PDA

View Full Version : Surge is back... sort of.

Dewman1979
09-15-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M2OGS08/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=buzz0f-20

Wally1912
09-15-2014, 04:52 PM
What was the price per package? It shows as sold out when I check Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2OGS08

A product review refers to spending "45 dollars on soda".

No mention of price in the official story from Coke.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/surge-returns-back-by-popular-demand-brand-now-available-exclusively-on-amazoncom

Hollow Man
09-16-2014, 12:39 AM
It's $14 for twelve 16 oz. cans. The guy who spent $45 I believe bought three 12-packs to get free shipping, plus tax.

It sold out three times today, but I managed to get two separate orders in. One shows up Tuesday night (Amazon Prime more on the ball than usual).

-HM

Dewman1979
09-16-2014, 05:37 AM
I'm getting some just because. Pepsi should take note.(pepsi blue, MD supernova)

fusion
09-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I am surprised I didn't hear about this anywhere else. I didn't know about it until a coworker texted about it to me earlier today.

Hopefully they will make some more available.

Smart move by Coke and Amazon.

fusion
09-18-2014, 08:38 PM
I read the interviews with the three who were in charge of the Surge Movement. Though I applaud their hard work and determination, I think some credit should have been given to savesurge.org, the original Surge movement.

They are doing another production run which should be available soon. I'd be interested to know if they expected it to sell out so quickly or not. And if the concentrate and can bodies are already made and ready to go.

Dewman1979
09-19-2014, 04:00 AM
I really hope I'm not shut out. I know that the eBay douche bags are buying them up.

ATownAndrew
09-21-2014, 12:25 AM
As soon as Amazon has Surge back in stock, I'm buying a case. It was like Christmas morning on Monday for me when I found out Surge was coming back after 12 years. Thanks to the Surge Movement constantly posting on Coca-Cola's Facebook pages and originally to SaveSurge.org, Coca-Cola finally caved in and brought back Surge selling exclusively through Amazon to give the fans the chance to put their money where their mouth is. Well, the fans have spoken and Surge has sold out within minutes every time it was restocked on Amazon. The demand has exceeded Coke and Amazon's expectations and is #1 selling Grocery item on Amazon, so things are looking good for my favorite 90's soda.

Troy The Vault Drinker
09-23-2014, 11:57 PM
On Monday, I woke up super early to make sure I didn't miss the restock. I refreshed over and over the entire morning. I refreshed, it wasn't there and a refresh only 2-3 minutes later, it was there. My heart began racing. By 11:15am, it was back in stock, and I was one of the first people to order that day. There was a glitch at first, you add it to cart or 1 click buy it and it would say unavailable or not appear in the cart. After a few minutes it was fixed and my purchase went through. Purchased 2 cases. Spent $53.77 on soda and I ain't even mad. It's surge. Supposed to get here Thursday, can't wait. It was sold out again around 2:30pm, it didn't last very long at all. Anyone who has missed it so far, I suggest doing what I did. Be ready. If you want surge bad enough you'll do what it takes to ensure you get some. I refused to miss it Monday and it paid off. It still doesn't even feel real. It's like a dream come true. It won't really hit me until it's at my door and I take a sip. Until now it's just pictures online, rumors, and a dream.

ATownAndrew
09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
When I woke up Monday morning I was able to buy a case for $14 through Amazon Prime. I was in that two hour window when Surge was available. Apparently a weeks worth of supply sold out in two hours. That speaks volumes about the demand for Surge. My case of Surge should be arriving at my door today while I'm at work so I'll be able to have one tonight. Suuuuuurrrrrrgggge!

Troy The Vault Drinker
09-27-2014, 01:24 AM
My dad is good friends with a manager at coke in Baton Rouge and he supposedly told him that in December or January, coke will be doing a 3 month promotion for surge released in stores but they don't know whether or not it will be grocery or c stores. I don't know how true this actually is but I know there are some people that know other exclusive stuff here sometimes that can confirm that. I don't doubt it for a second though. The online routine is sort of annoying but I'm just happy it's back but it's obvious demand is much higher than coke anticipated. They need to increase production but they may have been worried about producing too much and it not selling at first.

