Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A&W Drive-In

I had no idea these existed, but I drove by two of them on my trip. This is the one in Madisonville TN.

I think A&W is owned by Yum Brands, and that they also own KFC, Long John Silvers, taco Bell,and Pizza Hut.

Before they were bought out I used 2 c A&W's like this in Oregon.

About everywhere I go on the west Coast they have new buildings housing 2, 3 and more of the above mentioned brands.

Pepsico used 2 own these restaurants B4 they spun them off, probably 2 raise money 4 Quaker/Gatorade.

we are lucky to have one of theese style places, that is not bundled with other brands, and has a drive in. pretty good food too.

There is an A&W drive in about an hour from me in Cortland, NY. There used to be a Stewarts drive in in Towanda, Pa but now it is a generic place.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

Oh yea. For people who like stuff like this www.roadsidepeek.com
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

oh yeah, i passed a dog n suds drive in today on my way to gurnee. i diddnt get to stop though.

[ 10-26-2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

I stopped at a "real" A&W drive-in in Austin MN (hometown of SPAM...) last month. All we have near here are the sit-down A&W/Long John Silver combinations. But the root beer is still awesome.

Indiana has got to be the mack daddy of Drive-In states, someday I want to road trip that route and OD on tenderloin and root beer.
    90 years of Cheer...1917-2007

I was familiar with the sit-down type A&W Restaurants, we used to have one near where I went to college (teamtitan can back me up on that). And I have also seen the cobranded versions (usually with a LJS), but I had no idea they had drive-ins.

We used to have a Stewart's restaurant about 20 minutes from where I live, but it went generic.

I grew up in near a small town named Lockport,IL.
    There was a A&W drive we used to see as we traveled through the town. We use to stop in for frosty mugs of root beers. YUM This was over 30 years ago. A relic of the past, it closed and was eventually tore down.

[ 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

There's still an A+W drive-in/restaurant in Casper, WY, an old facility that still has the 70's-vintage statues of family of "Root Bears" holding various food/drink items on the roof of the drive-in.
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!