Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was cruzing the internet and I found a site http://www.hrc.org/ that rated 300+ of the USAs largest companies on how they treat their gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered employees. One of the lowest overall rated industries was the food and beverage industry unfortunatly. Pepsi rated and awefull 29%. Where as competitor Coca-Cola rated an above average 71%. The scores are based on many factors that are listed on the the site. No matter what your take on people or diffrent sexualities is this is prob. worth a read.

-Avery
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>

Any company that discriminates or makes life uncomfortable for my gay n' lesbian homies can go to hell.

Pepsi's products suck and apparently the company does too.

word up with that. but coke's been taking a lot of flack overseas for such things as how they treat (or rather, don't treat) their employees with AIDS or HIV in Africa and other things like that. kinda sounds like their conditions in some parts of the world suck in their company.
    woot woot

Let's face it, if ya aint livin in the modern world, life in general sucks. Anyone expecting an evil corporate giant who operates in a third world country to give a damn about their employees should go sit in a circle and sing kum-by-ya!
    banned

There is no excuse for an American company to act that way and they should be held accountable.

Come on... how can you be serious??? That post is pure "lets bash Pepsi because I don't like them". The Save Surge campaign must be getting tough.

First it is illegal to even ask a someone about their sexual orientation during a job interview. Most would probably be in the closet so how would you really know? Most people would not bring it up either it is their private life.

So before you start preaching the greatness and fairness of Coke, keep in mind they are currently fighting numerous lawsuits for discriminating against blacks. On the other hand Pepsi has won many awards for being one of the most culturally diverse company in the USA.

Pepsi hires blacks and Hispanics but no gays??? I don't think so.

I detest both Papsi and Choke equally. They both sell ****e products and indulge in dodgy behaviour.

Pepsi is no more evil than Coke when it comes to race and discrimination but I'm quite tired of people saying they are "the perfect company" blah blah blah. This is just leveling the plain. Coke does alot of bad stuff too. Especially overseas and everybody notices but Pepsi gets away with alot more becouse the arnt the big guy. Surge Pepsi hires gays but if you read the website you might be a bit more informed and able to post a more informed comment, just try it.

-Avery

Ok first of all, the original post about how companies treat gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered employees gives no information on how they are mistreated or what constitutes mistreatment.

Second, what does sexual preference have anything to do with a business such as soft drink manufacturing anyway?? I mean who is to know who is gay and whos not anyway? How can you possibly document an accurate rating system on something like sexual preference when its not even common knowledge what someones sexual preference is? Its like saying "Latest Poll: Lutherans are highly mistreated by Chuck E. Cheese restruants". How would anyone know that unless some people claiming to be Lutherans got mad that their order was messed up after church? Thats what it sounds like here with the Gay community. A bunch of Gay's getting upset that they weren't hired or something. Well, I'm a white male American and what if I don't get hired? Can I complain too? What ever happened to the American dream and getting hired on the basis of your workmanship?

[ 08-18-2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: jericho ]

As I posted in the original post -"The scores are based on many factors that are listed on the the site."- Since many people on this board would prefer and bitch and not read I will convey it to you in the simplest way possible though the actual system is quite complex. The rating is not based on the hiring/firing of GLBT people it is based on company polocies about those people. Example: compensation for "life partners", seminars, and other such activities. As is pointed out ON THE SITE in many states it is still not against the law to fire or not hire someone based on sexual orientation. When I posted this I assumed obviously incorrectly that if people really wanted to debate this they would go to the site that I linked to and read it.....ohh well.

-Avery