Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today i noticed that Tab is on the shelves in Fridge Packs. This is really in slap in the face of people who have seen Coke missmanage a brand and then quickly erase it from history. Tab is horrid, its old, and almost nobody likes it. I have seen one sale of Tab in my life. Yet Coke continues to sell it. I just don't get it!!
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

I saw Tab fridge packs when I was in southern Virginia (CCBCC) last month. Central Coke also still sells 12 pack Tab.

Most bottlers just have it in 6 pack cans, but for some strange reason, in Maryland we sell it in 6 pack 20oz. I sell about a case a week in my Food Lion, at $5.19 a 6 pack.

Mmmmmmm, Tab.... There's nothing better than an ice-cold cola filled with carcinogens.....

There are two reason KO still sells Tab. One is that there is an, albeit small, group of people who were raised on pre-aspertame sweeteners. These are people about 35-55 now, whose parents put them on fake sugar early in life (IMHO, a bad thing to do) and to whom the metalic taste of saccarin is normal. This is the "Tab cult" and it moves the product.

Two is the same reason that one gas station in each state is still branded "Standard". The brand name is worth something, and you have to make a nominal effort at least at using it to keep it going.

Man, that makes me sick. A fridge pack of battery acid, errr, ummm, Tab! My sister used to drink that stuff in the 80's. I haven't seen it around here since then, thankfully.

Your right it has to do with age, If people that were 30-55 liked new Coke it would still be sold as widely as Tab.

But the younger crowd (under 30) liked it, there parents did not like it and made sure it was never brought home reguardless of it being on sale alot more than Coca-Cola classic at that time.

I think Tab sucks but i'm not in the 30-55 year old category so I guess people around my age really have no say.

Most people will say it's only soda who cares!It's amazing what psycology and emotional following can do no matter if it has a better taste or not.

[ 12-26-2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: XLS_02 ]

the only people i know that enjoy tab are tabaholics who are between the ages of 40-55 and have other "issues" to deal with as well. definitely the odd-man-out or "nutty professor" type deal.
    woot woot

I'm allergic to sacarin so I don't drink the stuff, but I did try it once(not knowing it had sacarin) it was pretty nasty... then again that may just have been my allergic reaction.
    Musical Artist? Promote your music at <a href=\"http://Evolutionradio.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://Evolutionradio.org</a>!

Now I realize that I am totally gussing here but I am willing to bet that SURGE outsold Tab in the areas where they were both sold. I have no data to back this up but its just a guess. Not to say that eather one was a success but it seems to me that SURGE died becouse it would compete with Mello Yello where as Tab has no competition. Just seems sorta dumb to me. If Coke can justify Tab then why not SURGE, or OK soda, or New Coke? I bet some fat cat execs at Coke or CCE just keep it around cuz they like it. I do realize that whole brand name thing and stuff but whta is the point unless they plan on moving the brand in some dirrection? One thing to not is that Tab Xtra exists in some european countries. I'm not sure if it is actually Pibb Xtra of if it is the same as US Tab or if it is totally diffrent. Weird.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

Remember a few years back some Coke CCE canners tried TAB clear. I am not sure of the name exactly, but is was a TAB extension.