Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This past winter I picked up a case of old 10 oz. glass Sprite bottles - the kind with the embossed dots. On the bottom of all of the bottles were different National Parks, none with just cities. These came from Southern LP of Michigan.
    I recently picked up an 8-pack of 16 oz. Sprite bottles (with the embossed dots) in Southern Minnesota. Same thing, there were only National Parks on the bottom.
    I then went to my bottle collection and pulled down a 10 oz. Sprite that I think I picked up in Southern Indiana. Yep, a National Park on the bottom.
    What's up with this? Did they just put National Parks on the bottom of all Sprite bottles?

Good question,I've always wondered that too. Wish I had an answer. I've been buying 16oz Sprite since the early 90's from bottlers in Iowa, the Michigan UP and the one in Winona, MN, and they've all had this feature on them. I've got a 1964 Sprite bottle stashed away here that has a national park on the bottom.

-Andy
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!

Default Antique Sprite Bottle (How do you tell the age?)

Hi, I just got a 28oz. Sprite bottle, still full, and was wondering if there's any way to tell when they were made. The bottle says Grand Canyon Nat'l Park on the bottom, has the number 61 on the side near the bottom, and says 1 pint 12 Oz on the label. Can someone help?

Old guy mode on.

Back in the day, Coke bottles had the names of cities and Sprite bottles had the names of National Parks. These were, at the time, the only two products of the Company, and, IIRC, as they expanded later, new products (Mr Pibb, Fanta, etc) did not have this feature. Although, again IIRC, TaB and then diet Coke had cities as well.

A common misconception was that, relative to Coke, these represented the bottler who originally had owned the bottle. This was not true because, in any particular area, the vast majority of bottles would be returned to the same local bottler and thus 80 or 90% of bottles should be local, or at least nearby towns, on them, and large cities would have far more bottles in circulation than smaller ones. However, the bottles were always a very random mix of bottles.

While I have no links or references, I think that the Company just issued a random listing of towns where it had bottlers on the bottom of bottles (the towns listed were always towns with bottlers, not small towns or suburbs) and when it launched Sprite it just came up with the National Parks variant, with no realationship to which of the then 100s of independent bottlers had purchased the bottle.

It was a common game for everybody to buy a Coke and play a game where whoever got the bottle "from" the furthest away or nearest to the current location had to pay or got his free or whatever the local practice was.

Slightly less old guy mode on.

Even into the 1990, it was possible to tell which company was the local bottler from the "Bottled by ____ " language on the side of the can or on the cap/crown. Today, even with only about seven companies (CCE, Northern New England, CCBCC, Swire, CCBCU, and Arbata, and Philadelphia) having 98% of the country, they all just read "bottled by a member of the CC Bottler's Association, Atlanta".

Quote Originally Posted by vintagebottledude View Post
    has the number 61 on the side near the bottom, help?
    Well, since Sprite was introduced in 1961, I'd guess your bottle was made that debut year.
    Last edited by Android; 05-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.

I noticed that with Sprite returnables back in the 70's. I thought it was left over from some contest.
    Life is too short to drink crummy sodas...

Thanks! i guess my bottle's pretty old. Anyone wanna buy it?

I was going through the Soda Spectrum back issue CD http://www.sodaspectrum.com/home that I just got and I found the answer in issue #5:

"The National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior - Keepers of Many Beautiful Lands and Historical Sites, wants every American to get out and visit one of more of the valued sites today, just like they did back in 1966. In 1966, the Federal Government began heavily promoting our National Parks and trying to get people to visit them. As part of this grand promotion, ‘Operation Golden Eagle’, the Coca-Cola Company produced a line of 7 & 10 ounce Sprite bottles with the names of 36 National Parks and monuments to promote further use and enjoyment of these Federal recreation areas."
    The 36 parks are:
    Acadia National Park
    Big Bend National Park
    Everglades National Park
    Gettysburg National Military Park
    Grand Canyon National Park
    Mammoth Cave National Park
    Olympic National Park
    Rocky Mountain National Park
    Saratoga National Historical Park
    Sequoia National Park
    Zion National Park
    Hot Springs National Park
    White Sands National Park
    Isle Royale National Park
    Great Smokey Mountains National Park
    Ft. Sumter National Park
    Shiloh National Military Park
    Lincoln Memorial
    Joshua Tree National Park
    Yellowstone National Park
    Glacier National Park
    Crater Lake National Park
    Wind Cave National Park
    Mt. McKinley National Park
    Cumberland Gap National Historical Park
    Hawaii National Park
    Petrified Forest National Monument
    George Washington Carver National Monument
    Death Valley National Monument
    Mound City Group National Monument
    Scotts Bluff National Monument
    Platt National Monument
    Grand Teton National Park
    Statue of Liberty National Monument
    Chickamauga National Military Park
    Last edited by Dr. Galaga; 07-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.

That's cool, Although I have to wonder about the date of 1966. I have an old Sprite bottle in my hand right now with Grand Canyon National Park on the bottom and a date code of 1964. Maybe that's when they started doing that on those smaller bottle sizes, as the bottle I have here is 16oz.

-Andy

I have a old sprite bottle that has Fort Sumter national monu on it date on side is 75 does any one know about this ?