PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Dr Pepper done

drpep
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Dr Pepper Snapple Group acquires franchise rights.

Dr Pepper deal leaves small-town Dublin with a bitter taste | State | News from Fort Wor... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/11/3653725/dr-pepper-deal-leaves-small-town.html)

CitrusCola
01-12-2012, 07:37 PM
That stinks.

I wonder if Dublin Bottling Works could start bottling sugar-sweetened versions of other nostalgic sodas?

UncleBob
01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Sad day for me, as I never got to try it! :(

Was going to order two bottles tonight, but dang... not after seeing these prices. :(

fusion
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
The plant will live on, as Dublin Bottling Works. They will indeed still produce other sugar-sweetened sodas, and run the museum and still sell licensed Dr Pepper memorabilia.

Although it is a very sad chapter in soda history, I think that Dublin DP realized that DPS could easily destroy them and stop the production and distribution of sugar sweetened DP, even with the demand that exists. So they may have acquiesced to DPS' demands simply by throwing up a white flag, and allowing DPS to buy out their franchise rights, with a promise to continue selling sugar-sweetened DP.

Too bad it couldn't have ended differently. I'm sure this is a big black eye for DPS in the eyes of loyal Dublin DP customers, some of whom have vowed to never drink another DPS product.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I understand the ramifications of the trademark discrepencies and such, but what a way to toss one of your best marketshare states in the garbage. And being such a distant number three in the beverage world, you think that they wouldn't want to be the "evil corporate guy" and leave that up to blue or red.

DPDude
02-05-2012, 04:42 AM
That stinks.

I wonder if Dublin Bottling Works could start bottling sugar-sweetened versions of other nostalgic sodas?

The Dublin plant has been producing Suncrest Orange, Big Red, Triple XXX Root Beer and NuGrape made with real sugar and bottled in 10oz returnable (heavy glass) bottles. They also sell these flavors in their fountain at Old Doc's Soda Shop. I haven't visited the plant in several years but the last time I was there the only way you could actually buy the product in glass bottles is to trade them one for one with empty 10oz returnable bottles so that they could continue to clean and re-use them. When "Ifs Ands and Butts" soda shop was still open in Dallas back in the early 2000's the owner had each of the flavors on hand to drink right out of bottle, the only catch being that you had to consume the product there and leave the bottle so that he could return them to the plant in exchange for more.

It's the end of an era unfortunately. Since the museum at the Dublin plant is supposedly still open (for now at least) I need to make another trip up there and visit the place. If you're planning on being in the north Texas area anytime soon I'd highly recommend checking the place out.

Something that wasn't mentioned in the article though is whether or not Dublin will continue to have it's Dr Pepper festival every June. On the day of the celebration they normally and ceremonially rename the town Dr Pepper, TX. I imagine that there is a lot of bad blood going around Dublin about this decision.

fusion
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Dublin is now bottling Cheerwine. Still doing Triple XXX, but the rest of the flavors are now Dublin-branded. Cola, grape, creme, cherry limeade, vanilla cream (why cream and not creme? Who knows...), orange cream, and tart-n-sweet lemonade.

bigrich
06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I just read that Dublin can no longer sell Big Red.