Bevboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip report

This is what I found between NY state and Florida.
    In Roanoke Virgina Mello Yello Cherry started showing up in 20oz, 2 litres and fridge packs. Also found MY Afterglow. These could be found until about Jacksonsville, FL. No Afterglow in Florida. Also Fanta in 20oz bottles at 2/$1.00. From Va to Florida Fanta is in good supply in all sizes and flavors (no lemon). Also in Roanoke I found the Switch and Root 66 Black Cherry.
    In Inwood, WV I found Sprite Remix Slurpee at 7-11.
    After Roanoke I took a different route than I did when I did this trip in 9/02. I took a drive farther west in Va and NC.
    Mounty Airy, NC (Mayberry) was where I had my first good find. 12oz glass of 7-UP, RC, A&W Rootbeer, Cheerwine, and Sundrop plus Nehi grape and orange. I left some cash there.
    From there I headed to Charlotte, NC. Most every stop had 10oz glass of Pepsi, Coke, Sprite and some also had Dr Pepper and Sunkist. Sunkist was Pepsi bottled. I forgot who did DP although I think it was Pepsi.
    In Charlotte MY Afterglow was promoted with billboards. Also found Pepsi in 1/2 liter 6 packs wrapped in plastic. Sunkist Pineapple started showing up.
    Crossing over to South Carolina I found Frostie products in 4 pack glass at an IGA in Darlington and also in Darlington I found a new Dr Pepper copy called Dr Celeste that just hit the market(other flavors also) This is a private label for convience stores under the umbrella of The Pantry. www.thepantry.com to see store names and locations. After Darlington I resumed travel on the route I took last year
    The Shell station in Darien, Georgia off I-95.
    still has Frostie and Grappette. Stopped for the night in Brunswick, GA and hit some spots I did last year. How things changed in 9 months. After promising some co-workers Mello Melon last trip I returned empty handed. Not this time. MY melon was in fridge packs in every store. Also found another stash of 12oz glass Cheerwine, Sundrop, Sunkist, and Welches Grape. The Cheerwine and Sundrop were from West Jefferson Dr Pepper as they were in NC. No bottler on the Sunkist or Welches. These may have been here last year and I missed them. I found them in plastic A&W picnic coolers by the front registers. The lids were down so unless yuou lifted you had no idea what was inside. No Afterglow.
    Daytona, Fl has Coke in 24oz 6 packs plus Barqs in 8oz glass. In Broward County I found Faygo 8oz glass six packs at a Publix. Orange Cream, Diet Chocolate, Redpop and diet Redpop, and one other. The carton said something about being a limited item. Pepsi still has 7-UP so no Sierra Mist. You can get SM in the Keys (along with Boylans). I don't know about Dade County. Super Target had Batch #6 Green Apple Soda but no Green River like in September.
    Throughout the trip Orange, Grape, and Strawberry Crush was common in 12oz glass 6 packs.
    Must have been to early in the year for Cokes Nascar bottles though I did find 3 different commemorative bottles ( Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 100 years in Brunswick, GA and some Cuban festivel).
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

are you sure those Barqs were 8 ounce glass? I've only seen 12 ounce glass NR Barqs- be it in person or in pictures.

andy
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!

oh andy - barq's is made in 8oz glass NRs by coke cce out of plant MR. they've been made for years and cce-michigan's had them since they brought in diet coke, sprite as well. i have my first six pack upstairs and they have a 1998 date on them.

FAYGO 8OZ GLASS 6PK? Who made these? Limited Package? I must get my hands on some.
    woot woot

I also bought some of the 8oz Faygos while in Florida. Faygo is owned by National Beverages, Fort Lauderdale, FL. The caps say Faygo Beverages, Detroit, MI 48207. The bottles say on the neck "8 OZ Collectors Series", and on the bottle "Feigenson Bros. Bottling Works Est. 1907" Below that the "Flavor". They are 8oz. ACL bottles.

Where exactly in Brunswick, GA did you find the mello yellow melon? And how is it?
    Tea Time! It\'s Tea time....<br /><br />Carbonated Tea.

Walmart, Harveys, and Winn Dixie. All on or near Glynn road the first Brunswick exit southbound or last if you are northbound.

Walmart, Harveys, and Winn Dixie. All on or near Glynn road the first Brunswick exit southbound or last if you are northbound. If you are ever in the area I would stop at Harveys, they also have the glass bottles I reported.

Tell me, Dr Pepperman... when you make these trips around the country, do you go with a specific purpose, and finding sodas are just a fun thing to do on the way, or do you go on these trips just to go on a soda hunt? I ask, because i'm debating with myself on doing the same thing, to go visit my sister but really to hunt down some Mello Yello Melon and Barq's Floatz. Plus Abita Root Beer, SunDrop, Blue Nehi, etc. etc.

I could go for an Abita right about now. Their beer is awesome too, if you ever get a chance try their Purple Haze flavor.

A soda roadtrip across the country would be amazing. I wish I worked for the food network, maybe I could convince them to give me a giant RV and a big budget for soda

I've bought Abita in a liquor store on the Maryland/Delaware line.

Now that sounds like a great idea for a show.. anyone know someone who could pitch it to Food Network? lol.