Bevboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I went to visit family in Memphis last week and took a route where I could stop at some of the bottlers in Tennessee and the northern parts of Alabama and Mississippi. Here are some pictures of stuff I found, and a few of the places too.

First stop was just over the mountain in Johnson City, TN. It was mentioned on another thread that Tri-City Beverage is bottling NuGrape and Nesbitt’s now, so I stopped and bought a case of each. The office manager told me that the product is new and retail distribution is still very limited. The bottles are ACL and the soda is HFCS.

Tri-City was also bottling an all-natural drink called Sulo that I hadn't seen before.

From Johnson City I headed south, through Knoxville towards McMinnville and Tullahoma. Between Sparta and McMinville this caught my attention enough to snap a picture

The sign says it all…
    The Dr Pepper/Sundrop distributor in McMinnville sells a *lot* of Sundrop, they have the usual C-S brands, Dr Pepper and Big Red.

In Tullahoma, there’s a cool Coke store beside the bottling plant – if you collect Coke stuff you need to see the inside of this place.

This promo car … truck … thing was parked in front of Prescott Distributing in downtown Tullahoma.

Geo. Dickel has tours now, they're located just north of Tullahoma. Highly recommend it if you like that kind of stuff.

Went south through Lynchburg, into Lincoln county. The distribution arrangement is interesting here. CCBCC has the Coke products (including Pibb) but Coke Tullahoma has Dr Pepper, and NuGrape. Sundrop Pulaski has the C-S brands, this is the first place I saw Sunkist Cherry Limeade (from Evansville). They also had Sundrop in deli bottles.

From there, my route went through Athens AL, to Madison, then west towards Corinth MS. North Alabama is dotted with small franchises and they have a lot of variety.

Sundrop in Madison AL has C-S brands, Big Red and Cheerwine. They get product from Mellow Moon, Temple Bottling (Squirt and Country Time in angle bottles), Choice USA, and Big Springs. They just recently picked up the 7Up franchise in N. Alabama from Buffalo Rock. Buffalo Rock has Sierra Mist now, and they've added Sunkist Peach recently.

The Faygo distributor in Huntsville carries the Double Cola products, including Ski. There is a 50th anniversary Ski can being produced by RC Evansville - here it is with the other cans I picked up on this trip.

Next stop was Corinth, knocked around town for a while and headed west, through Coke Weaver and Coke Clark territory. About 25 miles from Memphis (this was CCE already) I stopped at a BP station on US 72 that had Slice peach, grape, orange, strawberry and Delaware Punch in 20oz. The Slice was good until June 06 so I bought a couple of bottles. This was the only place where I saw Delaware Punch in 20oz., but I bought a fridgepack later at Schnucks in Collierville. I also saw it in eastern Arkansas, with 'NEW' stickers on the ends. The bottler code was NT, CCE-Nacogdoches TX.

The Schnucks around Memphis carry St. Louis brands like Fitz's and Vess. The Fitz's flavors (see below) are in 4 packs, haven't tried it yet. The Dr. Phizz is one of their store brands. I also found a cooler full of 12oz PET singles DP B&C at one of the Schnucks. Stayed in Memphis for a couple of days, then I wanted to take an extra day to go to Paragould, Dyersburg and Union City.

In Paragould I went to Mellow Moon bottling. They sell to the public, which is good because some of their brands/packages aren't available in the immediate area. I bought a case of Nehi Blue 20oz, plus some Strawberry and RC Cherry in cans. They have a cooler in the front office where you can buy single cans, that's where the vanilla Doc came from. This is their new sign...

Mellow Moon handles a lot of different products - their price sheet was 9 pages long.
    They buy some packages from Temple Bottling, like the 20oz. Sunkist Cherry Limeade in the angle bottle (MM bottles it also in a splash bottle). Also saw 1/2 liter 6-packs from Temple. Their own brand Mellow Moon has been practically discontinued, only the 20oz watermelon is listed on the price sheet.
    The warehouse was really amazing ... not so much the building itself but the contents! There were pallets of longnecks with blue plastic caps, 7Up, RC, Nehi orange, grape, peach, Sunkist, A&W, Big Red. The warehouse dude told me that longnecks are mostly sold through their territory around Jackson MS. All of their product is sweetened with HFCS as far as I know.
    Mellow Moon also bottles 1 liters of 7up, RC, Nehi Peach, Sunkist, Welch's, A&W and some mixers. I can't recall ever seeing a 1 liter of Nehi Peach...
    As for Nehi flavors, they bottle orange, grape, strawberry, peach and blue plus they have root beer in BNB. Mellow Moon rules!

