Bevboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surge

Just to share a little story which happened to me this past weekend.
    I had been surfing and needed to get my "fill of grease after being in the water". I stopped by my local Jack In The Box.
    While I was waiting a couple came in to get their "fill of grease" and a soda out of the fountain. They tried (as they so eloquently put it) "the citrus soda". The wife (generation X age) drank a bit of it to taste beforehand. Then told her husband (also Generation X age) this has no flavor to it. I found myself muttering "well that is Surge for you".
    Thought that was an interesting story because if their target market is saying things like that. Then that brand is not long for this life. Well maybe so, CCE will continue to pump money into the brand and keep it alive.
    I am actually curious. Anyone seen the Nielsens on the brand and its sales trends?
    Later.

Eric Guest

I can tell you in the Lincoln NE area, that Surge is improving a little. Overall, I don't know the sales trend. Mountain Dew took 30 years to get where they are today, so Surge has a ways to go. Also, there are so many soft drinks and non-carbonated drinks out there vieing for market share that any new product introduced will have a hard time.
    Pepsi's new Storm, Storm Light, and Pepsi One
    are not faring well, they are giving it away over here.

Once again, I find that my opinion has taken over for what I have to say about Surge. I find more and more people saying that Surge is awsome because 'It gives me an extra boost of energy' or 'The sugar amount in this drink makes me hyper'. Well I think that what they say is bull****! Surge's reputation is just in its name to them. They don't even care about the flavor. Maybe I'm just talking to the wrong people.

Why do u think people drink Jolt? Or chew Caffeine gum? Not because of the taste (because it nasty) but because of what it can do (caffeine rush).

Anywayz Surge goes in the same catagory as Mountian Dew, for me that is. Which means i really don't like it. Only cool thing about it is that its the color of anti-freeze. IMHO atleast.

PK, Typo Queen

psalife Guest

Well, I guess I gotta stand up for my fav. Coke product. Here are my thoughts, I think that SURGE is very diffrent from "Dew" becouse it seems more like a Dew/Citra mix.
    As for the fact that SURGE has little flavor, Just like Diet Coke SURGE is very gross in fountain form it is usally very tasteless, I dont know why. The reason I like SURGE is that its is a mild citrus soda. The reason I hate Dew is that it is so sweet that it makes it hard for me to drink a 20 oz, Its also way too carbonated to "chug" it has the WORST diet version that I have EVER had! Yes It does anger me when people try to sell SURGE as a drink that makes you super hyper, becouse its just not true. Some people drink Dew just becouse they think it gives you less energy. SURGE is always generalized by parents with small kids becouse of the above reason. I think that in the future we will see more light citrus drinks such as the Jolt Citrus blast. SURGE has its problems but most a becouse of the marketing, not the drink itself. SURGE has been treated very poorly by everybody. Most of whom do know all the facts such as parents, teachers, and your general Pepsi drinker. All I ask is that it is judged more fairly that it.

Thanks,
    Avery

Poor marketing??? What are you talking about?? Coke is one of the masters of marketing and most of that is distribution which they have the best system in the world so I dont buy this marketing. Imagine if brands like SoBe or some of the other New Age brands had that kind of system in place where would they be for sales.

Fact: The best marketing is distribution and Coke did its best to get it everywhere and was pretty successful. At that point it became a choice of the consumer and the pull through was not quite there. Makes you wonder what the future is for Surge now that they are trying to sell Citra throughout the US.
    Later.

Hans Guest

I estimate good that i-gotta for mine fave are above. Coke product. My thoughts are, I think here that CURRENT DRAW is very diffrent "of the rope" because, which seems he to more like one Dew/Citramischung. Which concerns the fact the fact that CURRENT DRAW has few flavour straight like Diaetkoks is in the well form, which is very tasteless it usally, i don't knows why very roughly. The reason which I like CURRENT DRAW, is that its a mild Zitrusfruchtsoda is. Reason, which I hate rope, is that it that it forms it hard, so that I drink 20 an ounce its also way also "chug is so sweet, " it the FALSe diet version has, which I had AT ALL! He annoys me, if people try to sell CURRENT DRAW as beverage labels you superhyper, because its even does not align. Soak from of some people even becouse, which they think that it gives you fewer energy. CURRENT DRAW becomes always from the source materials with small Zickleinbecouse above of the g.

Hans

psalife Guest

hi,
    Let me clarify my past statement. I am 15 I go to high school here is whats happening at my school and others in my distict. At my school we have both Coke and Pepsi machines. Everybody goes to the pepsi machines becouse thats what "cool" people our age do. The few who go to the coke machines are "losers" why I ask? well becouse coke's ads dont appeal to young people. I even have to admit as a fan I think they suck, they seem designed for old people. On the other end Pepsi's ads are cute an loveable yet also they chalenge Coke head on. With catchy slogans and popular people (Tom Green) They are daring and diffrent coke. Doesnt seem to realize that it is loseing its young crowd FAST! As for Citra I can tell you here it is doing HORRIBLE sells just a little than half the units SURGE does.
    To me Citra is "SURGE lite" but I think Fresca is better. As for Sobe Im not quite sure about its reason for success. Sobe is a "cool" drink the herbal extracts sure help. I dont know how well it sells compaired to SURGE( I dont have any numbers). I dont claim to know everything, And I do know that many people just dont like SURGE I respect that. But many people dont drink it becouse its isnt "cool". And that isnt right.

Thanks,
    Avery

dr pepperman Guest

Why would todays young people want to drink a beverage that has the word mellow in its name?

personally, our schools(baltimore co. area) are OWNED by coke. but from what ive noticed, no one really buys them. ive never seen one student go up to a coke machine and buy a coke product. plenty of teachers do it though. i personally dont like pepsi or coke products, but if i had to pick id pick pepsi.