Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have some bad news for my fellow Dr. Pepper fans.

I recently visited Amsterdam with my boyfriend and I noticed Dr. Pepper was for sale in the local stores.

I took a looksee at the ingredient list and towards the end of the list was sucralose.

Yes, sucralose.

And this was regular Dr. Pepper, not the diet version.

I have a feeling we will see sucralose in Dr. Pepper in the near future in the US. It's being put into non-diet products like bread here in this country and nobody seems to be complaining, so it's only a matter of time before it ends up in our soft drinks.

I dunno, that's quite a declaration.

I definitely can attest that artificial sweeteners are getting broader use. Recently I saw them in children's cereals that claimed to have less sugar.

But Dr Pepper? I can't imagine such a change without a horrendously large backlash.

That's disgusting!

Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
    Recently I saw them in children's cereals that claimed to have less sugar.

But Dr Pepper? I can't imagine such a change without a horrendously large backlash.
    They could slowly mix it in over time like they did with HFCS!
    Or, make it half and half.

[ 08-18-2006, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Galaga ]

Better talk to Coke about it as they own Pepper in Europe.

I was to understand that HFCS was done because of the sugar embargo of the early 70's and originally 7Up did it because the major soda brands were afraid of the price point of soft drinks as the price of sugar went up. Therefore HFCS was invented and they actually found it cut production costs and they were able to keep the same price point. It was not a gradual shift away from cane sugar but almost instantaneous shift from cane sugar to HFCS.

I am going strictly on memory but that is why Dublin Dr Pepper is the BEST. By the way, the Pepsi Bottler in Abilene, TX <AbTex Bev.> also produces cane sugar Dr Pepper in 10oz PET bottles and a 6 pack will be on sale for $2.50 in the local market. One of my favorites when I go back that way. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Later.

Fixx, you're correct, I believe. I'm pretty sure the HFCS switch was instantaneous, not gradual.

HFCS is used both because of the sugar embargo, but more importantly because of the corn lobby in our nation's capital.

The same corporations that lobby for continued corn subsidies also lobby for the sugar quota. In other words, the price of sugar is artificially high and HFCS is artificially low. Soft drink bottlers usually don't care to spend more than they have to to sweeten their products.

It will be interesting to see how increased ethanol production will eventually affect the price of HFCS.

i'm confused. isn't sucralose = splenda?

and... are you sure you didn't see "sucrose"... which is sugar?

i just can't see hfcs being replaced by splenda. something here isn't right.
    banned

And isn't splenda much more expensive than both HFCS and sugar?