Bevboard

Howdy

I found some bottles of Moxie at a local BevMo. Upon tasting I found it to be terrible. Is this normal? Could my bottle have been bad, old, tampered, etc?

I can't even identify the general flavor of the stuff. It seemed to be vaguely like black licorice but then i was hit with a strong medicine after taste. I am not joking when i say i have had liquid antibotics that have tasted better.

What gives? This almost destroyed my faith in quality soda. I was going to switch entirely to Safeway generic cragmont soda. Luckily i had a bottle of Stewarts grape on hand to save me.

Did it taste like a mixture of prune juice,motor oil and store brand cough syrup? If so you had a normal bottle or can.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

Yeah, Original Moxie is somethig to get used to. But its a great brand.

OH MOOOOXXXXIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They sell that here too.

But anyways Moxie is a very old soda, it was a big seller before Coke and Pepsi came out believe it or not. That's how old soft drinks used to taste....very strong.

Moxie never got rid of that medicinal flavor from back in the late 1800s, when soft drinks used to be medicine you could only get at a pharmacy. All the other drinks dropped the medicine flavor and ingredients to be more mainstream, but Moxie never did. Oh well.

I'd heard that original Moxie didn't taste very good so I passed when I had an opportunity. I did try the cherry cola variety though, which was OK.

andy
    Give me some cane sugar Pepsi in a glass bottle!!

Well it tastes somewhat like the flavor one would get licking a wooden utility pole or railway cross tie...in fact I think it IS based on creosote in some way...

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

I think that post right befor mine sums up the flavor of Moxie perfectly! Hey, if you think it tastes bad, you got a good bottle of it. I will liken the flavor of Moxie to licking the inside of a stove pipe! The Cherry isn't bad though.