Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jblavit Guest

I was just wondering on pop cans and bottles it says you can get 10 cents in Michigan for turning them in and there are some other states where you can get about 5 cents. My question is for someone who lives there or anybody who knows can you really get 10 cents for a pop can? and is there convinent places to drop them off? I mean it is fareley easy to pick up ten pop cans off the ground and that would be a dollar right??

You are correct !!! Michigan wants you to recycle if you do not you are out 10 cents per can.

We have paper bags set aside for our empty cans/bottles in our home. Once we have 10 bags full, we take them to the nearest grocery store and get our deposit back...usually $20. It can be a messy job, but electronic "bottle return" machines make it an easy job (as long as the bar code is readable).

recycling cans is basically the only recycling which is actually helpful.. plastic, and etc.. not really.

check out penn and tellers show "bull****", and their episode on recycling.. amazing episode.

jblavit You do pay 5 or 10 cents over the price of the product as a deposit.
    So this is not free money.

jblavit Guest

but if you collect them off the ground it's easy money

easy? i don't think so.

jblavit Guest

Why is it not easy to pick up pop cans off the ground??

Its only free money if you didn't pay the deposit.

And you can't crush the cans - they have to be intact in order to get your deposit back.

By the way, in deposit states you won't likely see very many pop cans on the ground. Deposit laws really do work.

I've often wondered if returnables would have survived to the present day had universal deposit laws been enacted in the early 60's - back when returnables hadn't been phased out yet.

andy
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!