PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi and Mountain Dew back in 12 ounce glass bottles

bigrich
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Just bought some 12 ounce Pepsi and Mountain Dew in Glass Bottles. Pepsi in their new bottle and Mountain Dew in long neck, both with sugar only (no HFCS). They are in in 4 packs NDNR., except for Deposit States. It is great to see these return to stores, I have been without since 2001 when A.D. Huesing shut down their glass returnable line. The code on the bottles are PK.

BottleBoss
04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
These showed up at the Wegmans and The Wallys Mart in Frederick Maryland this week. They taste good. Real sugar, MMMMMMmmmmm.

bigrich
04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
This stuff sure is great, clean and crisp taste. I am glad it is the original Pepsi recipe and that it is not Throwback, since Throwback is missing citric acid.

Android
04-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I wonder which regions these will be sold in. Actually the normal Mexi-Pepsis in the "special import" bottles, which are what are found around these parts, are quite good. I'd like to sample these new ones, but as to when/if they'll appear around here, I'm not holding my breath.

bigrich
04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Right now there seems to be three different 12oz glass PEPSI bottles. The new bottle design with original formula from plant PK in 4pks., 6 Pack Long Necks from DR Pepper West Jefferson (original formula), and Mexican 12oz the same as Throwback. West Jefferson can be found from smaller bottlers like Memphis, MO (on their website). Anyone know where plant (PK) is located?

bigrich
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Bought some more today, this time from plant (GB). This is good as it confirms there are at least two plants bottling these.

ATownAndrew
04-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have pics of the new Pepsi and Mtn Dew glass bottles?

oz999
05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
What the heck happened to this place? In fact what happened to the soda junkies in general? They seemed to have disappeared.

I remember people going crazy over little insignificant changes to some random soda, but now we have the holy grail mountain dew in a glass bottle with sugar and nobody seems to care. (Yes I know West Jefferson is the best but that's not sold in many places outside NC)

Not to mention Pepsi in a glass bottle with sugar possibly in the areas not covered by the imported mexican pepsi. I would think this would be getting more interest.

I'm dying to get my hands on this without having to pay some ungodly shipping charge. Anybody have any idea when this will hit california if at all?

wirthy
05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Anybody seen these Mountain Dew bottles in the Phoenix, AZ, area? I've tried several Wal-marts and Targets, with no success.

orange_slice231
05-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Anybody seen these Mountain Dew bottles in the Phoenix, AZ, area? I've tried several Wal-marts and Targets, with no success.Some gas stations and convenient stores might have it. I've had Pepsi and Mountain dew from those glass bottles before, and they were awesome.

CitrusCola
05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
I saw these glass-bottled Pepsis and Mountain Dews in the Wal-Mart in High Point, NC last week. Those bottles also had the code "PK" on them.

James Cupp
05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I found both the glass-bottle Pepsi and Mt. Dew at the Walmart in Tappahannock, Virginia, tonight, both with the "PK" code. They were on a special display near the produce section and near another special display of the Pepsi "Special Import" from Mexico.

fusion
05-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Confirmed in Wilmington DE as well.

oz999
05-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Could I trouble someone to possibly ship me a 4 pack of this?

I talked to Pepsi main office and they have no idea when california will get this, same with the local bottler.

Android
05-31-2013, 08:14 PM
They've made it into Wyoming now. Just bought some (99 cents each) at the local grocery store a couple of blocks from here. Looks like we get the GB code. Jan 30 born on date?

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiNewGlassBottle-DateStamp.jpg

punkwarez
06-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Made its way to UT found in local convenience store PK code.

ATownAndrew
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Maybe we'll get them by Fall here in California.

Android
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
By the way, grabbed this snapshot of the wood rack they had set up at the local grocery for these:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiGlassBottleRack.jpg

drpep
06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Those Dew cans are something I've never seen.

Android
06-12-2013, 10:40 PM
You know, I noticed them, but didn't pay that close attention. I think they had some Pepsi ones the first time I was in there, but didn't think to take a photo at that time. The local Pepsi merchandizer is a friend of mine, we both worked for the same railroad contractor a couple of years ago, and as I used to work for Pepsi back in the mid 90s, I talked to him for about an hour or so last week when I ran into him at a local store. He asked me "did you see those aluminum bottles??" and he also noted that he unboxed and assembled that wood rack pictured above. Since aluminum is my least favorite container for Pepsi, and I don't like Mountain Dew at all, I paid only scant attention to the non-glass selections on that rack.

This is about the best I can do for a picture right now - I have like five decent digital cameras but all I had when I was in the store was my crappy cell phone.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/DewAlumuminum.jpg

fusion
06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Dr Pepper also used the aluminum screw-cap cans last year, though the distribution was very limited.

I also remember Powerade using them for two specialty flavors a long time ago, and Coke used them for canned Caribou Coffee a few years ago.

