Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do people think of the many "New Age" diet beverages that have come to market? I'm talking about the products that use 0 calorie sweetners other than NutraSweet/Aspartame, including Pepsi One, Slim Jones, RC Diet, etc.

Personally, I would have to say that Pepsi One is just plain gross. Slim Jones, on the other hand, tastes acceptable. The flavor is a bit bland, but it has very minimal aftertaste.

What does everyone think about the potential of these new products?

springdew Guest

I think that the potential is huge. Those folks I know who regularly drink sugarless beverages tell me that the Slim Jones is absolutely excellent, far above and beyond products using the other sweeteneers. I myself haven't had an opportunity to taste any other sucralose product besides Jones except Pepsi One, which I didn't like. I did like Slim Jones Lime Cola, but not the other flavors. If it helps to compare, I have hated all Nutrasweet and saccharine beverages I've ever tasted except Diet Dr. Pepper. Anyway, so far as I can tell, and it's all anecdotal, sucralose has a huge potential, but it seems to be a matter of incorporating it into the flavor of the product smoothly, which Pepsi One seems not to be doing.

------------------
    Spring Dew
    Administration and Marketing
    Dry & Thirsty Beverage Distribution, Inc.

Yes, I guess I would agree that there is a huge potential. Personally, I try to never touch diet beverages that contain aspartame/nutra sweet because I really don't feel that they are good for you.

Suclarose, on the other hand, seems to have a much more natural taste. Maybe I will start drinking diet beverages if other products can start to use these new sweetners!

Well... perhaps the best "diet drink" with no artificial sweeteners or "bad" ingredients is the calorie-free "Acqua Minerale Santa Lucia" in the green glass bottles. It has no calories, no sugar, no nutrasweet, no saccharin, no Sucralose, and even no sodium. For some reason it's rather addictive. It's alot of fun to drink a 1-Liter glass bottle of ice cold Santa Lucia while driving down I-405; passersby think it's champagne!!! (note: I don't do that when passing up a motorcycle cop!)

notyou0 Guest

unless you suffer from phenylketonuria or are an infant, aspartame (nutrasweet) poses no threat to your well being. Sweet'N'Low might be dangerous, but there hasnt been a human cancer case attributed to to it yet...

people who talk about diet drinks as being unsafe remind me of those who think carbonation is hazardous to your health as well. just wanted to throw that out...

Herculon Guest

I for one think that Pepsi One is jus plain gross, I'd rather have a Tab any day. Anyway, I've never had this Jones soda you all speak of but I have had Diet Rc and thought it was very good, it is slightly bland but has little or no aftertaste, I wouldn't be suprised if it hurts the sales of Diet Rite (like Diet Coke did to Tab)

The Pepsi-one is a great idea, killer marketing stratagy to come in and use that 0 calorie sweetener, its just unfortunate that it doest taste that great at all. Slim Jones uses it excelently though, all the flavors taste great and lack almost no flavor from the original at all. I am a Diet Coke addict, and I hate seeing my Nutrasweet go away, but maybe its better that getting cancer

LES Guest

Got bad news for you guy's...Most of the companies that are using the new sweeteners (Sucralose and Acesulfame K) are blending with Nutrasweet. The main advantage for the new sweeteners is increased product shelf life, NOT TASTE. The products you like probably have a higher percentage of Nutrasweet. No one has "nailed" the blend just yet, but, it will happen.

sucraloseisgood Guest

For everyone's information, Pepsi One is made with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame-K, while Diet RC is made with only sucralose (not a blend). Almost every product with sucralose is made with 100% sucralose, while almost every product made with acesulfame-K is blended with aspartame. Read the labels.

thapibb Guest

Pepsi One is the work of the Devil.