Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WI/MN Soda Run

Here are some pictures from my run through Wisconsin and Minnesota to get some soda in glass for my machine (and for some friends). As you can tell one of my stops is the Winona, MN Coke plant.

My first stop was Stone Cellar Brewpub in Appleton, WI. I just found this place and I called about getting some root beer. They said that they were out but may be bottling some on the next few days. When I stopped there they said that they were still out of root beer and will not be bottling any for a few days. Oh well, that just meant that I had to get some more non-root beer! I had some of their honey-wheat beer with my lunch. Very tasty. On my way out of Appleton I passed a McDonald’s Classic in a gas station. I’ve never seen one called this before!

My next stop was Seymour Bottling in Seymour, WI. This was my first time at the plant. In the past I have just picked up some at the nearby grocery store. Wow, what a place. Old bottles from closed-up bottlers stacked everywhere (all they do are returnables).

My next stop was Twig’s in Shawano, WI. I picked up 10 more cases than I dropped off and I got quite a shock at the final bill. They just upped the deposit on the bottles to $10 a case! I guess they were having a problem with people not retuning them. I also misjudged the height of the cases from Seymour (since I had 7 oz. bottles before and this time I got 10 oz. bottles). Hmmmm, they were too tall to fit a second layer in the trailer except for in the very middle. The guy gave me a strange look when he saw all of the other bottles that I had when I reorganized.

Across the street there was an old building and it looks like there are two cappers on the porch/dock!

I drove around the block to get some gas and saw the front of the building that had the cappers out back. It used to be Farmers Brewing Company. You can see a Sun-Drop truck in the background on the left.

More pics and info later!

Thanks for the pics Dr. Galaga... I'm amazed of the finest american architecture, it's so beautiful... the houses... the buildings... please post a pic of the Coca-Cola Bottling plant at Winona, MN. I'll stay tuned...

My dad was from winona, and I was just there. Great little town.

Funny I have been to Twig's numerous times and always thought the building across the street was the old brewery. I never noticed the sign up near the top before. I guess I better get some new glasses. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Collector of soda cans - Most wanted can Goody Root Beer

This is good stuff ... keep posting!

I'm going through eastern MN/western WI next month and I'm looking for recommendations. So far I plan on visiting Marcel's, August Schell, Winona, Spring Grove, City Brewing in LaCrosse and Leinenkugel.

Any other ideas?

I read that Spring Grove had switched from 10oz to 12 oz bottles - does anyone still find the 10oz?
    90 years of Cheer...1917-2007

Yes, Spring Grove switched over to the long necks (from the deli bottles). I had to stop at a number of places to find some. It cost me $5.39 (plus tax) for a six pack. I'll post pics when I get home since everything is packed away. Boy, the back end of my truck is getting low!

Today I stopped at the Winona Coke plant.

Here is a few picks of what you see when you walk in the door before you get to the office.

The son in-law gave my uncle and I a quick tour of the bottling line. I asked about taking pictures and he said not this time since they are working on some things with it. It was pretty interesting to see how a larger bottling operation works. And no, they were not bottling when I was there.

I tried to stop at the New London Kist plant yesterday. What a mess! The main road in to town was closed (river town) so I had to go a few miles down to get in to town. I took me awhile to find my way around town (due to the detour) and they were closed. I looked for a grocery store, but couldn't find one on my way out. I did stop by a store in Stevens Point to pick up some Point beer and pop. That is one more place for you to stop Cheer-wined, or you should find some on your route through Wisconsin.
    I will probably make a few stops on my way home in a few days.

I don't know if I would go out of my way to New London the last time I was there they had less than 20 cases left. The owner who is the 3rd generation doesn't really want to run the place anymore and was trying to sell the place. If it didn't sell he was going to close it down. It may be closed now so I would suggest calling before going.

Dr Galaga - I don't think you would have found their product in the grocery store anyway so no loss. I checked the last time I was there.
    Collector of soda cans - Most wanted can Goody Root Beer

Beautiful pics of the Winona Coke Bottling Plant! Thanks Dr. Galaga! [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW... what are those orange soda bottles?... Fanta?

It's a shame that we may have to scratch another bottler off our list. I remember you saying before that the plant was for sale, but I didn't realize that it was a sell it or shut it thing.
    Winona Coke also bottles Sun Rise drinks (I wish that they did bottle Fanta because I had a chance to get a few cases of 10 oz. bottles). I only saw Orange and a red colored one. They said that they stopped doing some flavors like Cream Soda because they only sold a few cases a year. The Sun Rise bottles are just like the Coke bottles, you have to have the same kind of empties to trade in.