The WWF is an orginization that billions of people disagree with. If some KO middle manager does not, then he should donate to it, out of his own pocket. Corporations have ONE duty, to maximize profit, and you do that by sticking to your business.

- Santa Claus is Christmas.

Remember the flaps about Target saying "season's greetings" and Dr Pepper issuing cans with a redacted Pledge of Allegiance? Doesn't matter if they are true or not. People are sensative to that, and people hold iconic companies (KO, Disney, McDonald's, etc) to a higher standard. You keep Santa on the cans, every year.

popologist
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I have to agree. I'm a big fan of Coca-Cola, but... I hope their holiday sales take a hit for their experimentation with politics. Why alienate half of the country by getting political? It's dumb business.

Secondly, as SamC noted... as far as Coke is concerned... Santa is Christmas. Snowflakes & snowmen & polar bears are nice... but most consumers want to see Santa. He's a harmless, cheerful, secular symbol of an important holiday to 2 billion people. Why not celebrate that with them... like they have for over 100 years?

Memo to Coca-Cola: Don't fix what isn't broken. Haven't you learned anything from the recent fiasco with Pepsi's package redesign (or "new" Coke)? *sigh*

Mr Zabe
12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Well said!

Tannerman
12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
While media outlets covered the "Coke removing the white can" story pretty well, we've done some followup research on BevReview (http://www.bevreview.com/2011/12/09/2011-coca-cola-arctic-home-white-cans/). Some of their media releases seem to retroactively change history regarding the plans for the white cans.

ATownAndrew
12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that article Citrus Cola. My answer is people are stupid. Read the freakin can! If a white can was in a red cardboard box, how did you get it confused with diet? Yes, a white can on a taco truck cooler might be confusing until you take a second look and realize its a limited edition can. At least they are keeping the polar bears on the can, they are just switching the white with the red. And to the people complaining about the optional code to donate the WWF's Polar Bear Fund or the lack of Santa on a can, stop being such big crybabies! Wah! Wah! Wah! There, I said enough. Moving on.