Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

My wife and I went up to the Catawissa Bottling Company in PA. over the weekend. What A place, you would have to see it to beleive it. Way out in the middle of the mountains, in a very old building with old soda machines, signs, and barrels all over the front porch. Kegs of Beer stacked up all over the side of the building. You go in through a side door to purchase product. On your right is a small cooler with drinks in it, in front of you is an old wooden rack with more product in it, up on a corner shelf to the left above your head is a selection of Moxie. All the sodas in returnable glass bottle. We got 3 cases of stuff, which is stacked all around you, it was packed in the old fashioned wooden crates. The little room all this is in is about 10 foot square. Very old building in need of repair. I thought the place was great! The bottles they bottle in came from old bottling companies from all over the place. They put their lables over the original ones. Some of the bottles are 50 to 60 years old. You must return them though. So I suppose when I run out I will be making another trip up there. My wife got a picture of me in front of the building. If I am able I will post it for all to see. If I can figure out how to do it. On a side note we also found coke in 6 oz bottles that had the 100th. anniversary of the York bottling plant on them. We also found A-Treat sodas here and there. I had supposed they went out of business. Nothing else was found that was worth reporting. Except maybe canada dry bitter lemon in small 6 oz. disposable bottles.

[ 11-03-2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

I think those Coke bottles are 8 oz. bottles. Central Coke has 100 yr. commemorative bottles here too in NR's celebrating 100 years of Coke in Cumberland, although the past almost 10 have been years of only a sales center, and most of the 100 wasn't Central Coke.

I have A Treat bottles with the Big Ben label slapped on them.
    A Treat just had an ad in a Pennsylvania supermarket industry publication.
    I have been wanting to get to Catawissa to check the place out. BottleBoss any idea where (towns) that you found the A Treat and Coke York bottles?
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

Also besides Moxie was there any other non Catawissa product there?

A Treat is in Allentown, and I have seen their stuff down almost as far as where I live, but only in Giant supermarkets. They usually have about 4 feet in each store, or so. Other than that, you might find them in dollar stores, in small mom and pop stores, etc.

Must not be the entire chain. My Martin's stores do not sell anything by the name of A-Treat, neither does any Giant I've ever been in, being around Chambersburg and Hanover.

Since A-Treat delivers from their own trucks, I doubt you'd see it as far as Chambersburg.

I remember drinking A-Treat at my grandmother's house near Scranton when I was a kid. I saw it recently on a website that sold out of date stuff. I hadn't seen it in years.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

They had the York Coke Bottles all over. Hanover, Hershey, A small store in Ashton which is just a few miles south of Catawissa. We were in and out of Catawissa pretty quick, I don't remember seeing that they had any other sodas except Moxie and Big Bens. They had a lot of Beer though.

BottleBoss, a few more questions. Can you see the bottling operation? Do they still make Cola? Last 2 times I found any there was no Cola. How did you like the product? I liked all except the Grape.