Soviet comrade
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
These 12 oz glass bottle cane sugar sweetened original recipe Pepsi-Colas in the new glass bottle are excellent!

I picked up 6 four pack cartons (case equivalent).. not sure about the twist cap though, I prefer the old style cap which has a different bottle lip.

KingOfDiamonds
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I just spotted these here in PA in a hess gas station. I picked up a mountain dew. I havent tried it yet though. I also found this wallstreet journal article: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130620-708512.html

fusion
07-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Found Sundrop in aluminum bottles at a 7-11 in eastern Maryland.

whotony
08-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I've seen the four pack in Target stores in Kissimmee florida.
Also see the Mexico coke and pepsi here and plenty of other real sugar brands

oz999
11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
These are finally in Southern California. Saw them at a local Wal-Mart but nowhere else.
As far as the dew I never had West Jefferson, and was too young for sugar dew in the 80's, so no idea how it stacks up.

Also it's been awhile since 1st run of throwback, but if I had to guess that's what this tastes like from what little I can remember of it.
The pepsi is more like mexican than throwback cuz my g/f hates throwback and likes the new 4 packs.

Like it, hope the dew is permanent at least, as I can't stand throwback dew in it's current form.

Android
11-07-2013, 05:21 PM
What date and bottler codes are on the ones that you've found? I posted a photo of the ones sold around here, and those were the ONLY dates I ever saw. If you scroll up and look at that image, you'll notice the expiration date was a couple of days ago. I bought out the last few at the local grocery store, leaving only Mexi-Pepsis on the shelf.

-Andy

skylark68
12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
We finally got these in the houston area. So far I've only seen them at walmart. I'll have to check the bottling code.

oz999
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
What date and bottler codes are on the ones that you've found? I posted a photo of the ones sold around here, and those were the ONLY dates I ever saw. If you scroll up and look at that image, you'll notice the expiration date was a couple of days ago. I bought out the last few at the local grocery store, leaving only Mexi-Pepsis on the shelf.

-Andy

Sorry took awhile

Currently 99 cent store has the pepsi only for 59 cents a bottle.
Mine has cases and cases of them.

Current MD

APR 28 14
DK

Pepsi from a week ago.

From 99cent store cases

Mar 03 14
PK

Pepsi from about a month back.

APR 14 14
GB

I know there was a MD that was GB as well a little while ago.

fusion
02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Looks like these are here to stay. I have seen the 4 packs in Walmart, and the Pepsi bottler in Salisbury MD (Pepsi Bottling Ventures) is including the singles in their cooler sets in a c-store chain called Royal Farms (Baltimore-based, mostly in eastern MD, southern DE, but expanding northward and taking on Wawa head-to-head).

fusion
02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
There was a pretty exhaustive list of Pepsi, Coke, and indie bottler codes on another beverage site, but it was mothballed and unfortunately the owner has since passed on.

I feel like I have seen some of these codes mentioned before, but I can't say for sure where they are located.

Dewman1979
03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Love the bottle dew. They sell it everywhere here. Walmart sells em for a buck a bottle.

berrmich
03-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Tried a 6 pack of MD. I didn't like them at all. I usually drink the West Jefferson mountain dew. Not sure what the difference is as the ingredients are the same. Beet sugar maybe?

-Mike

Android
03-15-2014, 09:14 AM
What was the bottler code on these? These most recent glass bottles, I've never seen in 6-packs, just 4-packs.

fusion
03-17-2014, 09:08 AM
If it says sucrose, it's probably beet sugar.

berrmich
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
What was the bottler code on these? These most recent glass bottles, I've never seen in 6-packs, just 4-packs.

Actually could have been a 4 pack. I don't remember. It said sugar on the ingredients. There was a distinct difference between the two that was not pleasant. I do drink the throwback cans and 20oz on occasion. Although not as good as west jeff, I still enjoy them. I thought maybe I got a bad bottle but they were all the same. My uncle, who also shares my west jeff stash, tried them on his own as well and came to the same conclusion. Running low... time to go get more. :)

-Mike

fusion
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Did you compare the ingredients list on each bottle? Any differences? It may also have something to do with the water it was bottled with, you never know. I think that WJ puts out a superior product, better than other bottlers.

fusion
03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Ok, I found a list of plant codes. Here's the info:

GB - Munster IN. Was built by Pepsi-Cola General Bottlers, who eventually became PepsiAmericas and then Pepsi Beverages Company.

