Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frutopia, RIP

Coke HQ picked a quiet summer weekend to announce that it is dumping the Frutopia line.

IMHO, the failure can be written off to three factors:

- Bad marketing. Snapple was associated with Rush Limbaugh. So, KO, one of the largest corporations in the world, picks this 60s-hippie theme. Right, lots of people make beverage choices based on politics.

- no support. The classic KO theme is to copy a flavor and let the KO marketing machine take it from there. KO copied Snapple, but never did any work with it. Never saw it in KO vending machines, and never saw it in many stores.

- the whole market was a fad. Seen any Snapple lately? The whole market segment was nothing great.

I think a big part of its' failure was the low juice content. 3% or 5% isn't going to cut it in a school setting. By upping it to 10%, cutting out some of the crap, and presenting it as part of a portfolio including Dasani, Nestea, and Swerve, Coke will have an advantage when it comes to bidding on beverage contracts, and keeping vending machines in schools.

I guess they also realized that kids don't really buy hip juice-type drinks. So they reformulated and repackaged it as Minute Maid, which is a more adult brand.

I really can't see any similarity between Fruitopia and Snapple. Although I did read an AJC article that compared the two. Maybe it's because both came in a 16oz glass bottle, and had fruit-related flavors? I tend to think of Snapple because of their tea, not their juice drinks.

There was a Fruitopia tea line, but it was dumped after Coke/Nestle came out with Nestea. The rest of the lineup has been centered around different juice-type concoctions.

These are the flavors I've seen while working with the company (I may have missed a few, there have been so many):

The Grape Beyond
    Fruit Integration *
    Raspberry Psychic Lemonade
    Peach Out
    Cherry Vanilla Groove
    Strawberry Passion Awareness *
    Kiwiberry Ruckus
    Orange Undercurrent
    Tangerine Wavelength
    Citrus Excursion
    Berry Lemonade
    Beachside Blast
    Peachberry Quencher
    Tremendously Tangerine

* only two that survived the whole time I've been with Coke.

According to BevNet (and others), there have been a few others (some were only in Canada):

Lemon Berry Intuition Iced Tea
    Pink Lemonade Euphoria
    Lemonade Hope & Love
    Tropical Consideration
    Mind Over Mango
    Passionfruit Lemon Infinity
    Citrus Bliss
    Apple Raspberry Embrace
    Apple & Tangerine Dream
    Banana Vanilla Rapture
    Blackcurrant Babylon

As I mentioned in another thread, Pepsi is killing Fruitworks, and they are also eliminating Brisk Lemonade, though both should be reincarnated with a Tropicana name. Coke will still sell Fruitopia in Canada, though.

I can't even remember what flavor of Fruitopia I tried when it first came out but it was about the nastiest "fruit" drink I ever had. I think I drank about 2 ounces of it and tossed the rest. I never did try any of the other flavors.

I remember four years ago in middle school they sold fruitopia. God that stuff was horrible. No one bought it. It was just so fake and artificial.
    Tea Time! It\'s Tea time....<br /><br />Carbonated Tea.

I doubt we'll be seeing any SaveFruitopia.com efforts coming anytime soon.

This is one brand no one will be sorry to see die a painful death, and the Minute Maid brand will do well I think, much better at least. The juice line, combined w/the Fruit Soda line which appears to be toppling Fanta, is going to have Minute Maid become maybe the next most important brand line for Coke after itself and Sprite.

I never had any idea there were that many flavors of fruitopia. I have only seen maybe 6 or 8 in the what 5 years or so since it was launched.
    As far as brisk lemonade that will be a brand that I am sure 3 or 4 people in the world will be sorry to see go, between that, pepsi twist and sierra mist I really do not know which I have more outof dates on.
    the following is intended for jack only, you can probably look on PBG website for the info on oods if you want to follow up on my statement. once again I did not check the factual numbers when I wrote the statement about ood product.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

Good riddance.

Interesting. Fruitopia just went into the fountain at my local Mickey D's.
    I like new, weird colas

Powerade Mountain Blast has gone fountain at McD's here. McD's basically does everything they can in fountain to avoid having a real soda selection. My local ones in Cumberland have the best soda selection for McD's period (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Barq's, Pibb). For a McD's, that's sadly good.

They are discontinuing Lipton Brisk? Just the Lemonad/Pink Lemonade or the Iced Tea too? Pepsi goes again in just copying Coke in using juice brand names to market lemonade. Pepsi looks more sad every day.

The McD's in Missouri have Dr P/Diet DP on tap, and I've seen Fanta in New Mexico (with Powerade Mt Blast)