Bevboard

While Pepsico has owned Lays for decades, you wouldn't know it. They don't even list that on the label (Frito-Lay labels in the US will tell you that it is owned by "Recot, Inc.", which is a dummy company for Pepsico. )

Now, they are running Super Bowl ads with "Pepsi and Lays" as sponsors. First time I can ever remember this.

New policy?

Out in the stores, they have really cross-promoted the two brands in the past 5-6 years. The point of sale materials have included both logos for quite some time. Though in most places, they aren't getting a display with both brands on them, with some exceptions.. like SuperBowl displays, displays when the first Star Wars came out, and so on.

There have also been a lot of coupons on Pepsi cubes and bags of chips.. for a certain amount off your next purchase when you buy 2 bags of chips and a cube, or something like that.

the pepsi/lays commercials also feature the amazing 24oz bottle.

i think the one where the kid cheers for the ravens (mom's team) instead of the raiders (dad's) is pretty funny. still, i rather have a commercial sell me something than just have product placement and a little blurb at the end.
    woot woot

You want synergy between the two? Both of their products are exceptionally mediocre.

Just wondering what kind of marketshare does pepsi have in everyones area? I know coke is a much larger company, but in the Detroit Market Unit Pepsi outsells Coke probably 2:1 except for on the East side, That is because Pepsi is not that great of a mixer with Alcohol. But where the rednecks and middle class people live they put that stuff in baby bottles. From my experience they would rather buy some pepsi than food at some of my stores.

Beverage digest has intermittently posted a list of the major markets and the share of each company. Midwest tends to be Blue, coasts tend to be Red.

Here's a link to the 1997 data.. Yes, it's almost 6 years old, but it's the most recent I could find.

From Beverage Digest 7/18/97

I think there is a slightly less than 10% marketshare diffrence. Something like 30% vs. 40%. Hehee funny thing about that Pepsi thing is that it seems to me that Pepsi does appeal to the ghetto-folk more than the upper class. Just an observation.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

When the Raiders were in L.A. I used to deliver Mexican Coca-Cola in glass to their training camp in El Segundo. As for Lay's... you're right about mediocre just like Pepsi. Want a really good potato chip? Then you need DIRTY CHIPS from Louisiana... those are so, so, so good. And Abita Root Beer is good as well. And Afri-Cola is better than Coke or Pepsi! So go figure...
    Keep in mind that the King Of Pop\'s crown is not made from a bunch of melted aluminum cans!