PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello's 2010 unsuccessful relaunch / rebranding has led to Surge

Troy The Vault Drinker
11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
When Vault was introduced, I became an avid Vault fan and drank it almost everyday for years. I wanted Vault to succeed but at the same time knew that as long as Vault was available, Surge wouldn't be coming back. Eventually, Vault was discontinued and instead of being upset, I was hopeful about Surge returning. Then Coke tries to relaunch Mello Yello nationwide in 2010, and it was another setback for Surge. Fast forward to 2014 after Mello Yello's unsuccessful rebranding, coke is back to the drawing board. Do they spend millions trying to build brand recognition and introduce yet another citrus soda that will ultimately be discontinued after 5 years? Or do they look at the fact that over 150,000 people actually WANT surge back instead of bothering with introducing a new citrus brand that nobody wanted or asked for? I believe Surge has been on Coke's mind for some time while figuring out what to do about their place in the citrus market share. I think Coke knows they have a better chance at success by bringing back Surge vs sticking with Mello Yello (a brand that will NEVER be a great national seller and will only sell well in the regions that actually want it) and vs creating a new brand that will ultimately waste time & money and be discontinued in a few years anyway. Mello Yello has such a disgusting synthetic taste to it and tastes overly sugared IMO, and only tastes tolerable from a 20 oz.

fusion
11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Mello Yello isn't blowing the doors off of anything, but it does have a good following. Especially in strong citrus markets, like NC. There is probably no way that Coke is going to chip anything away from Mtn Dew. No matter what they throw at it. Especially with Dew trying itself to gamers and coming out with countless numbers of line extensions.

Mello Yello is a stable brand with a fairly long history.

imawalkingcorpse
08-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Mello Yello is going to be back in Nascar, at least for one race. Darlington in a couple of weeks. Kyle Larson drive the #42 and it will sport the Mello Yello paint scheme.

Troy The Vault Drinker
08-24-2015, 05:55 PM
That is very interesting. I may have to check out a nascar race for the first time in well over 5 years.

imawalkingcorpse
08-24-2015, 10:55 PM
That is very interesting. I may have to check out a nascar race for the first time in well over 5 years.

The paint scheme looks great.

lordmadone
09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
I just saw a temporary rebrand of the mellow yellow 20oz http://i.imgur.com/CbEnpDE.jpg

Looks promotional if anything. Doubt it will last. I really like the design though. Definitely pops out at you.

Troy The Vault Drinker
09-05-2015, 06:03 AM
I just saw a temporary rebrand of the mellow yellow 20oz http://i.imgur.com/CbEnpDE.jpg

Looks promotional if anything. Doubt it will last. I really like the design though. Definitely pops out at you.

Wow. That does look cool. They did the same thing with Vault.

Dewman1979
09-29-2015, 07:31 AM
I love Mello Yello. Always have. But Vault sucks.

fusion
10-17-2015, 06:53 PM
The RealTree branding is only temporary. It's on 12 packs and 20oz. Pepsi had camo packaging too, but they jumped out of it pretty quickly and went to Call of Duty packaging.

Troy The Vault Drinker
11-01-2015, 10:33 PM
I love Mello Yello. Always have. But Vault sucks.

Yeah. Vault does suck and so does Mountain Dew compared to the clearly superior Surge.

fusion
11-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Surge now has much wider distribution now in the south, great lakes and midwest, which are citrus strongholds. Though I don't know how it is doing. The only package they are selling is the 16oz can for 99 cents or a dollar.

Mountain Dew is so strong because Pepsi created a culture around it - gamers, athletes, etc. Kind of like Monster. It is a core product for them, so it is in every cooler, on every display and so on. Mello Yello has never gotten that sort of attention. Though it is strong in parts of the south - especially in NC where every citrus seems to do well, including Sundrop.

Plus, Dew is constantly innovating and coming out with new packages and flavors. Solar Flare on tap in 7-11, berry lime Game Fuel in 20oz/12pk, Dewshine in 12oz glass, and so on. I just wonder why they haven't done any Dewmocracys lately.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-06-2015, 02:49 PM
http://www.foodbeast.com/news/burger-king-surge/
Frozen SURGE and maybe even Vault coming to Burger King? Sign me up!

Troy The Vault Drinker
11-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Surge now has much wider distribution now in the south, great lakes and midwest, which are citrus strongholds. Though I don't know how it is doing. The only package they are selling is the 16oz can for 99 cents or a dollar.

Mountain Dew is so strong because Pepsi created a culture around it - gamers, athletes, etc. Kind of like Monster. It is a core product for them, so it is in every cooler, on every display and so on. Mello Yello has never gotten that sort of attention. Though it is strong in parts of the south - especially in NC where every citrus seems to do well, including Sundrop.

Plus, Dew is constantly innovating and coming out with new packages and flavors. Solar Flare on tap in 7-11, berry lime Game Fuel in 20oz/12pk, Dewshine in 12oz glass, and so on. I just wonder why they haven't done any Dewmocracys lately.

That Berry Lime Game Fuel is great.

Wally1912
01-03-2016, 10:34 AM
New Mello Yello logo for 2016.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelloYello/status/679049517245833216

lordmadone
01-06-2016, 09:01 PM
New Mello Yello logo for 2016.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelloYello/status/679049517245833216

Meant to make a post here about it..I was a bit surprised by the new make over but it looks good. A lot more modern and eye catching like it needs to be.