PDA

View Full Version : Soda (CSD) rankings for 2011 from Beverage Digest

popologist
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Not much has changed from last year, except that Fanta moved up one slot. Coke Zero still hasn't cracked the Top Ten (but must be very close by now).

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2012.pdf

fusion
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Zero is still stuck at #11, though I don't know how close to Diet Dr Pepper it is. DDP is trending down, while CZ is trending up. I am honestly surprised it's taking this long for Coke Zero to make the big push into the top ten.

I think there are some things that are currently occurring, and will continue to occur that will help CZ in the long run. The expansion of the Freestyle machine into corporately owned Five Guys, Burger Kings, and Moe's. With franchisees having the option to pick up the machines as well. Fountain is a fairly easy way to up your gallonage without as much packaging versus bottle/can.

They are also using CZ as the lead brand in many marketing plans - Battleship the movie, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, March Madness, Coke Zero 400, and so on.

There is also opportunity as Pepsi further fragments their cola offerings, now with Pepsi Next.

I wonder though.. does the CZ number incluide Cherry Zero and Vanilla Zero? Isn't it time for another CZ extension? Coke has been incredibly quiet in the soda innovation realm, instead focusing on tea, juice, water, energy...

popologist
03-29-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country, but in NYC Coke Zero seems to get nearly as much shelf space as Diet Coke & is routinely almost sold out... so it's hard to figure out why CZ still has such a small sliver of the market... except that, I guess, soda fountains are a bigger chunk of the overall market than I imagined.