Bevboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mello Yello

Ok, I have never had the guts to ask this, but here it goes.

I'm was an avid surge and citra drinker back when they were around, and an avid vault drinker now. But I here how surge was supposed to phase out mello yello to compete better with Dew. But in the end coke stuck behind mello yellow and sadly killed surge altogether.

But I gotta ask, what the hell is mello yello? I am 100% serious. I have never seen or tasted a mello yello in my life, am I missing something here?
    3 Best Sodas of All-Time: Surge - Citra - Vault<br />Surge is back as Vault! Now let\'s get Citra back! <a href=\"http://savecitra.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://savecitra.org</a>

Indeed you are. Mello Yello is 1000x better than Mountain Dew imho.

Imagine Mt Dew with a little less caffeine, and accordingly, a much sweeter taste(because caffeine is bitter), and slightly less carbonation, and you have Mello Yello. Mello Yello's stomping grounds are in the deep south, from North Carolina, all the way west to Kentucky, and then down toward Alabama and back up through the Carolinas. Apparently it's popular enough there to merit its simultaneous sale beside Vault.

Sadly, it seems even here in one of Mello Yello's last "strongholds", Coke is trying to phase it out. In most convenience store coolers, 20 oz. bottles have been moved to the bottom shelves. We do still have it in most restaurant fountains, but I have to wonder how long. It's a shame, too. I tried Vault, and really wanted to like it. I just couldn't. Give me the sweet, rich taste of Mello Yello any day over Vault.

As an aside, when I traveled to Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, I was surprised to actually see Mello Yello in a few places. I assumed Coke would kill it outside of the South. Glad to see it hanging on, albeit barely.

[ 08-06-2006, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Smoothcat ]
    Be smooth!

I bought some in Winona, like 4 fridge packs. I thought it was going away in my area, but I saw big can fridgepacks out and about.

Great drink, and very refreshing.

Smoothcat - Sorry but 20 oz. Mello Yello is now discontinued from our warehouse in central PA as of last week. Guess Vault is taking over.

we still sell mello yello side by side with vault in all of our c-stores. mello yello has always held it's own in this area, but since vault has showed up, sales have been down, but not to merit a discontinuation of it in our plant...yet. and honestly, for that to happen, it's gonna have to really dry up in sales, because as of right now it's still holding strong. vault is selling pleasingly well.

i just saw new packaging on the mellow yellow here today.

yeah, we've had the new packaging of MY in our area for a while now.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.
    3 Best Sodas of All-Time: Surge - Citra - Vault<br />Surge is back as Vault! Now let\'s get Citra back! <a href=\"http://savecitra.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://savecitra.org</a>