Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why don't coke and pepsi sell a fridge pack with a mix of product?

there could be a "cola pack" with 4 cans of Classic, 2 cans of Cherry Coke, 2 cans of Black Cherry Vanilla Coke, 2 cans of C2, and 2 cans of caffeine-free coke (or coke with lime).

they could also have "diet packs" or "caffeine-free packs"... etc.

this would be a way to get people to try new products without having to buy a whole 2-liter, or 12-pack of the same thing.

also, because not everyone in the family likes the same soda. dad might like classic, mom drinks caffeine-free, sister drinks diet, and brother drinks cherry coke.

it just seems so obvious to me.

what do you think?
    banned

One major reason. Retooling the soda pop lines(most soda pop production is run on a single line) and or having added labor to hand sort cans is expensive and not realistically feasible.

[ 01-06-2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

can't they just hire some immigrant workers to do it? or buy one of those cool robots from japan?

c'mon. it can't be THAT hard to sort a few million cans. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]
    banned

Yea, the chip companies have been doing that for years. Can't be that difficult.

i think it'd be a good way to get people to try new products. also, it would help sell 12-packs, which have a higher profit margin than 2-liters.
    banned

Originally posted by popologist:
    i think it'd be a good way to get people to try new products. also, it would help sell 12-packs, which have a higher profit margin than 2-liters.
    How do you figure this?? Cans have the lowest margin of any package. If coke and Pepsi had their way there wouldn't even be any cans anymore, it would all be plastic. Also if you want 2 cans of this and 2 cans of that...this is the reason for several things like 1) shasta, faygo, store brands singlke can soda and 2) vending machines.
    You must live in an area where evidently 2 liters must be 5 or 6 bucks a piece because you don't want to spend the money for a "whole 2 liter"
    zabe said it also, the cost would be enormous. It would make your variety pack like 10 bucks or more due to having to pay the "immigrant workers" (as you said)to sort cans. Their pay has to come from somewhere, why not from the fools who want the variety pack in the first place.

[ 01-06-2006, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

You'd have to build up inventory of each individual flavor, and store them somewhere, taking the production line down between each flavor to clean it and restock it with the new cans. Then, you'd have to put all the cans back on the line to be packaged.

Sounds like too much work.

I don't know though, Big 8 , a soda pop company here, does Variety Packs...cola,lemon lime, cream soda and root beer.

Are they a big company? or just a small bottler? If they are doing much smaller runs, I'd guess it would be easier.

I know that Snapple has variety packs around here.. and you can find other variety stuff in club stores, like Sam's and BJ's.

Originally posted by Nick Laugher:
    I don't know though, Big 8 , a soda pop company here, does Variety Packs...cola,lemon lime, cream soda and root beer.
    exactly. it can't be THAT hard. it's not like i'm suggesting they build the pyramids out of soda cans! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-07-2006, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]
    banned