Bevboard

Just out of curiosity, so there isn't such a shortage of Splenda anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the shortage of splenda is not a patent problem. I recall that the raw materials used in producing splenda are scarce and expensive thus creating a supply that can't meet the demand.

Splenda is actually manafactured about 15 minutes from my house, in a small town named Macintosh, AL. Back a few months ago, they announced a 40 million dollar expansion. They are working around the clock.. so hopefully within a year or two they'll be caught up.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the shortage of splenda is not a patent problem. I recall that the raw materials used in producing splenda are scarce and expensive thus creating a supply that can't meet the demand.
    SUGAR?
    woot woot

Haha,

Sugar is not the only ingredient in Splenda.

But I'm pretty sure you knew that, LittleGuy.

And also, I bet Splenda uses even more substances to act as catalyst in order to trigger the reaction that makes the Splenda molecule.

You could probably find a science-heavy website that describes the process.

Yeah, they got in a lot of trouble for claiming Splenda was made from sugar.
    Give Me My PiBB!<br />--<br /> - Clarke

I was gonna add something to what pete said. Splenda is made right up the road from me too...The plant is run by a company called mcneil pharmaceuticals. I have been in the plant before and had a tour of the labs...They are currently capacity limited because of the complex process required to make splenda. DC w/ splenda would have been on the market over a year ago if it had not been for these capicity issues. I had the pleasure of trying many different sodas in my time there. From what I can tell DC w/Splenda tastes the same as it did over a year ago when I first tried some. Also the plant in Macintosh is the only place in the world where Splenda is made.

Splenda is cholorinated sugar. It's not good for you, but people don't seem to care.