Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i know that energy drinks are all the rage right now, but... when do you think they'll reach the "saturation point" (or peak) and start to decline?

are they just a fad? or will the be around for decades?

or will there only be a handful still standing by the end of the decade?

i just wanted your input.
    banned

Think of it this way, CSD used to be the king of beverage categories...until alternative beverages came. Them more alternative beverages came...and the public started to switch. IMO, the only reason the energy category grew so fast is because the concept of an "energy drink" had never been done before. There were no alternatives...therefore its experienced unbelievable growth. We're at the point where the category has been in full swing for a few years...alternatives to energy WILL come and steal its glory. At that time, (which I believe will be prior to 2010) the energy category will remain with only the biggest players. The rest will retire to liquor and dollar stores...

[ 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

I think it is here to stay. Coca Cola was the first Real Energy Drink. If you look at its historical advertising it is plain to see that Coca-Cola was supposed to "pick you up". Of course like all things it will change as much as it will stay the same. Peoples taste, attitudes, needs/wants, change constantly and energy drinks are the point that they will change with them. Look at all the derivatives out there: Energy drinks with Juice, with cola,with alcohol, etc. Size differences also. Those things show that Energy drink makers are responding to different needs and wants of it's demographics.
    Innovation along with an eye towards consumer demand will always keep energy drink sales climbing.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

There will always be a market of college students, geeks, gamers, etc. that need it. The popularity will die down but it'll stay.

I think the energy category will stick around for a while, but I also think it will soon lose the luster its enjoyed so far.

[ 06-07-2006, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: mr jones ]
    I respect your right to hear my opinion.

but can you really count coke as the original energy drink? I credit that more to the cocaine than the drink...
    I think Energy drinks will be here for the long haul, but will probably start to morph a little bit. I don't look at energy drinks as simply a caffiene pick me up, we have chocolate, soda, cofee, and tea for something as simple as caffiene. But the whole package of caffiene and revitalizing vitamins and herbs, that is what an energy drink truly is. I think you will start to see them turning more and more soda like, or a gatoraide hybrid that actually taste good (Hansens Energade does not count). I don't see the smaller package being as popular for ever, but it will probably take a good 5-10 years for a full transition.

i see similarities with the flavored malt beverage category on the alcoholic side of things. everyone thought after they all came out, and then jed's, ned's, doc otis, hooper's hooch, sublime, and the list goes on. but they are still around and kicking wine cooler's (the csd in this analogy)'s butt.

mike's and smirnoff ice/twisted, twisted tea... are not giving up the ghost, only gaining. i think energy will continue to do so for several more years. it's not just a fad like slap bracelets and orbitz, it's something that applies itself to consumers needs and wants.

that is, as we are constantly working harder, longer hours and playing harder at the same time, we humans need a boost. we also need to derive more from what we consume beyond simply good taste and "refreshment," whatever that is. with the advancement of humans and our lifestyles, so should our food products advance.

it seems, for the most part, that most of us agree... that while energy drinks can't sustain this kind of growth forever, some of them will survive down the road.

i guess it also remains to be seen if/when soda sales will bottom out and then start to rebound... or at least level out.
    banned

I think that as consumer tastes continue to adapt to the energy drink as a standard - there are c-stores with multiple doors of energy now - they will become more and more ubiquitous. I think they represent a true threat to the traditional place of soda in our society. As younger and younger consumers mold their palates to energy drinks and other alternative beverages, traditional sodas run the risk of becoming a thing of the past. Perhaps in another 40 years, Coke and Pepsi will become obsolete... I hope not, but consumers are fickle.

IMO....Every minute or so a potential soda pop drinker is born in the United States. Us Americana's love sweet,sugary tasting drinks and foods. Soda pop remains a main staple of the American beverage pallets.

Soda pop will be around for many more years than the 40 you have stated. I for one will drink it till I push up daisy's. I'll bet most American soda pop drinkers are much the same as I am.

America's thirst for soda pop is unquenchable. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba