Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reported in Business Week to be this summer's Mountain Dew line extension. Supposed to be an "orange flavored Mountain Dew", which is what I thought regular Mountain Dew was in the first place.

Hey Pepsi why don't you milk a few more dollars out of Dew? Clothing, Energy Drink, Code Red, Diet, Caffine Free, Ect. This has gotten out of hand. And the orginal is the only drinkable one of them all.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

I tried something like that a year or two ago, oddly enough. I stopped at some little grocery store to pick up some junk, and I bought some Mr. Fizz sodas, specifically Sun Mist. It was a unique rip-off of Mountain Dew with a strong orange flavor, not all that bad, just needed more carbonation. I stopped at the store a few months ago and they had dumped Sun Mist for a pure Mountain Dew style drink called Mountain Fizz. When I was leaving the store, a buggy full of assorted cans (probably from damaged 12-packs) was by the exit, with a sign on it saying "Take one on us!" I tried the Mountain Fizz. It didn't have that acid burn flavor of Mountain Dew. Pretty nice.

So what unnatural not derived from nature colour is this Dew gonna be? I'll bet the Papsi chemists are having a field day with the Pantone wheel...

I think these companies have officially run out of original ideas, so brand extension is the only way to go. Throw some watered down crap into a bottle, give it a crazy color and put a Mountain Dew logo on it. I will say that at least dnL is somewhat original and kinda tasty...

dnL is original? What? It's another Mountain Dew rip-off! It's a weak lime/citrus drink with very little flavor. It's just another knock-off just like DP's other citrus drinks Kick and Sundrop. My opinion, anyway.

Sales have been very good, public must like it.

Sales also are diff. depending who is selling.

Well I can't comment on sales numbers but I must say i think dnL is choice stuff. I wish people would not call anything citrus a Dew knock off. It doesnt matter who comes first. look at Coke and Pepsi.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

I agree. dnL is nothing like Dew, Surge, Mello Yello or any of those other orange juice/citrus drinks.

believe it or not dnL is not suposed to be a "Dew" knock off, its supposed to be a medley of citrus flavors and be the opposite of everything regular 7-up is.

I mean Citra was a citrus drink but nobody ever compared it as a "Dew" knock off.
    I know Coke now compares Mello Yello with Mountain Dew. For awhile there they were comparing Surge and Mountain Dew.

Surge has been dissapearing in a lot of places for some time... and the states that do still carry it have brought it to the dept. stores or dollar stores and give it a regular price of $1 for a 2 liter bottle now. There might be some small supermarkets that buy it in wholesale and re sell it in there stores though.

Also with-in the past 6 months or so each state is dropping Citra one by one. This stuff is going faster than any low selling Coca-Cola product i've seen yet!
    Does Coke ever just cancel a product all at once?

[ 02-11-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: XLS_03 ]