Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i stumbled across an article about "OK" cola... a product of the coca-cola company from 1994.

i vaguely remember it, but didn't know it was made by coke at the time.

here's the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ok_Soda

had anyone tasted it?
    banned

it supposedly tasted like if you ran your cup down the fountain machine. some coke, some sprite, some orange, some root beer, some fruit punch. it can basically be described as a fruity cola.

my boss used to work for coke and has a can of it with a tshirt inside, unopened. he also has an ok cola jacket.

it's sounds like an interesting project. too bad they didn't invest more time into it. it might've been a hit.

coke and pepsi don't often give products enough time to develop a following. they want instant gratification every time.
    banned

Sounds like the European Mezzomix.

If there's too little patience in developing a market following, then NO ONE will be happy. I don't know why they dream 20+% of the market will switch to their new products in less than a month.
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...

according to the wikipedia article, OK grabbed 3% market share (in its test markets)... in under a year. that sounds pretty successful to me. i mean, coke zero is being hailed as a huge success... and it's only grabbed 1-2%.

go figure.

[ 05-21-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]
    banned

The line you're referring to is:

"Most soda drinkers found the taste blandly unappealing, and OK Soda never captured more than 3% of the beverage market in any of the target locations, failing to match Zyman's hype."

It never got more than 3% in any of the test markets, that doesn't mean it grapped 3% in all of them, it means the best it possibly did was 3%. I'm sure Coke Zero has reached more than 3% in several markets already.

Beyond that, there were fewer choices in 1994 than there is today. Mountain Dew only had one flavor, there were no lemon, lime, or vanilla brand extensions. There was only one Dr. Pepper. Competition is much greater now, making a 1% or 2% share tougher to grab.

good points, king. you'd make a great lawyer (or detective) with that kind of attention to detail.

you're probably right about coke zero, as well.

i also think coke considers zero a success b/c it's attracting the demographic they were aiming for... without cannibalizing too much of diet coke's market... which is tricky.
    banned

wow....talk about an old memory..
    banned

Yes, I remember it quite well. Still have several 6 packs somewhere. Someone brought several cases of it one night to our local Coca-Cola club when it first came out. Many of our club members are 60 and over. Well, they began reading the cans and then got very concerned. They said they didn't want this drink brought in anymore because 'it didn't make any sense'! LOL.. I laughed about that for a long time.