PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried Coke Freestyle? What did you order? What are your impressions?

popologist
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I tried it at McDonald's recently in Manhattan and, like the other customers, was excited to use it.

I tried Raspberry Coke Zero (for those who were wondering).

It's very easy to use, and boasts over 100 flavors.

My only criticism is that my concoction was a little sweet. And my buddy who was with me also thought his Fanta Zero was also a little too sweet. A bit too much concentrated syrup, perhaps? It was still tasty though.

fusion
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Perhaps too much sweetener. The bag-in-box part of the machine is the sweeteners - either the hfcs bib, or the zero calorie one (not sure of the formulation, but I'm guessing aspartame/ace-k).

I've had a few of the fantas, grape vault, raspberry coke, orange coke, and some other stuff I don't remember. I didn't care for the lime fanta.

drpep
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I tried one over the summer. At a Firehouse Subs during lunch hour. My fear of people taking their time choosing their drink was unfounded, everyone knew what they wanted, filled the cup and moved on. I was somewhat underwhelmed, don't know what I expected, plus at that time I realized I was tired of carbonated drinks (was on vacation) so I chose Grape Hi-C which turned out to be an excellent choice.

SodaFan16
11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Can't find any in Chicago. :(

drpep
11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Ever hear of google? Chicago has at least 2 dozen.

esw01407
12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
I got to try one a few weeks ago at a Firehouse Subs in VA. There was a backup at the machine which was a slight problem. The only other complaint I had was the machine didn't have Pibb, it had Dr. Pepper. Otherwise, fun to use, my Cherry Vanilla coke was good.

popologist
12-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I was just at the website and noticed that the Freestyle offers Coke Zero with Lemon... but no Coke or Diet Coke with Lemon. I wonder why...

drpep
12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I wonder how much waste there is? How many people fill their cup with Coke Orange, take a sip, find they hate it and dump it then go back for plain Coca-Cola.

SodaFan16
12-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Ever hear of google? Chicago has at least 2 dozen.

There's none close to where I live.

lordmadone
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I honestly would like to try it..ive seen some pretty cool looking coke touch screen vending machines that reminded me of possibly being freestyle machines in a mall next to me..I was somewhat hypnotized..

drpep
12-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I found out several Wegmans in Rochester have Freestyle so I drove up to try one. This time I had plenty of time to play around with it. I finally chose Pibb Xtra Cherry. It was good, the cherry flavor was more noticable in this than the cherry in Dr Pepper Cherry.
Next time I head to Rochester I will start off on one side of town with something new like Coca-Cola Orange then finish the day across town with something I've had already.

drpep
12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I was just at the website and noticed that the Freestyle offers Coke Zero with Lemon... but no Coke or Diet Coke with Lemon.

The website shows Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero with no flavor choices yet the machine I used offered cherry and one other flavor (vanilla?) for both Pibbs

mcmannors
12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
The only other complaint I had was the machine didn't have Pibb, it had Dr. Pepper.

How is that possible? Unless I'm wrong, I was under the impression that there were no regional restrictions on Pibb on tap... only on Pibb in cans/bottles in regions where Coke bottles Dr Pepper..

In any case, I have tried the machine at the Duane Reade store on Wall Street in Manhattan. The Pibb Zero was great! My only complaint was that the machine did not carry Mello Yello or Mello Yello Zero...aren't those products owned by Coca Cola? If so, why aren't they available on these machines?

fusion
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Actually, they now have Mello Yello. I stopped at the Wegmans in Bel Air MD today, and here is what I saw:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/garya/freestyle-my.jpg

However, the California Tortilla I stopped at in Glen Mills PA a few weeks ago still had Vault. I think it has to do with their supplier's supply of Vault concentrate - as it runs out, they switch the machines over.

fusion
12-09-2011, 11:20 PM
How is that possible? Unless I'm wrong, I was under the impression that there were no regional restrictions on Pibb on tap... only on Pibb in cans/bottles in regions where Coke bottles Dr Pepper..

Coke has agreed to allow Dr Pepper in the machines. Previously, you had to ask for it, or they had a separate tap for just Dr Pepper. It is possible that Firehouse Subs already had a contract with DPS to serve Dr Pepper.

Burger King is supposed to be rolling the Freestyle out next, and I have a feeling those machines will have Dr Pepper in them as well.

drpep
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
The article I read about Freestyle at Burger King confused me. One part implied all stores will have Freestyle, later it said only corporate BKs would be getting them.

Also, the Freestyle I used last week in Rochester had Mello Yello.

fusion
12-10-2011, 05:29 AM
It's corporate stores. Same with Five Guys, unfortunately. But hopefully the franchisees will get on board as well.

Though it does require a fair amount of training for the crew. And they don't have ice makers, so the restaurant would have to buy one.

mcmannors
12-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Yesterday I checked out the Freestyle machine at the Wawa in Aston, Pa. There, they had regular and diet Dr Pepper instead of Pibb, plus they had Mello Yello as well. I did not see Mello Yello Zero, however.

