Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vaultkicks.org today threw up a link to a very interesting Beverage Digest article about Vault sales. Infact its the first concrete numbers I have seen. They are very interesting and overwhelmingly positive. Here is a summary all data is from test markets only, not national since Vault is still regional:

Total Sales from June to Sept. 2.6 million cases (mostly through 20oz form.) Also there is currently no Vault in fountain and lower penitration of 12pks, cases, ect.

1. 1.5% of C-Store CSD 20oz sales tieing it with Sprite.

2. Coke is happy despite only 90% of predicted volume. Still this is understanble based on its poor showing in supermarkets (where it has been pushed least heavily and in some markets still unavalible in non 20-oz size). Here it even trails Mello Yello. This will obviously improve once size penetration is complete.

3.avrg. selling price of $1

4."after four months, Vault 20-oz in C-stores held 14.5 share of "20-oz regular citrus," while Mt. Dew's share in that sample had slipped from 79.5 to 67.4."- Obviously Vault is shining in 20oz which is really what Coke is expecting since thta has been where all the marketing is pointed.

5. 7% of households have tried Vault. 38% of those repurchise. The average number number of repetes is 2.1 times.

http://www.beverage-digest.com/editorial/051118.php
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

The fact that Vault sales are tied with Sprite is a very good sigh!
    Mello Yello Fans, visit my Forum: <a href=\"http://p2.forumforfree.com/melloyellofansi.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://p2.forumforfree.com/melloyellofansi.html</a>

To me, the most promising of the data is the 20oz numbers. Dew is strongest in 20oz, often outselling regular Pepsi in many chains.

Are you talking about 20oz btls 6pks or indiviual 20oz btls? At least in Chicago, there are so many sales, the 20oz 6pks move well for all brands. I guess it may be the super size generation of drinkers or multiple use of each bottle.

[ 11-24-2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

AFAIK, Coke doesn't do 20oz 6pks anymore. We got rid of them in Maryland a few years back when Coke started doing 24oz 6pks.

I don't recall seeing them anywhere from Pepsi in my travels lately, either. Just 16.9oz 6pks and 24oz 6pks.

Now, RC Winchester and Honickman Canada Dry still have 20oz 6pks.. Winchester moreso. Honickman has been buying more and more 16.9oz 6pks from other DSPU bottlers, like Independent (Charlotte NC) and Davis (Allentown PA).

20oz 6pks are generally a bad idea because you end up losing business in your small stores when the store owners hit the chain stores during a hot ad and stock up.

4."after four months, Vault 20-oz in C-stores held 14.5 share of "20-oz regular citrus," while Mt. Dew's share in that sample had slipped from 79.5 to 67.4."- Obviously Vault is shining in 20oz which is really what Coke is expecting since thta has been where all the marketing is pointed.

that doesn't surprise me, i bet that happened when surge came out too - seems to me that is just people trying it in c-stores.

[ 11-24-2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: pepsidew ]
    Vault Sucks, Do The Dew

O

that doesn't surprise me, i bet that happened when surge came out too - seems to me that is just people trying it in c-stores. [/QB]
    I agree in some ways. Still I think one important difference remains. SURGE only had a 1.1% return purchise rate. If you couple that with an average purchise of 1.4 purchises by these return buyers and you can see why Vault is more succesfull than SURGE in the same markets with far less marketing dollars.

I'm too tired right now but I'm hoping to address MDXs very anti-Vault stance in the next few days.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

This is definitely positive news. If Vault can at least hang somewhere around Sprite's numbers then that makes it a legitimate brand that will be around for awhile.

The key is that Coke needs to continue to nuture the brand and not expect miracles overnight. The competition is stiff and if you're going to put a dent in them you will have to do it over time.

ramonazo Guest

If Vault is going really well in sales, I hope they would accelerate the launching for January, cause I WANT TO KICK IT!

I'm interested to see how the Vault bashers will spin this data.

SEV [img]smile.gif[/img]