Bevboard

I went on an epic quest for Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda yesterday. I used to be able to find it locally, but it has become very scarce over the last few years. We went up to Pikesville, MD, which has a large Jewish population figuring we could find it there at a large kosher supermarket. They didn't have it, but the Pikesville Safeway had one six-pack left. While we were there, we also visited a Russian Jewish Deli where we were the only non-Russians in the place (where I found some Russian Orange Fanta amidst about 1,000 different kinds of Kvas) and a Latino market where I found some Mexican pops including Orange Crush and Guatemalan Salvavidas Uva in long neck returnables. I brought in a bottle of Mexi Crush and a bottle of good ol’ American Crush to see if me and two of my work buddies could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

Work saw how much fun our monthly taste-tests have been and have asked bluredoasis and myself to host a soda tasting party for one of our Cultural Initiative meetings. We have decided to expose folks to different sodas in four categories. So far we have:

International/Ethnic – D&G Ginger Beer, Jarritos Tamarind, Cel-Ray, Russian Fanta

Nostalgic – Orange Crush, Hire’s Root Beer, Yoo-Hoo, Squirt

Regional – PA Dutch Birch Beer, Cheerwine, Suburban Almond Smash

Diet (as requested by the ladies) – PA Dutch, Diet Rite Tangerine/Red Raspberry/Black Cherry, Jones Watermelon (mid-calorie). I hope to find diet Orange Crush, which is scarce.

I’m sure we’ll add several others, as well. It’ll be interesting to see if we can get some converts.
    With thousands of sodas available for the choosing, why drink just one or two?

Help

In Maryland (Metro-Area)
    Looking for Nehi Grape (hard to find)
    & Boylans Birch Beer

thanks..
    Look around at all the plastic people who live without a care. Try to sit with me around my table but never bring a chair.

Jarritos tamarindo... so recommendable...

Boylans, try Cost Plus World Market.

Germantown - Milestone Shopping Center (355 @ 27)
    Rockville - Mid-Pike Plaza (355 @ Montrose)

or, Trader Joe's

Gaithersburg - Montgomery Village Plaza (behind Lakeforest Mall).
    Rockville - Federal Plaza (355 @ Montrose)

Nehi Grape... good luck on that. The closest distributor I have found is H&H Distributing from Urbanna, VA. They have longnecks from Dr Pepper West Jefferson.

their number is 804-758-4115. They deliver up 17 and 301 in eastern Virginia.. not sure how far west they go, or where they deliver the Nehi to. I always find it at the Buy Rite in Warsaw.

What about that.. Sutton Place/Balducci's place?

Thanks Fusion
    Look around at all the plastic people who live without a care. Try to sit with me around my table but never bring a chair.

Another Quest: in the Virginia and Maryland area
    RC with Cane
    China Cola
    &
    Afro Cola

Thanks..

H&H also carries the cane RC.

Afri-Cola is not in the US anymore. One of our fellow board members used to be the importer.. but apparently the Afri-Cola company isn't exporting it to the US now.

No idea about the China cola.

Thanks again Fusion, I went to Buy Rite in Warsaw this past Saturday and found the last 2 Nehi Grape Sodas they had, also found a Cane A&W Root Beer, gooood and Welches Strawberry, which I have never seen in my area.
    Thanks a million again..