Edit : by the way, I got my cases and it's absolutely delicious. I didn't realize how much Surge tasted like Vault until after I drank a few cans. Surge is clearly the better beverage though IMO. Surge doesn't have that hard bite like Vault had. I used to see people saying Vault was smooth and Mtn Dew was harsh but it's the other way around for me. Amazing drink, the best citrus soda easily. Can't wait to be able to buy this in stores again..you know it's going happen.. Coke wouldn't have bothered bringing this back in the first place if they didn't have bigger plans for the brand.

fusion
09-29-2014, 09:45 PM
While I think the initial thought was to give Amazon the exclusive, I think Coke may have been surprised by the overwhelming demand for Surge, and how quickly it sold out. Though I am reluctant to believe that it could translate to a successful return to grocery store and convenience store shelves and coolers. I just don't remember Surge even selling that well. There was so much negative talk around it about how full of sugar and caffeine it was, and how bad it was for kids. I think a lot of people were just waxing nostalgic about it and how great it was. It was the Dew-killer that never quite made it. I even remember this big rally we had where we shot paintballs at 2 liter bottles of Dew that were hung on ropes. And at the end, they drove a Surge van through a wall of Dew. Hell, I still have my Surge t-shirts from back then. I was going to give them away to one of the Surge fans, but never got around to it. I did wear them quite a bit, so they are pretty worn out at this point.

I personally think they should just keep it on Amazon and run the sales from there. It will give Amazon an exclusive brand to sell, and Coke can control the inventory better than having it spread throughout the country in Coke warehouses. Plus, cans last a lot longer than 20oz or 2 liter bottles.

Surge and Vault were basically the same formula. I think there was some difference in the coloring, and Vault was less carbonated.

I think Coke should just stick with Mello Yello. It has a long proven track record. Sure, I'd like to see the line extensions return, but I don't see that happening.

I haven't heard a thing about Surge coming back to the bottling system. I didn't even know in advance that it was coming back at all. I have my doubts that it will see any sort of full scale relaunch.

ATownAndrew
09-30-2014, 02:16 AM
^ Sorry but I have to disagree. I think Surge could be successful in distribution. Maybe not top ten brand successful, but if there's room for Mello Yello, the Fresca flavors, and Tab on store shelves then there's room for Surge. Maybe they could package Surge differently from Coke's othe CSDs like what they are doing on Amazon. Sell it in 16 oz cans alongside Full Throttle, Monster, and NOS, and in 4 can packs, and possibly 12 packs like on Amazon. Maybe not bother to package it in plastic bottles at all (or at least not 2 liter). Works for me, as long as there is an easy way for me to get it, I will buy it. I'd love to see it return to fountain though, so I can have it with meals on the go - I especially would love to see it in Freestyle machines with different flavor combinations.

I do hope Coke uses Amazon to try out other drinks as well and to bring regional flavors to other parts of the country. Sell a 12 pack of 16 oz cans of Fanta Peach for $14 and I will gladly order it and have it shipped to here in CA. Or sell existing package sizes of Fanta Peach, Fanta Apple, Barq's Red Creme, etc. on Amazon with free shipping with Prime or on $35+ orders. I would gladly order those. But I'm not going to order Fanta Orange or Coke Classic on Amazon when I know I can get it cheaper in stores. Selling Surge on Amazon has opened a new door to the way drinks are test marketed and sold and I hope Coke takes advantage of that. I also hope Pepsi takes advantage of that and re-releases Josta.

Troy The Vault Drinker
10-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Coke has contracts with retailers to sell Mello Yello, this is apparently a problem in getting Surge to stores.