Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Some interesting things happening here with PBG and Dr Pepper, which is under Pepsi control.

1) At the local Wal-Mart, Dr Pepper has vanished, only Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi One, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red and Sierra Mist remain. It did remain in 20 oz. at the front of the store, but not in 2L, not in 24 packs either.

2) At the other local Wal-Mart, they moved Dr Pepper and Schweppes next to Pepsi, but next to 7Up/RC.

3) At markets here, Dr Pepper sections have become smaller, and are not filled. There's only about 1 slot at Giant Eagle for 12 packs, and maybe 3 for 2L's. PBG has done an awful job putting Red Fusion out here, rarely is it ever seen, until a month ago, it was nowhere to be found.

but maybe the fate of Dr Pepper has been seen today when I walked into work, and one of the employees carried in a 20 oz. Mr. Green. Anyone heard anything about Dr Pepper and PBG relations, figured the dropping of 7-Up would bring this, but figured some kind of formal announcement would be made. Mr. Green can't be bought anywhere here unless you go 40 miles east into Washington County, then you'll find it since Dr Pepper there is DPSU. Anyone have any knowledge as to what's going on? It appears Pepsi here in a couple of months lost all DPSU ties.

Pepsi can not sell Mr Green and Dr. Pepper both.

As for Wal mart I think I heard that DPSU made a deal to put all DPSU in same section no matter who sold them.

Also DPSU can not be happy with Mnt Dew Livewire pushing on Sunkist.

Dr Pepper along w/7Up was sold w/Pepsi stuff at Wal-Mart here. Our local WM doesn't sell 7Up/RC products, meaning Dr Pepper is as good as dead here if it goes over there. You can't hardly buy 7Up in the Western 2 MD counties anymore since Pepsi dropped it. Seeing Mr. Green today is pretty much telling me Dr Pepper's days are doomed.

Originally posted by datruth:
    Pepsi can not sell Mr Green and Dr. Pepper both.

As for Wal mart I think I heard that DPSU made a deal to put all DPSU in same section no matter who sold them.
    Correct. EVERY wal*mart I've seen has had DP and 7up next to each other.

If Pepsi in any area is selling Mr Green (which I hear has tanked most everywhere its been rolled out) in tandem with Dr Pepper, DPSU can and WILL pull the franchise. I can quickly see Coke bottlers jumping on DP in areas where Pepsi is giving up on it. I can't think of a situation where DP has transitioned from Pepsi to Coke as of late, anyone know of any?

(Although in DPSU bottler controlled areas, it would be pretty obvious if DP went to those bottlers like ABC)

new shelf schematics at wal mart include 1) coke section, 2) Pepsi section, 3) cadbury section (dpsu, and 4) all other brands. whether or not pepper is by Pepsi or coke it is supposedly going to go into the cadbury section. It is all a share number/shelf allocation thing has Nothing to do with money (so wallyworld says)
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

Here there is no DPSU section at all. Before it was never divided. I saw that same guy w/another 20 oz. Mr. Green today. Checked Martin's, Giant Eagle, Food Lion, and Wal-Mart, and it seems Dr Pepper is around a little at the actual markets, and there was no sign of Mr. Green. Mr. Green is in this area, but I haven't found it yet. I saw it last summer in a cooler at Giant Eagle for a week, then it never came back. I didn't know it was anything slightly resembling Dr Pepper at the time. This mystery still has a lot to be solved.

Dr Pepper-PBG relations continue to be good...not great. However, there is no way PBG will give up DP. There is also no way Cadbury would want to take DP to the independant bottlers. Look at what is happening with 7 Up in a lot of areas. Cadbury let the Pepsi bottlers sell Livewire since it is billed as an "in-out". If it doesn't go "out", there will be franchise implications. That's what a pretty informed person told me.

However you have to consider Sunkist isn't in any PBG territory that I know of, some indies and Pepsi Americas may have it or Crush, so I doubt it would effect many places.

MD LiveWire does taste different than a typical orange to me. I can't see where a typical orange really conflicts w/it, as there is that aftertaste of MD that won't be appealing to some drinkers, why I'd keep a Slice around.

PBG has Sunkist in at least 2 big markets...Atlanta and Miami. They can not afford any additional share losses in Atlanta.