PDA

View Full Version : Buying American Pop Online

Shootmaster_44
12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I was in the Los Angeles area lately and enjoyed a few different things. However, of course I was flying and thus was restricted to what they had inside LAX, which was nothing special. So I'm curious whether there are any places online that I can order things and have them shipped to Canada relatively cheap. I found Dr. Soda which had everything I wanted, when I put together my order it said shipping would be $127 with regular USPS shipping. Likely that will be the cheapest way to do it.

Anyway, what I am looking for is Cherry Coke, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Mello Yellow, Code Red Mountain Dew, Cactus Cooler and Welch's Strawberry. Anyone have any ideas? For that matter does anyone know if there are stores in the Edmonton to Saskatoon areas that carry any of these? I'd make a drive up to Edmonton to pick stuff up. Yes I know I could simply drive to Montana to pick up stuff too, but that's a 7 hour drive and I'd need to spend 48 hours there.

At least I can pick up Mexican Coke and Pepsi in Saskatoon now. I haven't been over to the store, but the ads in the newspaper promote it.

sublimecitrus
12-19-2011, 02:35 AM
I've looked into it, and I don't think there's any way you can avoid the obscene shipping costs due to weight. Weight drives the courier business, and usually the more something weighs, the more it costs to send. Boxes of soda, as you know, weigh probably 4-6 lbs, so yeah.

The best way to get the types of pop you want is to drive down to the states with an empty trunk and buy a ton.

... Don't think I haven't thought of it.

As for the mexican coke/pepsi, where can I buy said cola? I live in Saskatoon and I haven't seen/heard anything about it.

Shootmaster_44
12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and head to Montana. I might see what shipping is like on one 12 pack from Dr.Soda though. I would like some Cherry Coke bad.

As for the Mexican Coke in Saskatoon, there was one of those introduce your business articles in the StarPhoenix about a month ago. Apparently, Las Palapas (I might have the name wrong but the Mexican restaurant on Victoria Ave.) has opened a store that sells their entrees for take home, Mexican knicknacks and according to the article Mexican cola, which I took to mean both Pepsi and Coke. I believe it is in the old Taj Mahal location on Broadway in the same building as Clans, Celts and Clovers (where if you're a pop enthusiast, you can pick up some Lilt. I don't care for it, but my sister loves the stuff reminds her of her trip to Scotland.). I haven't been to Saskatoon since I read about it, but I will be home for Christmas and am definitely stopping by there on Saturday to stock up.

sublimecitrus
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and head to Montana. I might see what shipping is like on one 12 pack from Dr.Soda though. I would like some Cherry Coke bad.

As for the Mexican Coke in Saskatoon, there was one of those introduce your business articles in the StarPhoenix about a month ago. Apparently, Las Palapas (I might have the name wrong but the Mexican restaurant on Victoria Ave.) has opened a store that sells their entrees for take home, Mexican knicknacks and according to the article Mexican cola, which I took to mean both Pepsi and Coke. I believe it is in the old Taj Mahal location on Broadway in the same building as Clans, Celts and Clovers (where if you're a pop enthusiast, you can pick up some Lilt. I don't care for it, but my sister loves the stuff reminds her of her trip to Scotland.). I haven't been to Saskatoon since I read about it, but I will be home for Christmas and am definitely stopping by there on Saturday to stock up.

I may have to go to both of those places while I'm home.

If you're really dying of cherry coke, just head to 7-eleven and use those fountain machines that have cherry flavouring in them. I've found that it's pretty close to the taste of real cherry coke... but not exact. Denny's also has "cherry coke" and"vanilla coke" if you ask. (Again, just the syrup and regular coke)

I'll probably head on down to Minot in the Spring... assuming that they still don't hate us Saskatchewanians for the flooding.

Shootmaster_44
12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I may have to go to both of those places while I'm home.

If you're really dying of cherry coke, just head to 7-eleven and use those fountain machines that have cherry flavouring in them. I've found that it's pretty close to the taste of real cherry coke... but not exact. Denny's also has "cherry coke" and"vanilla coke" if you ask. (Again, just the syrup and regular coke)

I'll probably head on down to Minot in the Spring... assuming that they still don't hate us Saskatchewanians for the flooding.

Which 7-11 have them in Saskatoon? The ones here in Lloyd do not. I always get Cherry Coke at Denny's, sadly again none here in Lloyd. I've been trying to track down the syrup and can't find that here either.

Let me know whether you can get both Coke and Pepsi at Las Palapas El Mercado. I'm guessing it will be much pricier than the $1.50 I paid in LA.

sublimecitrus
12-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Which 7-11 have them in Saskatoon? The ones here in Lloyd do not. I always get Cherry Coke at Denny's, sadly again none here in Lloyd. I've been trying to track down the syrup and can't find that here either.

Let me know whether you can get both Coke and Pepsi at Las Palapas El Mercado. I'm guessing it will be much pricier than the $1.50 I paid in LA.

The 7-eleven on 8th street near The Keg has the syrup fountain machines for sure. I would imagine that the other ones on 8th street may as well.

I think I'll head to that market tomorrow. I love Las Palapas so I might end up buying more than just the mexican coke/pepsi.

Shootmaster_44
12-19-2011, 09:32 PM
The 7-eleven on 8th street near The Keg has the syrup fountain machines for sure. I would imagine that the other ones on 8th street may as well.

I think I'll head to that market tomorrow. I love Las Palapas so I might end up buying more than just the mexican coke/pepsi.

I'll have to check it out when I'm in town for Christmas. By the way I was wrong about the location of El Mercado Las Palapas. Its next to the Nino's on Broadway not where Taj Mahal used to be. If you're curious here's their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/elmercadolaspalapas?sk=info

It appears that you can other Mexican pops there too. I definitely will be checking out some of them too.

sublimecitrus
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I went today. They sell Mexican Coca-Cola (saying Mexican Coke might get them busted for selling something else!) and some other fruit flavoured soft drinks. The Mexican Coca-Cola is actually reasonably priced. I bought two for under 4 bucks.

They also sell some Mexican candies, Mexican artsy crafty things and the popular glassware they use in their restaurant. I'll go back for sure.