Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last summer, before a 7000 mile road trip, I posted a question here about where to find the widest variety of "neat sodas" under one roof. I received a lot of help from the Soda Sommelier but, as it turns out, the places he recommended were out of business when I arrived.

Well, I'm trying again. =) There is nothing better than bringing home a boatload of undiscovered goodies for the people at home to sample. My little sister-in-law just returned from Japan and we had two days of fun drinking bizarre concoctions. Coca-Cola Scorpion was the best! =)

This summer, we are driving through northern Minnesota, most of Wisconsin, northern Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, Pennsylvania, tiny bits of West Virginia, Virginia and Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

If any of you know of anywhere in any of these states that is well worth a side trip, please share your knowledge. In small-city Canada, we don't get much of a variety of, well, anything, and I would be most grateful if your help would allow me to bring back 24 wierd kinds of sweet beverage. =)

I seem to recall that a Shawn had a large store somewhere in Ohio... that would be a perfect start. But if you know a Wal Mart or convenience store that, for some reason, stocks oodles of Black Lemonade, Lolli's Cherry Pop, etc., you're my hero. =)

Thanks for anything. =)

Eric

In Faifield, Ohio which is between Dayton and Cinncinati is a store called Jungle Jim's. Quite possibly one of the coolest stores around. Tons of pop as well as one of the best international groceries you will ever find. Tons of kitsch as well. Close to 1000 different hot sauces and a wine cellar to kill for. I can go there and wonder for hours, and fill my truck with pop and empty my wallet. A slick place, check out their web site.
    If it\'s in glass, it probably kicks a@*

Went to Jungle Jim's last weekend. I was really disappointed with the soda selection. They must have been out of or discontinued 30 items. I have never seen the pickins so slim.

Not a superstore, but it's usually worth the while to stop at a Cost Plus World Market, for Afri-cola among other things.

I agree with the Jungle Jim's recommendation. Hopefully they'll be fully in stock by then.

Be sure and check all the rooms for each country -- they each have a small selection of beverages in them.

In my travels throughout western Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey, I really haven't found any great places to find unique beverages. Something unusual here and there, but not a lot under one roof.

If you're in the area, there is a small store in Akron Ohio called West Point Market. Most of what they carry can also be found at Jungle Jim's, though.

cost plus doesn't have afri anymore. i gotta wonder why, oh SS?...
    woot woot

Did you try Fanta Squash Punch from Japan yet?

Beverages & More have a great selection out west. Cost Plus is pretty good, but they seem to have less variety lately. You can also take a look at the various Big Lots & other discount places along the way.

Now, if I could just find Fanta Red Cream again...
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...

Beverages and More is really a great place. Any wine, beer or soda you want, is probably in that store. Real Soda has done a great job in bringing to life the soda section. Hey, nothing can ever replace my diet coke, but as for a second choice, well there are 100's to choose from.

Woodman's in IL has Sprecher's, Stewart's, Berghoff, Blumer's and Goose Island in glass as well as an entire isle of Faygo in plastic & cans.
    (Carpentersville & Rockford)

Woodman's in WI has all of the above as well as O'Grady's, Gray's and a few others I can't recall.(many locations across the state - Milwaukee, Kenosha, Madison, etc...)

It depends on the store and each individual business decision. Every store in a chain can carry specific items on customer request, and such. Every Food Lion seems to have different stuff, some of it is pretty cool stuff, so just hit a bunch of any chain you can find.

Consistently, I've seen the best selection at Kroger myself, but I've seen a lot of interesting stuff at a lot of different chains.

ben Guest

one soda im really wanting to try is sprite blue from keroa