Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ok, i'm 17, and ive never seen a cola that was clear. I used to know a scientist (my teacher) who worked for coca cola and said they actually put a small amount of caramel in it, thus camarel color.

But what makes it brown? If you take kola/koka leaves and put it in, will it make it brown? I've always wondered this. Also, was Crystal pepsi any good?? I'm sorry for asking so many questions..

I might just email pepsico or coca cola and ask them. Im as much as a fan of colas as any of you other guys! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Caramel is not put in Coke, although their flavoring might have a little caramel-inspired flavor to it.

Most sodas on the market could be clear if they wanted to. All the colors you see are articifially added for marketing.

SEV [img]smile.gif[/img]

What is the reasoning behind this? Why would 'brown' soda appeal to people? of course, I can't imagine drinking a soda that isn't brown, but this is probably just due to the fact of the stigma attached to drinking only brown soda my whole life...I guess once you drink 'clear soda' your mind thinks "wait, this isn't real cola", heh.

I wonder why it is brown..

Did you know that Bourbon is clear? The makers add food coloring(loosely speaking) to give it that "brown" color.
    This is the same with most sodas. Do you think that Sunkist is naturally that bright orange color?
    It's part of what they are selling/marketing.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Of course not. But why would they want to make it brown? When you think of kola nuts (most people dont) do you think of brown liquid? heh

I understand the situation with the sunkist, but not with cola, in fact, it seems unappealing.

Well, It is Caramel Color that is added to make the color "brown"

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

Maybe it was brown to cover up that cocaine they used to mix up in it. Back in the day, there were probably all sorts of little granules floating around that made it impossible to market as "clear". And then once people are used to it, why change an appearance that works? Like you said, it's something everyone is used to. This is why Crystal Pepsi (which I liked, btw, the one time I had it, when all soda still came in glass bottles) didn't go over so well, I guess.

That's my theory. I really don't know much about it at all.

You also need to realize that there is no "kola" in cola. Much like the "caramel", there is instead a kola flavoring in the syrup.

greg, are you sure bourbon is clear? Most liquors and spirits are clear until they're aged in barrels, where they acquire a brownish color.

SEV [img]smile.gif[/img]

As far as I know bourbon is clear. The barrels used for aging are wiped down with charcoal, hickory, or another type of flavoring system. So yes , the barrels help with coloration. I stand corrected.
    Thanks
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!