ATownAndrew
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I tried a Coke Freestyle in August at a Wing Stop in San Jose. I had Peach Fanta, Peach Vault, samples of Peach Sprite, MM Raspberry Lemonade, MM Strawberry Lemonade, and a Raspberry Coke for the road. The Strawberry/Raspberry flavors of MM Lemonade were very good, Peach Sprite was also very good, Fanta Peach was pretty good, Peach Vault wasn't as good as I expected (should have gotten Vault Red Blitz), and Raspberry Coke was weird at first, but grew on me on my drive home. This Freestyle machine had Dr Pepper/Diet DP over Pibb Xtra, and Vault instead of Mello Yello. The only choice I thought was pointless was the Seagram's button, which I was expecting to have Ginger Ale but just had Seltzer Water. It was funny watching several people push the Seagram's button expecting Ginger Ale and pushing the back button when they just see Seltzer Water. I check the Coke Freestyle Facebook page once in awhile to see where the nearest location is - still over 100 miles away from me:( I wish someplace around me would get the Freestyle machines, or a chain like In-N-Out, Jack in the Box, or Carl's Jr would get Freestyle machines for all their locations.

whotony
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
The Aston Wawa has been my Freestyle for awhile now. I think it was the first one in Pa.

I have been to the one In Cali Tortilla too but never saw the Vault in it. Must have been a short time because I was there well before Fusion posted that and after, never saw the Vault.

fusion
02-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Moe's Southwest Grill corporate locations will also be getting them. And more c-store testing as well.

whotony
02-18-2012, 05:55 PM
If they had Barqs red cream they would be perfect.

ATownAndrew
03-05-2012, 03:52 AM
I wish In-N-Out would get the Coke freestyle machines.

orange_slice231
07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
They don't have one in my area, so I never had it. Also, why doesn't the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines serve regular Caffeine-Free Coca Cola? I know they have it in diet, but I don't drink diet soda.

SodaFan16
07-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I wish Chicago had In-N-Out. :(

Mr Zabe
07-23-2012, 10:02 AM
I finally tried the Coke Freestyle soda pop machine at a Mexican resturant
(forgot the name) in Shamburg Ill. I was not all that impressed. The Coke and Sprite straight flavors were just ok. I really enjoyed Mellow Yellow mixed with Peach. I also had Fruit Punch Hi C and Coke mixed with grape flavoring.

CitrusCola
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I finally got to try the Freestyle recently when one was installed at a Burger King up the road from my house. I wasn't overly impressed. The options were limited and they had no Pibb or Pibb Zero (had Dr Pepper instead). I ended up trying Coke Zero with Lime (okay) and Coke Zero with Orange (not so good).

Dewman1979
07-24-2012, 05:15 AM
I like having a 60/40 mix of coke and coke zero both with raspberry. And I also love peach Mello Yello.

imawalkingcorpse
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
They have it several places here and I really enjoy the Mello Yello with a big shot of Fanta Lime.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-25-2012, 02:14 AM
I tried the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine both times in my two recent trips to the U.S.!... and I loved it!!!, one in a Fuddruckers location on downtown at San Antonio, TX. and the other one in a Boston Market location in California... my favorite flavors were Coke vanilla, Coke orange, Coke raspberry, Sprite peach, Fanta peach, Vault Peach and Vault Grape :9...and sometimes in order to try all the flavors I poured just a little bit of every flavor and then I drank it... but unfortunately I couldn't try them all :P ...the only mistake is that I poured too much ice on the soda and a few hours later I got a cold... :o(... LMAO! :D

ATownAndrew
08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
A Burger King near me in San Luis Obispo, CA now has the Coke freestyle (with Dr Pepper and Mello Yello) -actually they've had it since BK upgraded its menu in February. A few days ago I was at this BK and had a Carolina BBQ Whopper combo w/ sweet potato fries (much better than their regular fries) and had a Powerade Lemon while waiting for my food (not bad), a Barq's Vanilla Root Beer w/ my meal (not much different than regular root beer, but its still root beer), and a Hi-C Raspberry Lime to go which was sickly sweet and I had to add ice to it later to delude the sweetness (I would not get this flavor again).

ATownAndrew
08-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I tried the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine both times in my two recent trips to the U.S.!... and I loved it!!!, one in a Fuddruckers location on downtown at San Antonio, TX. and the other one in a Boston Market location in California... my favorite flavors were Coke vanilla, Coke orange, Coke raspberry, Sprite peach, Fanta peach, Vault Peach and Vault Grape :9...and sometimes in order to try all the flavors I poured just a little bit of every flavor and then I drank it... but unfortunately I couldn't try them all :P ...the only mistake is that I poured too much ice on the soda and a few hours later I got a cold... :o(... LMAO! :D

How do you get a cold from putting too much ice in a drink?:confused:

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
How do you get a cold from putting too much ice in a drink?:confused:

I forgot to mention, it was winter and it was freakin' cold outside :P

lordmadone
08-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Found out some were in my area..gotta try them out this week.

