Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In another thread, someone was talking about recarbonating a flat soda...which got me to thinking...anyone ever consider using other gases to make the soda fizzy? Like helium for example....

That was I comrade, I belive I am the only one here with a background in Chemistry AND Beverage manufactur/production.

Yes, You can use other gases in correlation with C02, Like some Root Beers use Nox (Nitrous Oxide) to give the root beer a more foamy taste. But a Nitrogen Gas set-up is bloody expensive, Even I only use gram cylanders instead of buying the special tanks and regulators. I don't think some of those gases who be heathly and some would just be impractical. I belive C02 and N0X are chosen because of their ease of bonding with other molecules. How is that?
    Tea Time! It\'s Tea time....<br /><br />Carbonated Tea.

Hey Boris, you've mentioned carbonated tea in a few recent postings, so what's up...have you created one yet...sounds like a creative idea that apparently those guys from Steap, Cricket and the other new one, what's it called again, Passion or something have already created and brought to market....??

Oh no, What Steap and Cricket have is a Green tea cola My Tea time is just sweetened carbonated tea, regular tea, Not green or herbal. I would patent the idea if I wasn't poor, But I am applying for a trade mark for Tea Time though.

Boris, do you know the Lipton ice tea in Europe (plain sweetned ice tea with carbonation)?

Greez,
    Denis

No, But I know of the Peach and Mango Ice Tea in europe, non carbonated. Please, I would like to see a picture of it. I may be able to get it since I have 2 comrades in europe. I may have already had it. But of all the varieties of tea I saw when I was over there were no carbonated ones.

I've not heard about NOx spiking Root Beers before. I did see an ad for an O2 spiked drink
    in an infomercial with Joey Meyers some years ago.

I suspect you could use other gasses to "carbonate" with, but there may be problems with:

1. The amount of pressure needed to keep the gasses in the liquid. If it takes 500psi, you will have a real problem with canning/bottling it!

2. The expense of the gasses used. The inert, or noble, gasses are expen$ive.

3. Will the gas react with the beverage?

It is interesting to note that CO2 does make beverage more acidic. I got a list of ph's from Coca Cola of their line, and Fanta Grape was the closest to neutral ph. Coke was the most acid, probably mostly from the Phosphoric Acid.

Yes, the old thing of placing a tooth in Coke(or other brands) syrup/soda is NOT realistic. But it is interesting to note that Hydrocarbonic Acid (carbonated water) is corrosive to some metals, including steel.

But from a health viewpoint I wouldn't sweat soda drinking disolving your teeth(or anything else inside you), unless you NEVER brush your teeth!
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...

I was reading a sticker posted on a dry ice freezer at work that had directions on how to carbonate drinks with dry ice. I've never thought about making sodas with dry ice before. I might just have to try it out sometime!

Shatter, try that and let me know how it works. All dry ice is of coarse is solid C02...

Boris, try this link..

http://www.liptonicetea.nl/products/

Peach, lemon, plain ice tea. They are available in carbonated and not carbonated.

The best way is to look at this internethyperlink, because my digital camera doesn't want to co-operate (I don't have a floppy drive in my new laptop).

I think they are also been sold in France.

Greez,
    Denis Minning Lipton Ice Tea carbonated