Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hey guys! I just wan't to ask you why has it been so hard for Coke to put together decent competition vs. Mountain Dew? I mean it's been quite easy for Pepsi to introduce Sierra Mist which is now compeating well with Sprite. So why then has it been so hard for the worlds largest soft drink company to compeate with Pepsi's Mountain Dew. Why don't they introduce Mello Yello nationwide. It seems to do very well against Mountain Dew in the Southeast.

I thought that Mellow Yellow was nationwide. What parts of the US don't have it?

nope mello yello is not nationwide or i would be drinking it every day. i live in ny and i cant find it anywhere. only time i get to drink it is when i go to pennsylvania on vacation twice a year and even then its hard to find

by the way this is my first time posting i finally got around to actually registering after just reading posts for about a year

I'm in the San Francisco bay area and we do not get MY.
    Time is never wasted when you\'re wasted all the time.

Has Mello Yello ever been sold in the NYC area? I don't recall ever seeing it here. We did have Surge for a while, though.

Coke tried Mello Yello out in the Dallas area three times in the past few years, but it just didn't do well. It's been gone from this area for something like five years.

I think Mello Yello was introduced all over the country about 10 years ago. But Coke quickly pulled it. When Mello Yello and Surge were introduced, I don't think Coke was really serious about them, or they would of had Surge and Mello Yello in every Coke fountain, and machine. But Coke never did put a citrus soda in every fountain and Coke Machine when they introduced MY and Surge. Also Coke has done a horrible job of advertising it's citrus sodas. Why? - doesn't Coke realise how much they are loseing by not compeating with Dew?

I can give you many places it's not sold.

Cleveland
    Buffalo
    NYC
    Boston
    Philadelphia
    California
    The entire west coast
    The entire Northeast except for parts of CT, VT, NH, and ME.

It's a marginal brand in Pittsburgh and DC, and sold sparingly with no advertising. Other than the south in TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, this brand receives NO advertising and almost no recognition of even existing. It's amazing they sell any.

You can add Texas to the list of states that don't have Mello Yello. I found it in only a few places in the midwest on a recent road trip.

Well, for one thing Mello Yello doesn't taste as good as Mt. Dew.

I remember seeing Mello Yello in Atlanta in late 1978, so I suspect that's where & when it started.

Coke has been able to advertise Coke & Sprite very well, but the other brands suffer badly. Strange that they should be able to keep Barq's afloat (pun intended ), & made all their bottlers dump Fanta Root Beer & Ramblin' RB, but the come & go of Fanta flavors, MM, & MY makes one wonder how bad their long range planning is. MY in particular surrenders sales outside Coke if they loose market share, it's not like trading Fanta for Minute Maid.

Yet, there is so many ads for Coke itself it's as though they feel that they will go out of business if they switched just 10% of their Coke ads for Fanta or MY. And I don't think they pushed Surge very hard at all.

Yet, I see ads for Sonic Drive Ins & Long John Silver's on TV here, but these chains aren't even around here.

[ 07-29-2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...