Dewman1979
12-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Mello Yello zero has been added here in the Puget Sound area.

doulasc
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
We have some here in Columbus Ohio at some Burger King,Wendy's and Firehouse subs. I had a "Cherry Vanilla Dr.Pepper" I see someone said they had Vault.I thought Vault was discontinued.

Dewman1979
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
We have some here in Columbus Ohio at some Burger King,Wendy's and Firehouse subs. I had a "Cherry Vanilla Dr.Pepper" I see someone said they had Vault.I thought Vault was discontinued.

it was. They switched tp mello Yello late.

Troy The Vault Drinker
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Peach Mello Yello or Cherry Sprite.

imawalkingcorpse
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
They have it at one Burger King around here, we have them at Five Guys, and a couple of the sub places around KC.

drpep
06-17-2013, 10:59 PM
YES!!! Finally, a Freestyle machine here in town! Grape Hi-C and diabetes!

fusion
06-19-2013, 04:58 PM
A BK down the street from me that was closed for a long time and remodeled reopened with a Freestyle, at least according to the freestyle locator website. Haven't been in there myself to confirm.

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/

fusion
07-29-2013, 09:36 PM
The Coca-Cola company posted this today:

Top ten exclusive Freestyle drinks

1. Barq's Vanilla
2. Coke Cherry Vanilla
3. Minute Maid Strawberry Lemonade
4. Sprite with Strawberry
5. Coke with Lime
6. Sprite with Peach
7. Hi-C Strawberry
8. Minute Maid Raspberry Lemonade
9. Sprite with Cherry
10. Coke with Raspberry

Looks like Sprite people are the most experimental. Maybe Coke should do some brand extensions.

imawalkingcorpse
08-02-2013, 11:18 AM
A couple of the Burger Kings here have them now. Although they completely re-did one close to me and did not install a freestyle machine.

fusion
03-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Most if not all the Burger Kings around here now have freestyles. Coke is close to placing their 20,000th freestyle. That's pretty crazy.

Swifty
05-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Moe's Southwest Grill has had the Freestyle for a few years now. They recently introduced a proprietary flavor - Moe's Vanilla on Peachtree. As best as I can tell, it's just the vanilla and peach flavors mixed with sparking water. It's available in both regular and diet.

Do any other restaurants have their own drink in the Freestyle?

fusion
05-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Peachtree is also a main street it Atlanta.

I don't think any others have any exclusive flavors. The only differences I know of are that some carry Pibb and Pibb Zero, while others have Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper.

Swifty
05-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah - I think Peachtree Street in Atlanta was the first Moe's location. The ones in this market (Charleston, SC) originally had Mr Pibb in their machines for a few months. Then they switched to Dr Pepper. Same flavors - Cherry and Cherry Vanilla.

orange_slice231
06-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I tried it twice out of town. It was awesome!

Dewman1979
06-13-2014, 03:24 AM
I really want these to go into mini-marts. Love the peach and raspberry flavors.

hitokage
06-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Coke should add a remote management screen, so employees know when the status of the various cartridges and are alerted when they run out. Depending on the hardware they used it could be an incredibly easy feature to add.

fusion
06-20-2014, 07:58 PM
The machines communicate what drinks the machine is selling. I don't know if they communicate service issues. There should be some way that the machine could relay the syrup info to a call center employee who could contact the restaurant to let them know a certain syrup is empty. I think the system the way it is now relies on people telling employees that a syrup is out. Which most people won't do. They'll just get something else. Unless it was something big like Coke or Diet Coke, I bet.

hitokage
06-28-2014, 08:01 PM
I would think having a call center employees do it wouldn't work very well. I've not seen the internals of a Freestyle, except for the cartridge area after letting an employee know when the something was out, so I can only speculate.

The three options I can think of are:
1 - A remote monitor that only shows the management screen all the time by interfacing either directly to the hardware or via a PC accessing and interpreting the data on the Freestyle or a via a webpage served by the Freestyle.
2 - If cartridge levels are sent to Coke, or can be, then another option is to have a private website hosted on Coke's webservers that the operator can access showing the status of the cartridges.
3 - Last, but not least, some kind of indicator light that is easily visible from a distance indicating that the Freestyle needs attention.

DMC
07-12-2014, 10:48 PM
we have these in our firehouse sub locations and in some hardees/red burrito locations here in the stl area. pretty awesome. my 4 year old loves it.

fusion
07-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Apparently with the new version of the app for the iPhone you can interact with the machines. I am on Android so I can't confirm that. I did see a QR code on the screen of a machine in a Burger King last week.