Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I found some Mountain Dew in glass bottles here, and I was wondering, if I got a capper and some bottle caps, like used for beer bottles, could I refill these bottles with mountain dew? Are all caps the same size? And will I have any problem with it going flat or anything?

Also, does anybody know of any place I could get the glass bottles any cheaper than the link above? (or locally?)

Product will go flat and most likely develop bacteria problem.
    banned

Why is that?

If you have empty glass bottles around chances are they contain some type of bacteria. You could try boiling them in hot water prior to product transfer. The caps themselves also need to be as clean as possible to avoid contamination.

Once you open any carbonated beverage the carbonation immediately begins to escape. When you pour the MTD from one container to another you will additionally lose carbonation as the liquid is disturbed and comes into contact with air. It will hold some but after while it will rapidly go flat.
    banned

Why will it go flat? Isn't the cap sealed? Why would it be any different when I do it than the bottler? Would this be any different than doing the same thing with 20oz plastic bottles? I refill those all the time, no problem.

why are you asking the question when you seem so convinced it will work? Go ahead do it if you do not like results stop. To me it seems like a waste of time. As a side note beverages direct is the best place to buy. They have the cheapest shipping around.
    If it\'s in glass, it probably kicks a@*

Originally posted by glassbottlesrule:
    As a side note beverages direct is the best place to buy. They have the cheapest shipping around.
    I second that.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

I'm just asking a simple question...why? Why would it go flat?

Two elements will keep a liquid carbonated: pressure and temperature. More carbon dioxide will dissolve in a cold liquid, even more if the liquid is under pressure. Soda manufacturers bottle cold liquid at high pressure to obtain desired carbonation: pressure at the surface of the liquid inside the bottle forces the CO2 to stay dissolved within the soda. When you open the bottle, the pressure environment changes, the soda starts loosing its fizz, and there is nothing you can do to reverse the process in your kitchen.

Carbon dioxide has anti-microbial purpose. Reduce the amount of dissolved CO2 in the soda and you run the risk of bacteria contamination after a while, even if you use clean bottles.

Will they go anymore flat after the cap has been put on? Like I said, I refill 20oz bottles all the time. While I agree that they are probably less carbonated than the original 2 liter bottle, it isn't noticeable, and once the cap is on it stays equally carbonated until I open it.