Bevboard

Thread: Reading labels

I admit it.. I read labels.

I've always wondered what RECOT meant on Frito-Lay bags.. and what S-VC meant on Gatorade. I finally figured out it means Stokley-Van Camp, who originally owned the brand.

Another funny thing is typos. ConnieVandelay posted a picture of a 12oz Sundrop bottle -- with "intented" instead of "intended" on the back.. and I bought a gallon of the new Turkey Hill Southern style tea last week -- the ingredients list featured "High Gructose Corn Syrup."

Now that's funty. LOL

ramonazo Guest

When I bought a Coke in December 2002 with the actual label (novelty then) I noticed that started to appear a logo that says ECOCE, and like fusion with RECOT, I wondered "What means ECOCE?, It's some new Coca-Cola mexican division or what?" then in the next days not only Coke, also Pepsi and other brands use that logo, so I asked myself again: "Well, that's not about Coke... so what it is?", finally found the answer, ECOCE is Ecologia y Compromiso Empresarial A.C. (Environment and Business Commitment), an organization that grouped Coke, Pepsi, Aga, Cadbury Schweppes... all the soft drink companies (except Big Cola) to commit them to preserve the environment and promote the recycling of PET. More info here

And here's a video of all the companies who joined ECOCE: Watch video

[ 12-30-2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

I think recot is who makes the bags for frito, but I could be wrong.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

When I was in high school I loaded trucks for the local Coke bottler. It was not at all uncommon to come accross Coke (or allied brand) bottles with Pepsi or even Shlitz crowns. Sometimes we would find cans with the paint scheme messed up. At one time I had quite an assortment of odd products.
    banned

pretty sure that recot is the overseeing body of frito-lay - that is, frito-lay is actually owned by recot, inc.

not sure but it's what i could dig up on the web
    woot woot

I thought Frito-Lay was owned by Pepsico?

I have a nice collection of typos on product labeling. I have coca-cola coasters for cold DINKS.

I have a coca-cola throwaway that reads 'dispose of PROPRELY'. It's actually embossed on the glass, not the label.

I have a coca-cola carton, which says the Red DICK icon is property of coca-cola.

I have a 48oz. Sprite with a 64oz. label on it.

That's all I can think of right now. You'd think they have superior quality control but I guess they slip through sometimes.

Pepsi-Co owns a lot. They own Frito Lay, Yum! Brands (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, KFC, etc.)

Pepsi doesn't actually own "Yum" - that was spun off to the shareholders as a separate company, just as the PBG was.

-Andy
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!