Bottles with the blue caps are from Mellow Moon. The M soda is a private label for Mapco c-stores, the Vess was found in Union City and the pineapple is mentioned below.

Next stop was Union City TN. Locally made 8oz Coke poducts, plus lots of deli bottles, including RC (only at one c-store). I had not seen 10oz RC before, produced by RC Evansville. Also found RC and A&W longnecks from Evansville, and Flathead Lake Monster sodas. There were a few 7Up and RC 8-can "chill packs" in one c-store.
    Pepsi MidAmerica still has Crush grape, orange, diet orange, strawberry. No sign of Trop Twisters.

Passed by Pepsi/Dr Pepper Dyersburg bottling plant on the way to I-40. More deli bottles. Dyersburg is another Pepsi bottler with NuGrape, but I never see NuGrape in deli bottles.

In Nashville TN I found Big Pineapple but it was different than what I had found in Atlanta and Florida, this time it's bi-lingual - a Piña Grande. All-American carries all of the "Big" products except punch around Nashville - Big Red, Big Red floats, Big Peach, Big Pineapple. Cheerwine is also with All-American. All of the C-S brand longnecks I saw were from DPWJ.

Faygo, Fuze and Jolt are with another distributor that gets decent shelf space in c-stores.

Ski, Double Cola and Jumbo are distributed by Frontier. All the product comes from Evansville now. I saw the diet and caffeine free version but no cherry.

That's pretty much it, a good trip, thank God gas is .25 cheaper in Tennessee.

[ 06-10-2006, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]
    90 years of Cheer...1917-2007

Holy Road Trip!!!!!
    I just looked at your pictures, I will go back read your thoughts. That Sun Drop sign and truck are awesome. Looks like you had a great time. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

What an outstanding post. And some great pictures.
    But I didn’t see anything about Memphis BBQ?
    Did you at least go to some BBQ places? And if you did what kind of drinks did they serve?

Thanks for the comments.

I went to Corky's BBQ in Collierville - I thought the dry rub was wayyyy better than the wet. We were going to eat at the Commissary one day but ended up at a Huey's, it's a local chain that has live music and pretty good burgers.

Soft drinks were the usual Coke/Pepsi brands. The Huey's in Cordova sold beer by the pitcher, it's a good place to go and listen to local bands.

We spent Saturday night on Beale St. during the Music Fest, but I don't remember anything about eating there. Not that I didn't, I just don't remember anything about it.

I’m told Corky’s is very good.
    What about the Memphis in may BBQ cook off?
    I think you need to get back in the car and go back to Memphis and take part in all the great Memphis in May events.

May 18-20, 2006. It's the Super Bowl of Swine. The College of Pig Knowledge. The Granddaddy of Grills. The Largest Pork Barbecue Cooking Contest on the Planet.

I’m Jewish and I would not have missed this if I went to Memphis.
    But I love real BBQ I guess forbidden fruit is the sweetest.

http://www.memphisinmay.org/

This is my grill/smoker http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

I'll just wait for the Lexington (NC) BBQ festival this fall. It brings in more than 100,000 people!

I almost went to the one in Owensboro KY ealier this month but the timing wasn't right.

Thanks for the post, it makes me more excited about my late summer road trip.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

where the heck did you get that slice at? isnt slice discontinued?

Gee, Lepke, you think you could find someone there who's cooking some Beef or Chicken as well if you go.

Are those Fitz's made with cane sugar?

I might be in New Orleans in September. What do they have of interest?
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...

dp - What's the destination?

PS
    I should have mentioned something about the Livingston Chocolate company, they're kinda unusual. It's located north of Cookeville, TN and they produce specialty drinks (teas, coffee-based, etc.) for other companies. The can shown above is their own drink, it's a Yoo-Hoo type. They used to produce the Tasty Chocolate drink that I found in this area a couple of years ago.

[ 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]