PDA

View Full Version : Flash pasteurization options for start-up

spopov
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone

I'm starting a juice company. After a considerable amount of research, I came to the conclusion that flash pasteurization is the best method of preservation for my particular beverage. As a start-up working with limited resources, (around 50k). What are the best ways to go about doing this?

Is my only option to outsource? If possible, I would like to keep the process in house. However, buying a flash pasteurizer is expensive. I've received quotes of 50k and up to set up a system. At first I would like to bottle the beverage myself in small quantities. Even if I were to outsource toll processors would most likely require a larger volume.

Is there a cheaper way to do this?

Thanks all

ArtisanHills
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Hello,

How many units are you trying to produce out of one batch? I would try flash pasteurizing using pots, stop watch, and thermometer.

Give more details on your product.

spopov
03-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Hello,

How many units are you trying to produce out of one batch? I would try flash pasteurizing using pots, stop watch, and thermometer.

Give more details on your product.

A few hundred. Its going to be a 100 percent vegetable juice, mixed with lemon juice. What I would like to do is bottle some samples and see if there is interest before making a large financial commitment. I know its possible to pasteurize at home using post, but I was under the impression that doing this would be more like regular pasteurization since the product wouldn't cool quickly enough.

ArtisanHills
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
A few hundred. Its going to be a 100 percent vegetable juice, mixed with lemon juice. What I would like to do is bottle some samples and see if there is interest before making a large financial commitment. I know its possible to pasteurize at home using post, but I was under the impression that doing this would be more like regular pasteurization since the product wouldn't cool quickly enough.

Too make it cool under sanitary/food handling standards, use an ice stick. It will cool any liquid in under 30mins in a room temp room. This is how I started myself. I use to "naturally pasteurize" my drink and then flash cool down.

Who is going to be your focus group? Where are you giving out your samples?