PDA

View Full Version : Road trip (help)

jerr2429
07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
I am leaving the allentown pa area going to salem Virginia then onto Winston salem nc and was wondering what I may be able to get? Looking for cherry sundrop, cheerwine and peach nehi

drpep
07-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Cheerwine is in Salem/Roanoke. You will probably be out of luck with Cherry Sundrop unless you continue east to I-95 and the Roanoke Rapids/ Rocky Mount area. Peach Nehi is a possibility between Salem and Winston Salem but I think you are going to have to really look.

What route are you taking between Salem and Winston Salem and how much time do you have to spend looking between your destinations? You can find a lot of stuff depending on your route.

jerr2429
07-29-2013, 08:43 AM
I-77 to statesville. Gonna go to wilksboro first then I-74 to Winston salem up to danvilke VA then back to salem

drpep
07-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Once you cross into North Carolina Cheerwine will be everywhere; cans, plastic and glass. You should find most stuff put out by West Jefferson except Dr Pepper and Mtn Dew, although I recall finding both in Mount Airy. I believe Nehi Peach can be found. Wilkesboro should be a good spot. You have to look for this stuff, don't just check one grocery store and one c-store. I do know you won't find much at Food Lion.
If you can make a side trip to Salisbury you might have good luck finding Cherry SunDrop. I know the farther down I-85 you get from Salisbury the better your chances until you hit Kannapolis which is a definite yes for Cherry SunDrop. You might get lucky in Statesville though.

I've read on here that stuff has been found in Danville but those posts are several years old and are no longer on here.

I don't know anything about Winston-Salem.

fusion
07-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Best chance for Cherry Lemon Sundrop is I-77S from Statesville to NC 73 East to Concord. Statesville to Concord is about an hour drive. Concord to Winston-Salem via I-85N and US 52N is another hour. The second leg will take you through Salisbury, the home of Cheerwine. Their phone number is (704) 637-5881. I don't think they sell direct from the warehouse anymore, though.

Peach Nehi will probably be longneck glass bottles only. I don't think it should be too hard once you get south of Roanoke and into NC.

Half the fun sometimes is just making the trip and seeing things you don't expect.

I used to take really detailed notes on my trips, but they were all on another message board, so they are long gone.

drpep
07-29-2013, 11:52 PM
You had some trip notes on here also but the older posts are gone.

I think I found Nehi Peach in plastic in Huntersville off I-77 but that was at least 4 years ago and also way off jerr2429's route.

jerr2429
07-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Thank you so much for the help. Still trying to plan the route by chance will I find 12 packs or 2 liter if nugrape or big red

drpep
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Two places may have Big Red and NuGrape, one on your way and one slightly out of the way.
First is a Food Country USA grocery store located on Route 52 about a mile off I-81 exit 80 which is the first exit south of the I-81/I-77 split.

Number two is the Food City on Route 58 in Galax, Virginia , out of your way but about 20- 25 miles round trip from the route 58 exit off I-77.

No guarantees on finding those sodas but I have purchased NuGrape in one of those stores, just not sure if it were those two or others farther west in VA. At least check the Food Country USA, I have a feeling you may get lucky.

Cracker Barrel should have NuGrape in glass if that interests you.

Food County USA location
http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NDIuMTQ3OTk5fi03Ny4wNTY5OTkmbHZsPTQmc3R5PXImc T1mb3J0JTI1MjBjaGlzd2VsbCUyNTJDJTI1MjB2YQ==

If you zoom in and slide the map upwards a bit it will show the Food Country.

drpep
07-30-2013, 10:17 PM
I found this picture I took in 2010 inside a Food City grocery store but I think it's further west along I-81 than your route is going to take you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9433667@N02/5084129629/in/photolist-8KguBp-5b5jsv-2j3oKv-2iwhRg-4sTrVN-5uDTfK

Also from 2010 a large SunDrop display in Concord, NC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drpep1024/4844619049/in/pool-1652171@N22|drpep1024/

jerr2429
07-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Was that dads display at the galaxy va food city you talked about, also just remembered can I get dr.enuf around those areas

jerr2429
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Would I find more if I went 81 south into TN rather than go to NC. Can I still get nehi and cherry sundrop. Is Johnson city a good hit

drpep
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
You are better off in North Carolina.

