Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    blair Guest

I'm working on a story for Soda Pop Dreams about The Pop Shoppe chain of soda from the 70s and 80s. They used to bottle sodas in glass bottles and people could return their empties to the chain for re-fill.

My question is, does anyone out there remember The Pop Shoppe? If so, I'd sure be interested in any comments and memories you have about the old chain. Thanks!

Blair.

BooBooKitty Guest

I remember them. They didn't last long in my area. They came in what I remember as hundreds of different flavours

keith from california Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blair:
    I'm working on a story for Soda Pop Dreams about The Pop Shoppe chain of soda from the 70s and 80s. They used to bottle sodas in glass bottles and people could return their empties to the chain for re-fill.

My question is, does anyone out there remember The Pop Shoppe? If so, I'd sure be interested in any comments and memories you have about the old chain. Thanks!

Blair.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I remember them in many different flavors and in small, fat bottles. This was in Ventura California in the mid 70's. They had some great flavors.

They were also in Central Florida/Orlando--Altamonte Springs in the 80's. All kinds of flavors. It was about the only place I can remember finding a straight lemon soda. The bottles in my area were kind of squatty. I believe the plug was pulled around 1984. Another similar operation was called Soda Pop City. They had the audacity to open facilities in Atlanta and probably other spots! Similar deal there as well. When they folded I began to see their bottles being used by the local RC bottling operation for NEHI flavors.

dr pepperman Guest

I had a grape soda for lunch today in a Pop Shoppe bottle.
    A place in Elmira NY called M&M Red Hots is where I found it. While waitng for my lunch I noticed several red plastic crates with Pop Shoppe on them. I ordered a bottle and it came in a 10 ounce glass bottle with a cap that needed to be removed with an opener.The bottle was a Pop Shoppe bottle. On the back of the bottle it said it was bottled by an outfit in Richmond Va.
    One of the crates had a large sticker for Monroe Bottling(?) Hertal Ave Buffalo,NY. I have a current Buffalo phonebook at work and when I return from vacation I will look to see if that company is listed and post a phone number if it is.
    Other flavors availible were Grape, Orange, Root Beer, Birch Beer, Cherry and several other which I forget.

blair Guest

Dr Pepperman - I'd love to hear what you find out about that Pop Shoppe location.

In doing research for that article, I came across one remaining Pop Shoppe retail location in British Columbia (Canada) and was able to interview the owner. That story about The Pop Shoppe Chain & photos is up online at: http://www.pww.on.ca/dreams.htm.

Let me know what you find out when you return from vacation.

robbie Guest

YES I REMEMBER THE POP SHOP IN TORONTO
    THERE WERE QUITE A FEW AND THE OLD HOCKEY PLAYER FOR THE LEAFS EDDIE SHACK WAS A SPOKESMAN FOR THEIR COMMERICIALS AND TAGGED THE LINE
    I GOT A NOSE FOR VALUE BECAUSE HE HAD A VERY LARGE NOSE WHICH HE WAS KNOWN FOR

dr pepperman Guest

No number for Monroe Bottling found in Buffalo phonebook. Next time I go for a Texas hot I will ask where the Pop Shoppe bottles come from.

dr pepperman Guest

Blair,
    I have not forgotten this,just have not been in the mood for hot dogs lately.

dr pepperman Guest

Went to M&M Red Hots for a Texas hot and a grape soda. I asked the busy waitress where the Pop Shoppe product was coming from. She said Monroe ( the name I saw on the crate during my previous visit) but also said from a beverage store across town is where it came from. I checked out the only beverage store on that street and saw nothing about Pop Shoppe ,only the big boys. The kid behind the counter looked like he did not know his ass from a hole in the ground so I left without following up. There was a small food service business next door but I did not check them.
    This beverage store has 1 or 2 others in town so I will try to find out more soon.