Nothing on PK or DK. Possibility they could be copackers, not entirely sure.

drpep
03-18-2014, 07:51 PM
This is from Sparta, North Carolina 2013 and I would assume West Jefferson bottled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9433667@N02/4981733540/in/photolist-8AdFPA-iEF7R9-eaZSgZ-9XwQLs-8oa5h7-8rfU2Z-dWzMHm-e68mNN-8k6sFq-hzfJXJ-8me5Ye-8o5YZx

Harvey Smith
03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
They can also be found in Montreal, Canada

ATownAndrew
04-16-2014, 07:33 AM
I had a glass bottle Mountain Dew yesterday. Very good, better than the Throwback in cans. $3.49 for a 4 pack at Albertsons.

Holysmoke
06-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Do you guys think this is beet sugar? I am assuming it is. If it doesn't specify cane sugar it is usually GMO beet as I'm sure you all know.

I drive one hour to buy Boylan's cane sugar soda for $1.25 a bottle. I would switch to this if I could determine it was non GMO cane.

fusion
06-29-2014, 11:47 PM
$2.99 a 4 pack this week at Target.

newCOKEcanuck
07-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know if there are glass bottle six or four packs of real sugar Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew in northern Montana? I'm also looking to find Tab in 12pack cans in Great Falls Montana area? We have had four packs of glass real sugar Pepsi in Alberta for a year now which is such a treat, no other PepsiCo flavours here. Coke has been making small 8oz glass six packs of their five top flavours for many years but super pricy at $6 each plus deposit and taxes. I luv going to Montana and packing my car full as there are is no deposit or taxes in that state. Then I get deposit funds back when I take them to the bottle depot here in Alberta.

Dewman1979
07-03-2014, 04:23 AM
$2.99 a 4 pack this week at Target.

Not here. :(

Holysmoke
07-15-2014, 09:21 PM
went to walmart today.

they want $4 for 4 12 oz bottles of Pepsi with GMO beet sugar and $4 for 12 12 oz cans of Pepsi with GMO beet sugar.....

take a guess which one I bought.

edit: I called Pepsi and they confirmed it is beet sugar

Themaster73
07-17-2014, 03:24 AM
went to walmart today.

they want $4 for 4 12 oz bottles of Pepsi with GMO beet sugar and $4 for 12 12 oz cans of Pepsi with GMO beet sugar.....

take a guess which one I bought.

edit: I called Pepsi and they confirmed it is beet sugar

The glass bottles have Citric Acid in the ingredients, where as the cans do not.

Holysmoke
07-17-2014, 08:58 AM
The glass bottles have Citric Acid in the ingredients, where as the cans do not.

66% higher price for citric acid? Is that the reason they raise the price?

fusion
07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
The glass bottles are more a novelty/specialty item. People are willing to pay more per ounce for them. Especially the 6 packs of 8 ounce Coca-Cola. It's the exact same soda as in the bottles and cans. I'd buy Coke de Mexico instead if it was me.

Holysmoke
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
The glass bottles are more a novelty/specialty item. People are willing to pay more per ounce for them. Especially the 6 packs of 8 ounce Coca-Cola. It's the exact same soda as in the bottles and cans. I'd buy Coke de Mexico instead if it was me.

I have hesitated buying mexican coke due to the rumors about water.

also the fact that it might not even contain sucrose has me concerned. are the mexicans pulling one over on us?

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/28/study-hey-hipsters-mexican-coke-might-be-a-myth/

goranlab.com/pdf/Ventura%20Obesity%202010-sugary%20beverages.pdf

For instance, the Mexican
Coca-Cola lists “sugar” on the ingredient list, but the laboratory
did not detect any sucrose, but rather near equal amounts of
fructose and glucose, results which suggest the use of HFCS

fusion
07-17-2014, 03:07 PM
I hope that isn't true. But I cannot say for sure either way.

The way things started out, different food distributors were importing Coke and other products (and they still do) in returnable glass bottles from Mexico and other Central American (and some South American) countries. Coca-Cola, seeing the booming popularity of it, decided instead of suing the companies (like Pepsi did), they would have their bottling partners in Mexico produce non-returnable bottled Coke, Sprite, and Fanta Orange specifically for export to the United States, and distribute it through their bottling network in this country. It has since expanded to include Grape, Strawberry and Pineapple, plus different multipacks (mixed packs and straight 24 packs, 12 packs and 6 packs). We may also see Grapefruit at some point.

I do know there was some talk of bottlers in Mexico going to hfcs due to the rising cost of sugar, but I don't know if that has happened. I did read that they were still committed to using sugar in the stuff that is exported to the US.

I suppose the trouble is that other countries don't have food regulations that are as strict as ours are (and we still have a lot of problems here), and some things just aren't checked or enforced. There has been nasty stuff put in baby formula, candy and pet treats from China.

Holysmoke
07-17-2014, 07:24 PM
think of the profit margins for them. unfiltered tap water and hfcs at designer prices. no oversight. wouldn't be surprised if a mexican cartel is in charge of it all.

ATownAndrew
07-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Take everything you read with a grain of salt.