I don't think that picture was from Galax, I'm sure it was further down 81.

jerr2429
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope to find some of the dads stuff. I'd live to get my hands on the bubble up

drpep
08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Bubble Up in glass was and should still be for sale at Cracker Barrel.

When in NC and VA don't bother with Food Lion, Kroger or Walmart; they are not going to have the oddball stuff, except Cheerwine and SunDrop. Check the IGA, Galaxy Food Centers and Piggly Wigglys. Also Lowes Foods and Ingles may have some stuff. Don't just check the soda aisle. Walk the store, look in the coolers by the registers and check all endcaps, you never know where bottles of Peach Nehi may be hiding. If one gas station has nothing cross the street and look in another. Circle K, 7-Eleven and Kangaroo will probably have the basics.

CitrusCola
08-02-2013, 10:35 PM
If you go to Danville, VA, you can find Double Cola products (DC, Ski, Double Dry, Chaser, Jumbo). If it's on a weekday, your best bet is to stop by the beer distributor (Lawrence) at 545 Old Mayfield Road and buy it directly. If it on a weekend, look for Old Dutch Supermarkets or convinence stores. Most of the chain grocery stores and Walmart don't carry the DC products.

If you go to Danville on Hwy. 29, you might want to take the Pelham exit just before you cross over into VA. There's a convenience store there (it's in the corner of Caswell county) that usually has TruAde varieties and Dr. Wham. I believe that the rest area at that exit has drink machines with TruAde, too.

CitrusCola
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
One other note: most Food City and Ingles grocery stores have "nostalga brand" sections where you can often find some interesting drinks. I've seen Red Rock Cola, Red Rock Ginger Ale, Nesbitt's, and Dr. Enuf in "nostalga" sections. Just make sure you look around the entire store. Sometimes they put the nostalga soft drinks away from the regular soft drink aisle.

Big Red (and Big Blue) are now distributed by Pepsi in the Triad area, so you ought to be able to find them in just about any grocery store in the area between Lexington and Winston-Salem.

CitrusCola
08-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Once this road trip is over, please let us know what you found.

drpep
09-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Any news??

jerr2429
09-05-2013, 04:29 PM
found nehi orange,grape, and peach 2 liter at walmart in wilksbro nc, found frostie at lowes foods in wilksboro as well as double cola and bubble up 12 pk. got some sundrop cherry lemon 6 packs in walmart statesville. there is a piggly wiggly open now in roanoke va.mello yello zero was all over as well as pibb,and cheerwine.

drpep
09-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Piggly Wiggly in Roanoke. Awesome! To bad I won't be there this year.

I just checked out their website, never knew there was an IGA (now the PW) in Roanoke

fusion
09-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Piggly Wiggly in Roanoke. Awesome! To bad I won't be there this year.

I just checked out their website, never knew there was an IGA (now the PW) in Roanoke

28 Piggly Wiggly stores are being sold off to Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo in the Carolinas - just read that.

drpep
10-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Is the Double Cola/Ski sold in Danville in glass or cans?

drpep
11-04-2013, 10:27 PM
At the Food City in Pulaski, Virginia ( a few miles off I-81) I found the following.
Ale 81, Dads in glass; plastic and cans, Red Rock cola in glass, Frostie in glass; plastic and cans, Dr Enuff (first time seen that far north) and a 12 pack container of vintage sodas in glass (probably the same as Old Country Buffet sells).
I did find 2 liter bottles of Big Red and Big Red Zero at the Food Country in Fort Chiswell.

Nehi Peach was also seen in both plastic and glass at various stops.