Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i just noticed this today and it confuses me. In my area, Pepsi distributes dr pepper in cans, and bottles, but on fountain, it can be found on both Pepsi fountains and Coke ones. How is this?

Fountain contracts are different than bottle/can contracts.

When I was at BK, the Dr. Pepper had a different nozzle... it was the same one that Pepsi uses. And Coke bottles/cans DP here, so I found it odd.

But we never got our beverages directly from coke or pepsi. So I think Pepsi deals with fountain DP in my area, because BK is the *only* place that has fountain coke that has DP... everyplace else has Pibb Xtra. I take that back, I think Mcdonalds might have Dr. Pepper, but I doubt it.

With the chains, the bag in box or tanks come right off the same truck that delivers everything else. And other places get theirs from their foodservice distributor.

The local bottlers do sell a good bit of bag in box, though. We carry a pretty good variety of the well known brands.. Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, Nestea, etc.. plus a line of Master Pour mixers for bar guns. For some reason, I think we also had Fanta Ginger Ale instead of Master Pour Ginger Ale for a short time as well.

Ah, that might explain how certain sites of the big restaurant chains manage to have Dr Pepper that is SO MUCH BETTER than other places in town. It almost made me think that they were using less HFCS, and more sucrose (do the chains have control on that aspect of the production process?).

-Doug

Originally posted by doug1885:
    Ah, that might explain how certain sites of the big restaurant chains manage to have Dr Pepper that is SO MUCH BETTER than other places in town. It almost made me think that they were using less HFCS, and more sucrose (do the chains have control on that aspect of the production process?).

-Doug
    It's all about the brix, or the ratio of syrup to soda water. The brix on soft drinks should be 5 parts water to 1 part syrup. I work for a Pepsi bottler and we used to have Dr. Peppper fountain. We would always go a bit heavy on the Pepper syrup and still do on the Pepsi. Its what makes it taste so much better. Chains have absolutely no control over the prodution standards or specs. Most major chains get product via foodservice truck while local format accounts get theirs off the Pepsi or Coke truck depending on who has the rights.
    banned

Great information. Why did your company drop Dr. Pepper?? What did you replace it with?? Were customers upset??

The best fountain drinks depend on the brix, quality of water, quality of ice and cleanliness of the fountain equipment.

Remember when you pour a fountain drink you are mixing the drink right there and unlike bottle can sometimes factors affect the quality of the drink.

We only had Dr. Pepper fountain, no bottle and can. We dropped for many reasons. Our cost on it was high, we recieved no support or funding from Dr.Pepper/Seven-Up for equipment, and on top of it Pepsico paid us a lump sum to drop it and take on Dr.Slice which they later dropped. We now have Cheerwine fountain, bottle, and can. This replaced Dr.Slice. Some customers were upset, however they understood the situation and not one customer switched to Coke.

Also, it is thought throughout the beverage world that fountain is designed to boost bottle and can brand loyalty. We compete directly with Dr.Pepper in bottle and can so it didn't make much sense for us to push it when we could help our own cause with Wild Cherry Pepsi, Cheerwine, Dt.Dew, etc...

[ 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: mofizz ]
    banned

cheerwine on fountain? that is awesome... i would like to find some of that.

When I visited NC, plenty of places had it on fountain.