Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

cadbury-sweppes...

well, sort of.

overall, for the first time in over a decade, case volume sales were down (slightly) in the US.

according to beverage digest, coca-cola company's market share remained flat at 43.1%. pepsico's slipped to 31.4% (from 31.7 last year). and cadbury's (dr. pepper/7-up) grew to 14.6% (from 14.5).

among top CSD (carbonated soft drinks), coke classic fell to 17.6% (from 17.9). pepsi fell to 11.2% (from 11.5). diet coke grew to 9.8% (up from 9.7). diet pepsi fell to 6.0% (from 6.1). and mountain dew grew to 6.5% (from 6.3).

new entries on the top 10 list were fanta and diet mountain dew.

also, coca-cola would have experienced a loss of market share were it not for new products like coke zero, diet coke with splenda and full throttle.

for the full story and top 10 companies and brands, check out this link:

http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2006.pdf
    banned

also of note, diet coke continued its quest to overtake pepsi as the #2 soda... in spite of competition from coke zero and diet coke with splenda (which is counted separately from diet coke).

whether it will ever actually happen, though, remains to be seen. eventually, pepsi's (and coke classic's) decline will level out, and diet coke's surge will peak. the question is whether it will happen before diet coke catches up with pepsi.

[ 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]
    banned

Just my opinion but I do not believe that Fanta as a whole should not be in the top ten. If one particular flavor is top ten then so be it, but to take the brand "fanta" as a whole IMO is just crazy since there are like 6 flavors.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

Originally posted by the saint:
    Just my opinion but I do not believe that Fanta as a whole should not be in the top ten. If one particular flavor is top ten then so be it, but to take the brand "fanta" as a whole IMO is just crazy since there are like 6 flavors.
    does it say that it's counting all the fantas? i wasn't clear on that. but, i agree, each flavor should be counted separately... just like diet coke and caffeine free diet coke are counted separately.

it also says that most of fantas sales come from orange. probably because that's what they sell at restaurants and fountains.
    banned

was 7up ever in the top 10? and i wonder how pepsi & coke would fair if all the varities of the two were included like cherry coke and wild cherry pepsi? we'll see if in 2006 mountain dew can keep growing with vault out nationwide. as long as pepsi still rules in other non-carb areas - water, tea, coffee, and gains some ground in energy drinks i think staying flat or small gains in 2006 will be okay
    Vault Sucks, Do The Dew

Originally posted by pepsidew:
    was 7up ever in the top 10? and i wonder how pepsi & coke would fair if all the varities of the two were included like cherry coke and wild cherry pepsi? we'll see if in 2006 mountain dew can keep growing with vault out nationwide. as long as pepsi still rules in other non-carb areas - water, tea, coffee, and gains some ground in energy drinks i think staying flat or small gains in 2006 will be okay
    7Up has been in decline for several decades and dropped out of the Top 10 a few years ago.

mountain dew has been surging for years (it overtook sprite and dr pepper several years ago), which is probably why coke is trying so hard to tap into that market. it's inevitable that vault will have some kind of impact (especially if it's sold in fountains/restaurants), but it will be a long time (i expect) before it closes in on Dew.

i was surprised to see diet Mt Dew in the Top 10, as well as Fanta. but, does pepsi even sell an orange drink anymore? if not, it's no wonder fanta is selling so well--no competition.

[ 04-09-2006, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]
    banned

Originally posted by pepsidew:
    you also made a good point about pepsi's non-carbonated bev business doing very well--that's where the real growth is. and that's why coke is trying to catch up as fast as it can.

keep in mind, the Top Ten listed in the article only includes carbonated drinks/sodas/energy drinks.
    banned

7UP was in the top ten through 2003- it basically got knocked off after Pepsi went Mist only and 7up went exclusivly 3rd tier- meaning a huge loss of on vending and fountain.
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

If Coca-Cola stays being No. 1 in the sodas market... it's enough for me

Originally posted by SURGE:
    7UP was in the top ten through 2003- it basically got knocked off after Pepsi went Mist only and 7up went exclusivly 3rd tier- meaning a huge loss of on vending and fountain.
    wow! i hadn't realized 7up was in the top 10 upto 2003.

so, i imagine they're still hovering around the top 10, then.

it's still a recognizable, national brand, but... honestly, i can't remember that last time i've seen a 7up commercial... or a dr. pepper commercial. cadbury just seems to be letting the 7up brand die.
    banned