Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coke Zero

The new Coke Zero actually seems appealing. Its wierd that theyre Ebaying a sample of it though.

what do you mean? i checked ebay and didnt see any "coke zero" ??

They are going to sell a sample on ebay in early april.

Here is the press release:
    Coke Zero Press Release

http://www.cocacolazero.com/press.html

AWESOME! exactly what I want!

Yeah....pretty design (I know, the word pretty is a little girly but it is pretty)......much better than anything they have done in the last few years.....i wonder if the Ebay thing is the test marketing...i hope they do test market it elsewhere..........

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand Coke's logic in this case. First they're going to launch Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda, which is presumably based on the Diet Coke/New Coke/Coke II formula. Then they're going to launch Coke Zero, based on the Coke Classic formula and sweetened with aspartame and Ace-K.

Now come on, certainly I'm not the only one who thinks it would've been a MUCH better idea to kill two birds with one stone, and launch a product based on the Coke Classic formula and sweetened with Splenda.

First of all, it's going to cause mass confusion if Coke launches two alternatives to regular Diet Coke in such short succession. Coke will then have FOUR different diet colas in their portfolio (including Tab), plus the mid-calorie C2. I just don't feel that there's enough room for all these products.

Secondly, I don't see a lot of people being satisfied with these two new products. Most of the diehard Diet Coke drinkers probably aren't going to switch to the Splenda formula, and the people looking for a diet cola that tastes like Coke probably aren't going to be too attracted by something that contains Aspartame.

Coke could have enjoyed at least moderate success if they just released a Splenda-sweetened version of Coca-Cola Classics. Instead, they're going to clutter the market with two new diet colas that are both probably going to appeal to a minimal amount of people. I just can't see either of these products sticking around in the long run.

Bag on Pepsi all you want, but I think they made the much better decision in the zero-carb wars - simply relaunching Pepsi One with Splenda and leaving Diet Pepsi alone. Granted, Diet Pepsi was always based on the same formula as regular Pepsi, and there may be some diehard fans of the original Pepsi One (or as one person on Salute To Soda called it, "Pepsi 1.0"), but overall, I see them having the bigger success in this case.

Of course, I am going to give all the new products a fair chance.

[ 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

i thinke coke zero sounds like a great idea..

diet coke with splenda, i dunno, it might eb confusing, but there are ALOT of diet coke fans, they might like this version better.

Personally, I think it is possible that the Diet w/ Splenda could eventually replace Diet Coke.

Coke's been reformulating their diet drinks, and adding Ace-K to the flavored colas, plus Diet Sprite (Diet Barq's, too.. I think). It really cuts down on the aspartame aftertaste.

I don't see Coke Zero having a lot of legs, though. They should have put Splenda in it. I could see C2 dying off if Zero does well, though.

Also, I'm not quite sure that Diet Pepsi is based on Pepsi. I think it's a different formula, like Coke and Diet Coke.

IMHO,

Some of this is the "Strawberry-Banana Jello" theory of marketing. (Stores have X amount of space to devote to any product type, so market leaders make so many versions that alternative brands are pushed out).

But this product has a shot. Diet Coke is not really Diet Coke, its Diet New Coke. Always has been. So the company finally makes Diet real Coke.

As to Diet Coke with Splenda, clearly it will only be sold along side Diet Coke with Nutra Sweet for a limited time, eventually it will replace the older version.

Shelf space, at least from what I have seen, remains fairly constant over time. I can't remember picking up space in any major chain accounts, and only in one independent did we gain space in the past few years.

It's getting to the point where it is just getting rediculous. You can only cram so much into a twenty foot section. Fridgepacking helped, because you could "shotgun" the slower flavors, but even with that, so much new stuff has come out, that it's all pointless at this point.

In my opinion, you need at least 28-32 feet of shelf space just to carry all the brands and properly represent them. This goes for Coke as well as Pepsi.. possibly 3rd tier if they've got a Dr Pepper franchise and do well with their other brands.