Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CHICAGO, April 6 (Reuters) - Beverage company Glaceau on Thursday said it has filed a complaint in federal court in New York, claiming that PepsiCo Inc.'s (PEP.N: Quote, Profile, Research) SoBe Life Water copies Glaceau's vitaminwater enhanced water beverage's packaging.

The lawsuit, filed by Glaceau parent Energy Brands Inc., accused PepsiCo of mimicking vitaminwater's packaging in order to confuse customers.

Similarities include "a nearly identical" bottle, a two-toned label, a clear plastic cap and other factors, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit asks that PepiCo be stopped from selling Life Water in its current packaging and from doing anything else that is likely to confuse consumers into thinking Life Water is vitaminwater or comes from Glaceau.

The lawsuit also seeks triple financial damages from PepsiCo.

The lawsuit said PepsiCo is launching Life Water only after trying unsuccessfully to acquire the vitaminwater brand earlier this year.

A PepsiCo spokesman could not be reached for comment.

The lawsuit is the latest skirmish in the beverage arena as companies like PepsiCo are trying hard to woo consumers who are moving away from sugary soft drinks to healthier low-or no-calorie products such as water and reduced sugar juices.

The added nutritional supplements in products like vitaminwater also are aimed at consumers who are willing to pay extra for a perceived health benefit.

PepsiCo shares were down 6 cents at $57.83 on Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange.

In your face, PepsiCo!

There's no need for that Ramon! I guess we'll see what happens with this...the labels are similar. Are they similar enough to confuse the two brands? That, I don't know.
    I respect your right to hear my opinion.

Good for Glaceau! If it's true that Pepsico tried to buy them and Glaceau turned them down then they have a pretty good chance of winning this lawsuit.
    Pepsico and Coke have the same business philosphy.....If you can't beat em,,,, buy em!
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

mr jones.
    The little one in your Avatar is a cutie pie. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Welcome to our home away from home.

I agree with you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Originally posted by pepsipimp:

The lawsuit asks that PepiCo be stopped from selling Life Water in its current packaging and from doing anything else that is likely to confuse consumers into thinking Life Water is vitaminwater or comes from Glaceau.
    doing anything else that is likely to confuse customers - what do you mean? like stopping it completly? i'm sure glaceau would love that - heres to pepsi winning this suit and then pushing the hell out of life water and running glaceau into the ground

anyways they dont even look the same LOL

[ 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: pepsidew ]
    Vault Sucks, Do The Dew

Originally posted by mr jones:
    There's no need for that Ramon!
    Sorry, I overreacted, but Pepsi finally is receiving a soup of their own chocolate (like we say) after sueing Coke for such a stupid thing like the calories in a Powerade Option ad.

Originally posted by pepsidew:

anyways they dont even look the same LOL

Not only is the packaging similar, many of the flavours are similar too.

It's just an effort to slow down any momentum the Giant Soda Co. has. Maybe they can get some Judge to see things their way.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

The packaging, colors, sweetner, etc. do seem to be a copycat. Nothing wrong with making a similar product but do it your own way. When the Sobe brand was on fire Snapple came out with elements in its own unique package/bottle. If Dole comes out with a sparkling juice, like rumor has it, will they copy the Izze bottle and label? I have to side with Glaceau on this one even though they are my competition right now.