Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Today, the newswire has indicated that in response to Pepsi Edge, Coke's doing the mid-cal C2. What does everyone think here? Success or flop?

Personally, I'm leaning toward flop. You have a generation of those who are looking for alternatives in sweeteners, people on low-carb diets, etc. They want as much taste as possible, but without the calories and carbs. I think the solution to this personally would be a Diet Coke w/Splenda instead of aspartame. Of course, that wouldn't be cost effective.

The people on low carb diets will still see C2 and Edge as "evil" for containing wasteful calories and carbs. The soda lovers will take that first sip and sense the artificial sweetener in there, and spit it out.

You might be suprised. The recent reformulation of Minute Maid Light Lemonade added Splenda to the old mix of Ace-K and Aspartame. You can barely tell it is diet. I would think that going one step further and adding hfcs would eliminate the diet-y taste.

Heck, you can't tell that Swerve is mid-calorie.

Total flop.

The MBAs of the world, unable to actually inovate or direct anything, are all out trying to glom on to the Adkins diet scam craze. The bread companies replace flour with sawdust, the fast fooders make so-called "burgers" with no bun, Subway (which grew during the last diet craze for low cal) makes salads, and BUD is making a killing with its somewhat beer-flavored mixture of grain alcohol and water called "Michelob Ultra", and so on across the entrie food industry.

The cola companies try to join. No one stopped to think that diet cola is, and always has been, a zero carb product.

In two years, the shelves at Big Lots will be full of the non-perishable residue of this craze. The people who think that you can lose weight some way other than eating less and working more will be on to the next thing. Some new persuasive and good looking snake oil salesmam will have found his way to Oprah, Jane, Phil and so on. Especially since Adkins is already dead (and plenty of web sites will explain just what shape he was in when he died).

In 5 years, this site will have a post about some guy who saw a C2 (or an Edge) at a store in some obscure non CCE (or PCBG) territory in Nebraska.

Half-diet cola and half-regular is a joke. Too much sugar (and thus carbs under the current craze) for dieters, too little for non-dieters.

If it was about aspertame, RC would be kicking their a**es already.

The name could have used some work

Pepsi Edge (sounds outdated)

Coke C2 (sounds like a name of a robot or something) it will make some people think its Coke II new packaging.

Anyways Pepsi Edge will use Splenda, Does anyone know what Coke C2 will use as a sweetner?

Originally posted by XLS_04:
    Anyways Pepsi Edge will use Splenda, Does anyone know what Coke C2 will use as a sweetner?
    "All of the above"...HFCS, Splenda, aspartame, and ace-K.

Originally posted by XLS_04:
    it will make some people think its Coke II new packaging.
    Most people I have talked to have no recollection of Coke II.
    Give Me My PiBB!<br />--<br /> - Clarke

anyone that grew up as a teen in the 90s will remember it by name.

I remember Coke II, thats for sure. It's great, it sure shouldn't have been used in an attempt to replace the original coke recipe, but it is really good

C2 and Edge really have nothing to do with Atkins or any of those low carb diets. It's more about the general backlash against high-calorie, sugary foods and drinks.

If you want no-carb, drink a diet soda.. or better yet, water.

Speaking of Edge. I really loved RC Edge!
    <a href=\"http://www.cheerwine.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cheerwine.com</a>