Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I've seen this before but I'll throw it out just in case. How come in alot of places its more expensive to buy a 20oz soda than it is to buy a 2-liter bottle? Just curious. Is it anything to do with the convinience factor? People paying more just to have something thats convinient? Thanks for your input.
    Gummi Cola...the best candy ever. Soda and candy in one hit.

in the UK the average price of a 2litre bottle of Coke is £1.45 which is around $2.79, a 500ml bottle is 89p which is $1.70.
    So for a extra 56 pence you get 1.5 litres, yes you pay for convenience.

[ 01-07-2007, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: jobbie ]

__nothing really matters, love is all we need__

The quick and most agreed upon answer is that most people want convenience over value. They are willing to pay a premium for a 20oz soda pop. Most of us would not want to drive a car,go to their health club,buy a soda out of a machine and on and on....a 2ltr bottle is too awkward to tote around. So they will pay a $1.25 for 20oz even though they can get a 2ltr for a cheaper price.

[ 01-07-2007, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

I hear in Japan they take convenience a little further, for example there are two or three sizes of Coffee in vending machines with the same price.

BTW most stores don't have Cold 2 ltr's.

rackitup -- That is 100% true. Coke vending machines would have the 8oz cans, 500ml cans, and 750ml tall boys for Y120 (approx $1.20 when I was there). The 500ml bottles and bottlecans (my favorite, since it was resealable aluminum) were Y150 ($1.50).

I loved Japanese vending machines. I took so many pictures of them. I found one in Hiroshima that sold can coffee, juice, pop, beer, scotch, sake, and even a 6-pack of beer. It was about 8 feet wide. Amazing machines, and they kept hot and cold drinks in the same machine.

You do pay for the convenience, but you also have to consider you're helping to pay for the cooler the 20 ounce are in, plus the electricity to run said cooler. The time to merchandise a case a case of 20 ounce is much more than for the shelf, so that is also a factor.

Originally posted by golee1:
    You do pay for the convenience, but you also have to consider you're helping to pay for the cooler the 20 ounce are in, plus the electricity to run said cooler. The time to merchandise a case a case of 20 ounce is much more than for the shelf, so that is also a factor.
    Trust me 20 oz. PET is Far and away the most profitable package/container the bottler sells.

Absolutely

It's also the most profitable for the retailer.

Man, I remember about 10 years ago when I could get 20 oz. Sprite's and Mello Yello's for $0.39 I wish they were still that cheap